• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Missing Booked Train With Advance Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parham Wood

Could not find a thread specifically on this. Please move if required. Apologise for bit a long post.

This weekend I travelled from Bath to Conwy via Newport. (Excellent journey, on time and all working throughout). On the Newport -Chester via Hereford train one person had an advance ticket but had through their own error missed their train. They boarded the next train (Newport or Cardiff I think) but had to pay c £85 for a new ticket. The ticket collector apologised for this but said she could get off at Hereford, go to the ticket office an pay £10 to have the ticket validated on another service. (Not sure how she could have got past the ticket barrier with an invalid ticket). She declined this as it would mean getting a later train.

On the same train another man had problems getting through the ticket barrier at Newport (I think as barriers at Cardiff would be manned). There was no member of staff around for a while (several minutes I understand) and in consequence he missed his booked train. He would not have done this if the barrier had worked. The station staff told him to" speak to the guard on the next train". He boarded the train and waited until the guard came around on his ticket round. Again the guard apologised for having to ask him to pay around £56 and said he should have gone to the ticket office and for £10 he could get the next train. The man will no doubt make a complaint as he was given incorrect information. He did pay up. I overhead the man talking to a friend on the phone and from the conversation it was apparent he had no idea that he had to contact the guard before boarding. I would have been livid in his situation.

Checking the Arriva Advance fare terms it seems the £10 admin charge is in addition to the price of a ticket to a later train. I am not sure how they work this out but the ticket collector did mention this second charge in both cases, unless it was not applicable at that time of day. However in checking Arriva's Revenue Enforcement Policy it seems that they will give the passenger the opportunity to buy a ticket on the train if they do not have the correct ticket and only move to the enforcement if they refuse. So this is a good approach.

In neither case did the ticket collector tell the passenger about what would happen if they did not buy a ticket. To some extent this was not required as both bought tickets but one passenger was taking some time to think about what she would do and I wonder if he would have said anything about this if a passenger refused. He was a very nice collector though! Is informing about potential prosecution or high cost of settlement mandatory for Arriva staff in this situation as I have not heard it mentioned that it is part of any ticket collector's training.

I was also intrigued that after Shrewsbury where the ticket collector changed, the new one came through the train and said any from Shrewsbury. If I had changed at Shrewsbury and caught this train she would have not known that I had not had my ticket checked. The same thing happened after Crewe. On the plus side good for not disturbing passengers more than once, but on the negative side not good for revenue protection. I changed at Chester and got a Virgin to Llandudno Jnc. No ticket checks. Open barrier and no staff at Llandudno Jnc, and I think also Rhyl and Colwyn Bay. So opportunity to ticket fraud is there for the taking.

In many respects the whole line Newport to Chester seems very relaxed and helpful staff. I was allowed to leave at Chester (full single) to go to the pub across the road whilst waiting for a 90min connection but in the end as pub was very noisy and packed got the first train to Llandudno Jnc and walked to Conwy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
...one person had an advance ticket but had through their own error missed their train. They boarded the next train (Newport or Cardiff I think) but had to pay c £85 for a new ticket.
If it was due to their own error then that was the correct procedure.
The ticket collector apologised for this but said she could get off at Hereford, go to the ticket office an pay £10 to have the ticket validated on another service. (Not sure how she could have got past the ticket barrier with an invalid ticket). She declined this as it would mean getting a later train.
Strictly speaking not correct, unless the ticket was from XC or one of the other TOCs that sell 'on the day' Advance tickets.
On the same train another man had problems getting through the ticket barrier at Newport (I think as barriers at Cardiff would be manned). There was no member of staff around for a while (several minutes I understand) and in consequence he missed his booked train. He would not have done this if the barrier had worked. The station staff told him to" speak to the guard on the next train".
Speak to the guard was the correct advice as gateline staff can't really authorise travel. Did he endorse the ticket in any way?
He boarded the train and waited until the guard came around on his ticket round. Again the guard apologised for having to ask him to pay around £56 and said he should have gone to the ticket office and for £10 he could get the next train.
The guard could have allowed travel but again strictly speaking the guard followed procedure.
In many respects the whole line Newport to Chester seems very relaxed and helpful staff. I was allowed to leave at Chester (full single) to go to the pub across the road whilst waiting for a 90min connection...
Absolutely no reason that you shouldn't have been.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If the non-presence of staff caused someone to miss a train, *those* staff on their return not taking on the issue and assisting the passenger through to handover to another member of staff or resolution is *extremely* poor service. That passenger is likely to be angry, afraid or confused, or all of the above. They need assistance. "Go and appeal to the guard's judgement" is *not* adequate.

Quite apart from the fact that a barrier line MUST NOT be left closed and unattended unless there is remote attendance. So whichever member of staff did was already not doing their job correctly. Perhaps they were afraid of being pulled up for it? Certainly that passenger should report the incident to the TOC customer services requesting a refund and requesting that the issue be investigated.

