• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

missed connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOHNO63

i missed my connection from Wolverhampton to Bournemouth due to Avanti train being late by 17 mins had to wait an extra 2hrs for next one got a claim with Avanti for my total delay, what's the best response if they reject for total delay

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

py_megapixel

Established Member
Aren't the Manchester-Bournemouth trains hourly (rather than 2 hourly)?

If you did catch the next available service to your destination, I highly doubt they'll reject it. If they do, they should provide the option to appeal the decision, which you should be your action in the first instance, as I don't believe anyone else you could progress the complaint to (TransportFocus?) will deal with it unless you've taken it up with Avanti first.

_toommm_

Established Member
Did you leave the required 7 minutes minimum connection time between the arrival of the Avanti and departure of the CrossCountry?

island

Veteran Member
Aren't the Manchester-Bournemouth trains hourly (rather than 2 hourly)?

If you did catch the next available service to your destination, I highly doubt they'll reject it. If they do, they should provide the option to appeal the decision, which you should be your action in the first instance, as I don't believe anyone else you could progress the complaint to (TransportFocus?) will deal with it unless you've taken it up with Avanti first.
They're 2-hourly most of the day, but there are two occasions where there is a 1-hour gap.\

py_megapixel

Established Member
Did you leave the required 7 minutes minimum connection time between the arrival of the Avanti and departure of the CrossCountry?
That's a good point - if you planned for a connection shorter than the minimum time then it wasn't technically a valid connection so you weren't technically delayed (which means you are not allowed to claim).

They're 2-hourly most of the day, but there are two occasions where there is a 1-hour gap.
Oh yes, I forgot about some of them terminating at Reading.

Had OP caught the next service to Reading, would there have been an earlier service available towards Bournemouth? If so, is that grounds for Avanti to reject the claim?
Edit: No, it seems there wouldn't have been such a service available.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
A random check says there is 10 minutes.
Edit: Apologies - they vary from 6 minutes (which would not be advertised as a connection) upwards.
But if the connection was advertised (even incorrectly) then Delay Repay applies.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
i missed my connection from Wolverhampton to Bournemouth due to Avanti train being late by 17 mins had to wait an extra 2hrs for next one got a claim with Avanti for my total delay, what's the best response if they reject for total delay
What was your booked itinerary? Was this today?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The 0652 Edinburgh -> Euston (9M50) was delayed today calling at Wolverhampton. Booked arrival is 1036. Actual arrival was 1050.

Would have just missed the 1042 departure from Wolverhampton for Bournemouth (1O12) which looks to have departed on time.

Wonder whether that was the one and if it's too tight an official connection?

Be helpful if the OP could confirm their itinerary. :rolleyes:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As long as you got your claim in within 28 days it's a valid claim

However I'm surprised the delay was a full two hours. Did you get the first available train to Birmingham, then to Reading and so on? Did you seek staff advice? What ticket type did you hold? Was it possible to re-route via London?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
To be fair, if you've just missed the 1242 Wolverhampton to Bournemouth direct XC train, the on platform all departures information boards at Wolverhampton will show the next direct service as 1442.

Not everyone is going to consider the possibility of travelling across London (and maybe the OP was travelling using a "Not via London" routed ticket), or getting an earlier XC train and changing at both Reading / Basingstoke for other operators' services, to maybe arrive Bournemouth some 23 minutes earlier.

island

Veteran Member
There were two other journeys with changes that would have got you there at 17:43 or 17:55, so based on the information we have been given so far, I expect you’ll be paid based on a 60-119 minute delay. If there is additional relevant information (such as being advised by staff to wait for the 14:42 service) then that would be likely to change my view.

Unless you were travelling on a return ticket (that is a ticket with “OUT” and “RTN” portions, as opposed to two Advance single tickets), however, the compensation is the same for 60-119 minutes and 120+ minutes.

Not everyone is going to consider the possibility of travelling across London (and maybe the OP was travelling using a "Not via London" routed ticket), or getting an earlier XC train and changing at both Reading / Basingstoke for other operators' services, to maybe arrive Bournemouth some 23 minutes earlier.
Whilst a passenger might not consider it, staff at Wolverhampton, whom the OP would have had ample time to consult, would have been likely to advise it (and endorse tickets as necessary). A passenger choosing to delay themselves further to have a no-change itinerary cannot then fix the railway with compensation for the self-imposed part of the delay.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I think that the travel via London option would have required the OP to have stayed on the late running Avanti train that they arrived on at Wolverhampton and then continue to Euston. And, as I mentioned upthread, the OP's ticket may have been routed "Not via London" and so getting across London via LU on a ticket without a Maltese Cross symbol on it would have been a right faff. Assume from the itinerary provided that the OP was travelling on the outward portion of a £142-20 SVR ticket.

Otherwise, I agree with your analysis.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
To be fair, if you've just missed the 1242 Wolverhampton to Bournemouth direct XC train, the on platform all departures information boards at Wolverhampton will show the next direct service as 1442.

I would expect the staff to come up with that, rather than the passenger.
There were two other journeys with changes that would have got you there at 17:43 or 17:55, so based on the information we have been given so far, I expect you’ll be paid based on a 60-119 minute delay. If there is additional relevant information (such as being advised by staff to wait for the 14:42 service) then that would be likely to change my view....
And mine

I think that the travel via London option would have required the OP to have stayed on the late running Avanti train that they arrived on at Wolverhampton and then continue to Euston. And, as I mentioned upthread, the OP's ticket may have been routed "Not via London" and so getting across London via LU on a ticket without a Maltese Cross symbol on it would have been a right faff. Assume from the itinerary provided that the OP was travelling on the outward portion of a £142-20 SVR ticket.
If an Off Peak Return routed "Not via London" was held, the Guard on the delayed train could have issued the excess for £5.60 as an option. Or the customer could have stayed on to Birmingham New Street, and got the next available Reading service from there.

Unless it is impossible to do so, I'd always recommend trying to speak to staff on the delayed train before alighting from it, especially if due to alight just short of a major interchange station, where it may make sense to stay on to at least that point.

But without knowing what ticket(s) were held and what conversations took place, it's difficult to comment. It's also difficult to look up the times from so long ago now.

Status
Not open for further replies.