• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mis-guded busway, how t should be done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
We sort of have that in Leeds. Only the York Road is more of a dual carriageway than a motorway.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Its a long section with no turnoffs at the motorway junctions (so in the middle to reduce conflicts) and crossing a bridge (main reason for segregation) no different here really to buses that travel down motorways.

stut

Established Member
Plenty of bus routes like that in LA, too - with station-like bus stops at overbridges. It's rather disconcerting waiting for a bus in the middle of a massive freeway.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Making it a guideway would mean it would have taken up a little less space, but would have been more expensive I guess

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I thınk I'll have a go on ıt on Sunday, before the Toon match at Belfast Cafe Kadıköy.

The oddest thıng about ıt ıs that buses drıve on the left, lıke the UK, as the statıon platforms are ın the mıddle.

daniel3982

York Road in Leeds (and there's a road heading west out of Bradford like it too) looks horrendous with a guided busway down the middle.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
ıt was very quıck, the buses are great. However, they were all packed. I suspect thıs was due to day trıppers doıng the whole route (lıke me) as ıt's only about a quıd to do the whole route

Badger

My eyes are confused, half your ı's have dots and half don't D;

Hehe.

Anyway, Leıcester has something a bit like this but on a much smaller scale and actually nothing like it at all...

Narborough Road. One mile about of eight lanes in four carriages, done like this:

------------> local slow & buses
<------------ local slow & buses
==========>
==========> 50mph dual carriageway
<========== 50mph dual carriageway
<==========
------------> local slow & buses
<------------ local slow & buses

Seems to work well. But the buses aren't very regular so it's not exactly rapid transit.

Looks like this: http://www.leics.gov.uk/completed_scheme-2.jpg

Edit:

Wait a sec, we tried it here! And everyone hated it.

http://www.greenflag.com/news/stories/assets/N0072501289816510890A.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.