• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Missing fare/route Tilbury Town (or Tilbury Town/Riverside) - Southminster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medicy

This fare seems to be missing. Oddly enough, there are fares available from East Tilbury and Grays (the adjoining stations to Tilbury Town) to Southminster.

The problem comes because I want to take a journey from Gillingham (Kent) or another station on the North Kent line, to Southminster route: Tilbury-Gravesend ferry, but online booking engines throw an error as they can't find an itinerary.

The GWR mixing deck engine, for example, is fine booking Gillingham - Southend via Tilbury-Gravesend ferry.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be missing, if I can book the ticket at a booking office, or if there is an alternative ticket that would work at the same price?

EDIT: added that I want to travel to Southminster

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Fares are defined on a point-to-point basis from East Tilbury/Grays to Southminster. No fare is defined from Tilbury Town to Southminster hence why you can't buy anything. No fare existed at the time of privatisation either (in the NFM64 fares manual), which suggests this is a longstanding omission. It wouldn't be the first time.

Why do you want to buy a ticket from Tilbury Town to Southminster if you can buy one from Gillingham to Southend?

Medicy

I can't buy a ticket from Gillingham - Southminster (route: Tilbury-Gravesend ferry) even though a fare exists. This is where I want to travel.

I can buy a ticket from Gillingham - Southend on GWR mixing deck. I can also buy a ticket from Gillingham - Southend Airport (both route: Tilbury-Gravesend ferry)

I assumed the issue is that the booking engines have a problem as there is no fare that exists between Tilbury Town - Southminster. This could be an incorrect assumption. But I do find it odd that there is no fare Tilbury Town-Southminster, when there is one East Tilbury-Southminster and one Grays-Southminster.

Haywain

Veteran Member
The LNER website allows the ticket to be purchased if Southend Central is specified as a via point. Generally speaking, I doubt there's much demand for a journey with 7 changes, including 2 walks and a train that isn't really a train (Tilbury Riverside to Tilbury Town).

Status
Not open for further replies.