• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Misanthropy (Dislike of other people)

Status
Not open for further replies.

43021HST

Established Member
I generally think us rail enthusiasts are an anti-social bunch, although I'm just wondering how many of us experience a consistent dislike of the vast majority of the human race? I've even noticed many rail enthusiasts dislike other rail enthusiasts. Well as for the vast majority of 'normal passengers' going about their business, well they're just potential impedimenta to get in the way of a cracking photo! Although strangely enough our hobby can be a very social one.

I know it's not the healthiest way to think but generally I think the majority of the human race, are complacent, ignorant, fickle, unprincipled, reactionary and conformist. With some very notable exceptions, like I remind myself that those who are able to think differently, have given us many gifts, from ground breaking scientific discoveries, to amazing inventions and new ways of thinking. But I'm reminded that those kinds of people are outnumbered by what I call droids or 'normallows'. I mean just look at how popular chart music is, or how the most formulaic stuff on television is the most viewed. I don't understand the phenomenon of many people seeming to 'like' something purely because it's popular. I wonder if they associate that 'thing' with making them feel part of the group rather than liking the 'thing' for it's own qualities.

Although I'm wondering if that's because I've never understood the majority of people and my misunderstanding manifests itself in a basic dislike or distrust of people. I often find I keep my social circles small and generally I associate with those who would normally be very harshly judged inside the 'normal' social circles, as I find those kind of people have the most interesting stuff to express.

I've found many people with my disposition, find machinery, animals or ideas more interesting than people (in my case my principle interests are machinery and politics), one of the reasons why I've never been able to get into sports is because it's mostly focussed on people and to me doesn't provide me with any answers or explore new ideas. I think that's why I've always been interested in politics as to me it's provided some answers (and many questions) to the 'herd mentality'.

Before I get any clichéd high horsey type posts asking me to define 'normal'. In my opinion normal means: Unable to think beyond the standard consensus and to have the overwhelming desire to fit in more than to explore, think or expressive themselves in ways that extend beyond traditional social parameters.

My apologies if this post has come across as arrogant, I honestly don't mean it to sound like that. It comes out of a basic confusion of the other members of my species that I share this world with.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has experienced or felt like this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Groningen

Established Member
I like trains. I do not need contact with other persons than my surroundings. What is the problem? Worse than a drunk; worse than a hooligan. I do not get your point.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I find that the older I get, the more I dislike crowds of people. I enjoyed the bustle of the City in my twenties, but I'm now more drawn to the countryside.

backontrack

Established Member
There are tons of idiots in this world, but then there are also thousands of individuals deserving of respect.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I understand some of Klamberts points and there does seem to be a bit of a uniform blandness with a lot of mainstream stuff - ie clothes/music/TV etc.
Saying that though, I do find people interesting and I find that if you scratch the surface and ask the right questions almost everyone has an interesting side to them.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I can't stand misanthropes but that's probably because I'm a sociopath.

Post of the week!

I don't dislike people, I just dislike bad people. The fact that there seems at times to be more bad than good just makes me appreciate the decent minority more. Just a shame that, as the saying goes, the empty vessels make the most noise.

amateur

On Moderation
I don't understand the phenomenon of many people seeming to 'like' something purely because it's popular. I wonder if they associate that 'thing' with making them feel part of the group rather than liking the 'thing' for it's own qualities.

I think many people conform so that they feel like they can belong to a group, without having a genuine interest.

Apparently, there a hoards of young people who wear cheap Ramones t-shirt bought from primark, who couldn't name any of their songs, albums or band member

Last edited:

Trog

Established Member
Don't like crowds myself, much happier on my own, these days I often go four or five days in a row without speaking to anyone beyond Hello, or Morning as we pass.

Established Member
I've never liked large crowds, to be honest. I've never really been a people person either, in the supermarkets (where possible) I will always pay using the self service machines, as annoying as they can be.

cf111

Established Member
I err towards introversion and I am quite content with my own company but I always try to take people as I find them rather than making my mind up about them without spending some time with them first.

