• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Misformed units

Status
Not open for further replies.

WCMLaddict

I travelled today from Manchester to Wigan on a train formed from 1x 142 and 2x 156. And I think I saw another mix like that when we waited at Bolton. Is it common for Northern Rail?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SprinterMan

Established Member
Where have these 312's come from??
;)

It's not uncommon for 315/317/321 to be coupled together around the depot.

Re misformed units, there's a few vehicle swaps that have happened over the years if this is the sort of thing you're after.
317501 and 317883 (previously numbered 317301 & 321325) spring to mind. 77000 (driving end from
501) is on 883 and has been for many many years now- and whichever driving end was taken off 883 is now on 501.

I meant 321s, corrected now ;)
/5s and /8s have undergone different refurbishments, did the car swap take place before these?
Adam :D

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I travelled today from Manchester to Wigan on a train formed from 1x 142 and 2x 156. And I think I saw another mix like that when we waited at Bolton. Is it common for Northern Rail?

Yep. Northern will pretty much stick anything available together. 142 and 158 combinations are the oddest in my view!

Bonemaster

My favourite mis formed units were the 305 that were a 305 motor car, with the remainder of the unit as class 302s that run around for a very brief time in the early 1990s. Image of one of them looking very odd with the number here http://www.flickr.com/photos/keith-v/6124964762/

Class 323 misformations have also occurred regularly in the past with 323203 and 323205 (I thinks) driving cars having been switched many years ago, even renumbered so that you would not notice, and when the class was suffering from corrosion (around 2001 I think) Central Trains was putting together which ever good cars they had to run a service, resulting in almost the entire fleet being misformed for a while

6Gman

Established Member
My favourite mis formed units were the 305 that were a 305 motor car, with the remainder of the unit as class 302s that run around for a very brief time in the early 1990s. Image of one of them looking very odd with the number here http://www.flickr.com/photos/keith-v/6124964762/

Class 323 misformations have also occurred regularly in the past with 323203 and 323205 (I thinks) driving cars having been switched many years ago, even renumbered so that you would not notice, and when the class was suffering from corrosion (around 2001 I think) Central Trains was putting together which ever good cars they had to run a service, resulting in almost the entire fleet being misformed for a while

I have noticed Soho turning out misformed 323s, but don't ever recall Longsight doing so.

Keith Jarrett

So when I go up to London next week it's proably safe for me to assume that:

a) the London Overground 378s are formed as per the book;
b) Ilford/ East Ham units ditto;
c) Southern Region (you know what I mean!) units ditto!

Correct?

By 'the book' I mean a recent Combined Volume.

Some of the "Southern" 455s are mis-formed - just look at the combine and you will soon see that around half a dozen units have various coaches from other units. SWT 455s seem to be more stable. I think there it's only one 455/9 with an odd trailer.

I am not aware of any other Southern Region mis-formings at present.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Some of the "Southern" 455s are mis-formed - just look at the combine and you will soon see that around half a dozen units have various coaches from other units. SWT 455s seem to be more stable. I think there it's only one 455/9 with an odd trailer.

I am not aware of any other Southern Region mis-formings at present.

One of SWT's 455s (455912?) has a car from a 210 I think.
Adam :)

455driver

Veteran Member
The Southern 455s were reformed PERMANENTLY on refurbishment (not many stayed in their original formations), 5912 is also permanent, I think the OP is after the short lived ones such as 153399 (both versions) which were temporary while coaches were being repaired.

6Gman

Established Member
The Southern 455s were reformed PERMANENTLY on refurbishment (not many stayed in their original formations), 5912 is also permanent, I think the OP is after the short lived ones such as 153399 (both versions) which were temporary while coaches were being repaired.

You are correct Sir. I can cope with the long-term inconsistencies; it's the thought of something being slipped into a different unit for a few weeks that was my concern.

Crossover

Established Member
Am I right in thinking that one Pendolino ran short formed for a while after the Oxley(?) derailment, or was the whole unit just out of service?

6Gman

Established Member
Am I right in thinking that one Pendolino ran short formed for a while after the Oxley(?) derailment, or was the whole unit just out of service?

My recollection is that it ran short-formed for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.