• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Misophonia (nails down a blackboard)

Status
Not open for further replies.

43021HST

Established Member
Anyone here have a weird inexplicable hatred of certain sounds or get over angered far more than is necessary by certain noises, IE Misophonia?

I have two; one of nails being filed, that one's guranteed to put my teeth on edge and a stranger one; sound recordings of drinks being poured, annoys me far more than it should do. Although for some reason I don't mind it in real life. Coke adverts are a nightmare.

The missus is worse than I am, she cannot stand the sound of chewing is it annoys her incredibly, ranging from slothenly, open mouthed lip smacking to polite closed mouth nibbles and even the rustling of packets. She has to have music or the TV on at dinner time to drown it out. She refuses to go to the cinema for that reason. I blame it on the fact she's worked in a nursery for several years.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BanburyBlue

scraping of mash potato masher down side of saucepan.

And that film, Robin Hood (with Kevin Costner), where Geraldine McEwan scrapes her nail across the plate - I have to leave the room!!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The noise of chewing, and the noise of sniffing/heavy breathing.

Public transport is intolerable for me without headphones :lol:

Just any kind of continuous droning noise... hairdryers, washing machines, vacuum cleaners, the fan in my electric oven... nightmare.

Barn

Established Member
Knife scraping against plate.
Polystyrene rubbing against polystyrene.
That quiet crackly sound when someone is talking for a long time and they really could do with a glass of water.

Pinza-C55

Dripping taps.
My kitchen tap seems to be connected to kind of sensor which detects when I get into bed and starts the tap dripping. It was also installed by a sadist who tuned the stainless steel sink so that a single drop of water hitting it sounded like a drum roll by Cozy Powell.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Anyone here have a weird inexplicable hatred of certain sounds or get over angered far more than is necessary by certain noises, IE Misophonia?

I have two; one of nails being filed, that one's guranteed to put my teeth on edge and a stranger one; sound recordings of drinks being poured, annoys me far more than it should do. Although for some reason I don't mind it in real life. Coke adverts are a nightmare.

The missus is worse than I am, she cannot stand the sound of chewing is it annoys her incredibly, ranging from slothenly, open mouthed lip smacking to polite closed mouth nibbles and even the rustling of packets. She has to have music or the TV on at dinner time to drown it out. She refuses to go to the cinema for that reason. I blame it on the fact she's worked in a nursery for several years.

I'm amazed that you get away by referring to the love of your life as the "missus". My wife would go nuts if I did that.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A bit like the blackboard one really, but substitute the blackboard for nails on the roof of a car when it's lost its shine. Oh god that's actually made my neck hair stand up just thinking about it.
Also rattling bits in car, like the dashboard vibrating or a bottle of something rolling around in the back.
Can't stand it.

Pinza-C55

A bit like the blackboard one really, but substitute the blackboard for nails on the roof of a car when it's lost its shine. Oh god that's actually made my neck hair stand up just thinking about it.
Also rattling bits in car, like the dashboard vibrating or a bottle of something rolling around in the back.
Can't stand it.

In the early 70s my dad had a Ford Popular and I nicknamed it "The Travelling Orchestra" due it having a slightly loose back bumper which did a reasonable impersonation of a string quartet. You'd have loved it.

D365

Veteran Member
We used to have an old scratchy sofa. Just the thought of it, even today, makes my skin crawl.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
In the early 70s my dad had a Ford Popular and I nicknamed it "The Travelling Orchestra" due it having a slightly loose back bumper which did a reasonable impersonation of a string quartet. You'd have loved it.

They all laugh at me when I pull over five minutes after setting off to wedge anything that's making a noise back into place.
I watched the program about making a new Mini that was on a few years ago and there were people that had to drive around a special track to listen and identify any rattles or squeaks.
I couldn't work out whether that would be my dream or my nightmare job...

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Having heard all this from you Mr Cowley, do you really think it's such a good idea to book a trip on a Cravens Class 105 dmu? ;)

Howardh

Established Member
Squeeeky polystyrene that infests boxes when you buy the latest gizmo. Please, shop, unpack it for me....

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Rap "music".
Manchester accents.
The incessant moaning of anti-brexiteers.
Pacers attempting sharp curves.
Incessant automated announcements.
"500 miles" by the Proclaimers.
That Penny Arcade song by Roy Orbison.
People who ruin karaoke nights by singing well... :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Having heard all this from you Mr Cowley, do you really think it's such a good idea to book a trip on a Cravens Class 105 dmu? ;)

I’ll bring lots of beer mats to wedge in things :lol:.

gnolife

Established Member
Dripping taps.
My kitchen tap seems to be connected to kind of sensor which detects when I get into bed and starts the tap dripping. It was also installed by a sadist who tuned the stainless steel sink so that a single drop of water hitting it sounded like a drum roll by Cozy Powell.

My other half has quite cheerfully cheerfully threatened to string me up if I'm caught playing Emerson, Lake & Palmer around the flat, and was completely unimpressed when I took that statement at face value and started playing Emerson, Lake and Powell, so for the time being, I think I'd have to take the tap :lol:

gnolife

Established Member
Rap "music".
Manchester accents.
I'm with you on all of these, amending Manchester to Wythenshawe scumbag, which is highly unfortunate, given that I lived there for the first 21 years of my life

I also used to put up with daily Pacers round Skelton/Deansgate junctions in Timperley. Hell on Earth...

Pinza-C55

Rap "music".
Manchester accents.
The incessant moaning of anti-brexiteers.
Incessant automated announcements.
That Penny Arcade song by Roy Orbison.
People who ruin karaoke nights by singing well... :)

"The incessant moaning of anti-brexiteers"

They are truly pathetic man.ĺ

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I would agree with most of the above as mentioned, especially the load chewing, loud kids and sniffing etc. (I don't mind the Manchester accents though, I enjoy travelling around the UK and hearing the different accents and dialects.)

Jetlagged

That quiet crackly sound when someone is talking for a long time and they really could do with a glass of water.

Worse are the people, mainly women, who think it's sexy to speak with a croaky voice and do it deliberately. There is even a term to describe it now; 'vocal fry'. Another term that's been added is HRT and no, that's not a new type of train! It stands for High Rise Terminal and is also known as 'upspeak'. It is another pet peeve of mine, where people, again mainly women, lift their voice at the end of a sentence making it sound like a question rather than a statement. My final vocal peeve is saved for all those folks who think that the answer to any question has to start with the word 'so'. No it doesn't, it is not correct and it is very irritating! So stop it!

As far as misophonia is concerned, you can add my name to the list of folk who cannot stand hearing people eating and in particular crunching; crisps, apples, sweets... Whatever. If it makes a noise, I hate it. I'm another who will not go to the cinema since the popcorn box rattlers appeared on the scene. I'll happily pay into a crowd funding scheme for anyone developing a silent container for popcorn.

Welly

I can't stand the sound of metal utensils/bowls/trays etc clattering in the kitchen.

Status
Not open for further replies.