Most folks are just trying to get on with their lives as best they can, I think it's hard enough out there without assuming the majority of human beings aren't worth dealing with - there is a lot of good in most people.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I've always been happy to talk to anyone as long it's not on a train or the Tube. If I see anyone on the train or on the Tube who is clearly upset or in distress I will do all that I can to help but other than that leave me alone!

In a pub / cafe I will talk to anyone no matter who they are or what they look like and many of my friends have a different outlook on life to my own but they are still my friends.

Seacook

Don't like crowds myself, much happier on my own, these days I often go four or five days in a row without speaking to anyone beyond Hello, or Morning as we pass.

I think that is being over familiar. A simple nod or a doff of a hat is enough.
I dislike crowds and actively avoid times and places where there are too many people.

It has always annoyed me when complete strangers try to start a conversation - while waiting for a bus or train, perhaps - when I'm reading. Perhaps I should retaliate by chatting to people while they are talking on their mobile phones - though that would involve chatting which I don't want to do.

DaleCooper

Established Member
Ironically Miss Ann Thorpe is the most warm hearted, friendly, good natured, caring and humane person I've ever had the misfortune to meet.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I try very hard to suppress my contempt of other people all the time. Usually I succeed, occasionally I don't. When that happens that's a learning curve for me, and rarely actually their fault. Of course, some people could make more effort, and so could I.

Obviously I'm much more drawn to other people who don't annoy me in the first place, and where there's mutual positive exchange and I'm very lucky to have been able to find the number of them that I have.

J-2739

Established Member
I quite like being in massive crowds. Much better than the boringness of a rural area. I think I'd do better living around London than living in somewhere like Cumbria or Northumberland.

As for being a 'people person', depends on my mood really, though I'm more of the silent type in real life.

I wouldn't try to talk to strangers in public, though I wouldn't ignore them either if they talk to me. If something serious is happening, I tend to avoid it unless the problem affects me.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
For me, a lot of the time I'm usually in a hurry, so loads of people suddenly turning up in my way can be a big nuisance and affect my plans. I'm often in a hurry due to dodgy train timetabling and poor connections.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I generally think us rail enthusiasts are an anti-social bunch, although I'm just wondering how many of us experience a consistent dislike of the vast majority of the human race? I've even noticed many rail enthusiasts dislike other rail enthusiasts. Well as for the vast majority of 'normal passengers' going about their business, well they're just potential impedimenta to get in the way of a cracking photo! Although strangely enough our hobby can be a very social one.

I actually think a lot of railway enthusiasts are very sociable when compared to many other people. From talking to people at work and other non-railway people I know, there seem to be a huge number of people who's whole social life revolves round (1) people who live in a 5-10 mile radius from them and/or (2) people who are roughly their own age. This differs vastly from mine, where I have people who I consider to be friends who live all over the country and who probably vary in age by up to 60 years.

Only yesterday evening, I met up - at less that 12 hours notice, as I only booked for the even earlier in the day - with 4 other enthusiasts (3 of whom are members on here) for something to eat and drink before we all headed to something totally non-train related, a music concert.

Having said that, I do like to do things on my own sometimes, it's nice to get away from it all. Some people don't seem to like their own company though, but if you don't, it could be argued how can you expect others to like it!?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I've certainly become more social over the past few years, and have probably got a larger tolerance now of crowds and different people. As a couple of others have said, I would probably never strike up a conversation with a stranger in public, though if they start it then I usually keep it going; similarly if someone was in need I would help.

As for cities or the countryside, the latter all day long. I'm much happier when I'm in the back end of nowhere whilst out walking than I am among the crowds when out in town or walking between stations somewhere.

Alex 2901

Having grown up as someone who generally got the Mick taken out of a lot (ginger hair, short sighted, not athletic, nerdy, need I explain why?) I've generally developed a distrust of people until I know them well enough to be a bit confident around them. Doesn't help when at school, most people I know, bar a few, are known for changing allegiances faster than they change clothes, which adds to the Trust issues; but I'm at my most confident when I'm travelling, or at least I was until Monday, but that's a whole new story!

But yes, if I had the chance, I'd rather be alone at a quiet place, than I would in a crowded city, more peaceful etc. Wouldn't go as far as saying I'm a full blown sociopath, but to deal with some kids at school, it wouldn't be a problem if I was...

Status
Not open for further replies.