In all the cases where it was the passenger's fault, of course, the passenger must cough up. And it is always possible that said passenger was telling a tall tale that for whatever reason the member of staff had evidence was false.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The passenger can pay £10, plus the difference in fares, to change to a different train, provided that this is done before the departure of the booked service. Once the train has departed, this excess facility is not available and the ticket is worthless.

Of course, if a member of staff left the gateline closed and unattended, then that should be reported to the TOC I think. It is a customer service issue as well as a health & safety issue.

najaB

Veteran Member
Of course, if a member of staff left the gateline closed and unattended, then that should be reported to the TOC I think. It is a customer service issue as well as a health & safety issue.
I agree, as well as it being unfair on the passenger to charge them for a new ticket as a result. I'm not familiar with Newport - is there more than one barriered entrance?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Whatever it is, it's against the rules, and should not have happened. Certainly merits reporting.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
There are two barriered entrances at Newport, one on the Platform 1 side, and one the Platform 4 side.

Established Member
I agree, as well as it being unfair on the passenger to charge them for a new ticket as a result. I'm not familiar with Newport - is there more than one barriered entrance?

Yes both entrances are barriered. Unsure if one of them is remotely operated though.

najaB

Veteran Member
Unsure if one of them is remotely operated though.
If it is that could explain why there was a delay before a member of staff attended. It's a shame we don't know exactly how long the passenger was delayed by - a passenger reporting "several minutes" could be anything from two to twenty.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The Network Rail maps:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/SME/html/NRE_NWP/plan.html

seem to suggest they are both staffed gatelines.

Even if they were not, though, an undue delay at a gateline is not really acceptable, or rather if it is the railway should be publishing, like airlines do, the latest official time one may arrive to guarantee boarding of a given service.

Last edited:

Established Member
I got stuck outside an LO station due to my travelcard declining to work the barrier one time. The assistance office was empty and no one on the gateline. If I hadn't had got through when I did I would have missed my train from Euston.

I won't name the station involved in this case, and I did also see a station with a sign telling people if they needed assistance, and the gateline was unmanned and closed to press the emergency button on the help point.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I won't name the station involved in this case, and I did also see a station with a sign telling people if they needed assistance, and the gateline was unmanned and closed to press the emergency button on the help point.

Naughty naughty.

I have encountered the exit gateline closed and unattended with a valid but wrongly encoded ticket at Elephant and Castle LU. The "emergency open gateline" button did not work. I barged through, setting off alarms, to which nobody responded.

Quite unacceptable.

John Palmer

There is a public pedestrian underpass beneath the Newport platforms, but at quite some distance from the barriers. If you cannot gain access to the platforms via the north side entrance (Platform 4), you then have a walk of between two-thirds and three-quarters of a mile to get the south side (Platform 1) entrance via this underpass. It would require about 10 minutes of walking, I estimate.

<edit> Remeasured a bit more accurately, it's more like 700 yards, a bit under half a mile, but still a brisk walk of between 5 and 10 minutes </edit>

Last edited:

nicobobinus

Naughty naughty.

I have encountered the exit gateline closed and unattended with a valid but wrongly encoded ticket at Elephant and Castle LU. The "emergency open gateline" button did not work. I barged through, setting off alarms, to which nobody responded.

Quite unacceptable.

I had a similar situation at Highgate a few months ago - the ticket got jammed in the mechanism on the gateline as I was exiting the station late one evening. Nobody responded to my attempts to get attention for three or four minutes so I hit the emergency plunger (which did work) and went on my merry way through the open paddles. It happened to be my final journey that day so I was willing to lose the travelcard, if it hadn't been then a rather peeved off letter would have gone off to TfL.

Parham Wood

Speak to the guard was the correct advice as gateline staff can't really authorise travel. Did he endorse the ticket in any way?

He just sold a new ticket which came out of machine. If it was an Arriva ticket, going to the ticket office and paying £10 plus the difference would probably have been cheaper, but he was not told about this.

If your journey starts from an unmanned station then you cannot change your ticket having missed your train. You could call the telesales office but I cannot see how they would be able to change your ticket and provide you with a hard copy. The same with trying to change on-line (if you can) although I suppose you would get something to show on your phone, if acceptable. So travellers from an unmanned ticket office are in effect penalised unless you could travel to the first manned station and do it there which would make you even later! Moral - do not miss your train but sometimes things can go wrong which prevent you getting to the station.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Moral - do not miss your train but sometimes things can go wrong which prevent you getting to the station.
Moral: do not miss your train when you have bought a cheaper ticket that restricts you to a specific train.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If your journey starts from an unmanned station then you cannot change your ticket having missed your train.

I don't know what you mean.

If you miss the booked departure of your train then the ticket is worthless. You cannot excess it by paying the £10 admin fee.

