• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Missing Black 5 ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

GearJammer

Hi all, waited at Portchester today to see the steam tour to Bath & Bristol hauled by black 5 44932, according the mainline steam tour site it was 9:18 past Cosham a few miles along the line but at 10:30 it was still a no show :(

Was it cancelled or was i just not patient enough (though to be fair it was bloody freezing).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

moonrakerz

Obviously not patient enough - I waited for over an hour and a half and didn't see it either !!!

Oracle

Established Member
From the Southern E-mail Group:

Possibly the exertions of the climb to Tulse Hill proved too much because
some sort of difficulty was encountered at Merstham and 44932 was declared a
failure at Redhill with the tour cancelled :(. I know this because I was
booked to travel on it and waited it her to arrive at Haywards Heath. At
the time no detail of the precise nature of the failure was given. Anyone
know any more?

black-cat

We were due to pick it up at Chichester, apparently some people were told that they would have to join at Worthing as Network Rail had declared the train was too long to be accomodated at Chichester, refunds were refused to those which werent happy with this, trading standards were involved and suddenly this wasn't a problem anymore. Regarding the black five failure one wonders why there wasn't a back up diesel available as dissapointing as this would have been.

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
Well the president of the I Hate 44932 Club will be pleased!

Oh wait, that's me :lol:

And to answer your question, there was no back up diesel because it had better things to do like haul 5043 out of Paddington and take her to Southall to enjoy a nice relax and rest after it had done Moor Stree to Paddington

Let's hope they find a replacement for that old shed and one that means I could mean me and my brother go to Oxford!

ChampsRacing

Only word of mouth which may not be correct but heard from someone that there was something wrong with the pistons. Like i said not offical but what i heard.

BigM

I can only agree with Train Dispatcher. Twice I have booked trips that ended up behind that useless machine - failed at Norwich, and now failed at Redhill with what? I'll be very wary of booking anything that may just end up behind 44932 next year.

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
I can only agree with Train Dispatcher. Twice I have booked trips that ended up behind that useless machine - failed at Norwich, and now failed at Redhill with what? I'll be very wary of booking anything that may just end up behind 44932 next year.

I'm sending this to my brother, there are more people out there that share my view of this loco!

Chris125

Established Member
The cause of the problem was a radius rod failure - a part of the motion.

black-cat

How quickly could they reasonably fix a broken radius rod? Would it be a spare they carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.