• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'Missing' Brighton Belle carriage found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Phil6219

Just spotted this myself, it's great news for the restoration of the Belle but at the same time seems to suggest that no bugger knew where Hazel was and has just turned up.

Either way, great stuff and looking forward to seeing this on the mainline in 2014 :D

Phil 8-)

Roverman

Watch the video, it provides a lot more information on the whereabout of the missing carriage. I wonder if anyone here visited it when it was a pub/restaurant?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Watch the video, it provides a lot more information on the whereabout of the missing carriage. I wonder if anyone here visited it when it was a pub/restaurant?

It wasn't missing or lost! it was at the Black Bull in Moulton between Richmond and Darlington for 40 years! All they had to do was give me a shout!

Me! I dined there several times in a previous life. It was a VERY nice restaurant and pub! Truly fantastic. However it seems to have closed now due to some alleged unpleasantness :(

This articles form the Echo may help with some background colour:

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/features/columnists/latest/9897030.Final_Belle/

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/features/columnists/mikeamos/mikeamos/9544255.Moulton_mettle/

and some images which are not mine:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/215465

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1686409

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14581588@N05/6152673941/

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
There is another Pullman coach at Shepperton Station, it's on a tiny bit of track and I think is used by the Travel and Publishing firm of Ian Allen, I think as a boardroom. It's a 12 wheeler by the name of "Malaga". I don't know if it was part of the Brighton Belle or one of the other main line Pullman services.

Monty

Established Member
There is another Pullman coach at Shepperton Station, it's on a tiny bit of track and I think is used by the Travel and Publishing firm of Ian Allen, I think as a boardroom. It's a 12 wheeler by the name of "Malaga". I don't know if it was part of the Brighton Belle or one of the other main line Pullman services.

The twelve wheeler's were loco hauled stock and not used in the 'Brighton Belle' EMU sets, they were once common place on the South Western Mainline.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Perhaps the Brighton Belle could make a "thank you" appearance in Darlington to show off the restored vehicle :lol:

crewmeal

So when the Brighton Belle is fully restored will it be 3rd rail only and operate on SR metal under its own steam or will it have a 47/57/67 attached and be in a position to tour the Country?

slilley

I didnt visit it, but my friend Antony Ford the Pullman historian told me on Wednesday he had eaten there a number of times, excellent surroundings to enjoy excellent food.

Regards

Simon

Chris125

Established Member
So when the Brighton Belle is fully restored will it be 3rd rail only and operate on SR metal under its own steam or will it have a 47/57/67 attached and be in a position to tour the Country?

I believe the idea is that it will be capable of both 3rd rail operation and loco haulage. As it appears to be keeping the central buffing plate from the donor vehicles it should even have the same push pull capability as a mk1 EMU.

For anyone unfamiliar with SEMG there's a short update on progress in the latest Pullman News, page 41 - driving desk is in Car 91, interior well underway on Car 85, and the Ashford VOPs should be heading to Barrow Hill imminently.

Chris

Last edited:

crewmeal

Thanks Chris - a brilliant update and history of our much beloved heritage. Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing the 'Belle' fully restored and running as it should.

Chris

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It will be nice one day to travel on the railway line and eat in the same place i sat and had dinner in a restaurant in North Yorkshire!

Status
Not open for further replies.