Parham Wood

I don't know what you mean.

If you miss the booked departure of your train then the ticket is worthless. You cannot excess it by paying the £10 admin fee.

This is not excessing. Arriva allow you to go to the ticket office and have it changed to another train. You pay an admin fee and the difference in the price of the new ticket and the old ticket, unless I have mis-understood their website. It could still be expensive of course. It seems a sensible option given that even if you allowed a large margin for delays in getting to the station you could on some occassions be late due to accidents, bus issues etc. But it still seems to remain that if travelling from an unmanned station you do not have the option on the spot to change your ticket as above.

Established Member
This is not excessing. Arriva allow you to go to the ticket office and have it changed to another train. You pay an admin fee and the difference in the price of the new ticket and the old ticket, unless I have mis-understood their website. It could still be expensive of course. It seems a sensible option given that even if you allowed a large margin for delays in getting to the station you could on some occassions be late due to accidents, bus issues etc. But it still seems to remain that if travelling from an unmanned station you do not have the option on the spot to change your ticket as above.

Can you link to the page on their website that you refer to?

Romilly

Established Member
The Arriva Trains Wales website says this:

Changing an Advance ticket:
You can visit any booking office or call the telesales outlet that you bought your ticket from. If there are still other Advance fares available, you can change it to another Advance fare.

Please note that Advance tickets are limited in number and sold subject to availability. If there are no Advance fares available, you can upgrade the ticket to the most appropriate ticket for the journey you now want to make.
When making a change to an Advance ticket, you will have to pay any difference in increased fare and an administration fee of no more than £10 per ticket changed.

Please note that changes to 'Advance' fares cannot be made on-board the train. If you board a train without a ticket and reservation for that service, a new ticket must be purchased.

For full Terms & Conditions about Advance tickets, please visit the National Rail Enquiries website.

When you follow their link to those full terms and conditions you find this on the NRE website:

Changing the time or date of travel
Changes to time or date of travel must be arranged before departure of the first reserved train printed on the ticket, after which the ticket has no value and a new one must be purchased. You will need to present the ticket(s) and reservation(s) when you request a change.
Changes to tickets cannot be made on-board the train. If you board a train without a ticket and reservation for that service, a new ticket must be purchased. Depending on the Train Company you are travelling with, you may be liable to a Penalty Fare if you board the train with an invalid ticket.
The origin, destination and Train Company or route shown on the ticket(s) must remain the same.
The difference between the price paid and cost of the next suitable fare for your journey is payable, plus an administration fee of up to £10 per person, per single ticket for each change to a journey. If you change to a train on which a cheaper fare is available, the difference will not be refunded.

which makes it clear that ATW are not disapplying the "must make any change to Advance ticket before departure of first reserved train" rule

BestWestern

Established Member
In my experience it is common for an Advance ticket to be excessed to the relevant 'walk-up' fare, plus any appropriate admin fee, before travelling. Whether this is done before the originally booked service has departed or not isn't something that I generally take the time to establish, but I would imagine most ticket offices would process the excess without quibbling that detail. Indeed it isn't uncommon for passengers to be excessed even when travelling on the wrong train, either. This is, of course, not the technically correct way of doing things and doesn't communicate the message that an Advance ticket should be used carefully.

Parham Wood

I admit I did not read the full terms and conditions on the NRE website. Guilty as charged! But surely Arriva should clearly state that the ticket cannot be changed after the time of the first train on the journey on their website as this is very key information. What they do say is misleading but correct for changing before departure time. Why then are various rail staff saying otherwise, unless Arriva may in fact waive this requirement in many circumstances?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Why then are various rail staff saying otherwise, unless Arriva may in fact waive this requirement in many circumstances?

As you don't know the circumstances of those passengers and details of the tickets they held, you do not know that rail staff are saying otherwise.

miami

Established Member
I admit I did not read the full terms and conditions on the NRE website. Guilty as charged! But surely Arriva should clearly state that the ticket cannot be changed after the time of the first train on the journey on their website as this is very key information.

I agree, that website doesn't word it very well, and will lead to grumpy customers.

Parham Wood

As you don't know the circumstances of those passengers and details of the tickets they held, you do not know that rail staff are saying otherwise.

They both held advance tickets for an earlier train and I heard what the guard said.:)

philthetube

Established Member
Even though standard advice is to pay up and reclaim if I was stuck behind a barrier I would be inclined to refuse to pay anything and say "see you in court with the CCTV evidence".

najaB

Veteran Member
Even though standard advice is to pay up and reclaim if I was stuck behind a barrier I would be inclined to refuse to pay anything and say "see you in court with the CCTV evidence".
Again, this is making a huge assumption that CCTV would still be available.

snail

Established Member
Yes, there are many posters on here willing to take matters to court if it were them. Often quoting CCTV evidence. Is CCTV actually used as a defence very often?

Status
Not open for further replies.