• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'Missing ticket' - If the travel ticket to accompany a seat reservation is missing th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baggers

'Missing ticket' - If the travel ticket to accompany a seat reservation is missing then is there anything you can do ?

A friend booked (and I paid for) some tickets online and then collected them from the designated station but when I checked the batch of coupons I found that one of the tickets was missing.

It was cheaper to go for two singles than a return - We should have 5 coupons - outbound ticket, outbound seat reservation, return ticket, return seat reservation and collection receipt, however, the return ticket is 'missing' so we only have 4.

The planned journey is entirely on East Midlands trains (Luton area - Nottingham area and back) though the tickets were picked up from a Chiltern Railways station.

We have checked with the collection station and the 'missing' ticket wasn't handed in. A phone call has verified that the ticket machine did print all 5 coupons.

Will a printout of the confirmation e-mail help at all?

Any helpful suggestions/advice please? My own favourite is to be more careful next time and read the screen of the ticket machine.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GadgetMan

If there are still cheap Advance tickets available for the time you want to travel then its best to just buy another one.

The lost ticket cannot be replaced. You'd be leaving yourself at the mercy of the Guard on the day of travel. I personally, depending on the attitude of the passenger would accept the reservation alone as long as it was a Advance ticket and you were on the booked train. Obviously it would be pretty easy to pick up on another passenger on the same train who may have an Advance ticket but lost reservation ;)

Last edited:

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
We have checked with the collection station and the 'missing' ticket wasn't handed in. A phone call has verified that the ticket machine did print all 5 coupons.

. . . . . . .

Any helpful suggestions/advice please? My own favourite is to be more careful next time and read the screen of the ticket machine.
I guess that's my advice too. Let me illustrate it, to show how often and frequently it happens:

A few days ago I collected tickets from one of the machines in Newcastle Station but when I bent down to scoop up all the coupons, noticed two coupons at the side of the hopper, vertically, held out of view from a standing position by having just a corner of the ticket in the join between the vertical sides and the curved base & back plate.
One was a First Class ticket from Newcastle to York, the other was the Seat Reservation for a Kings-Cross to London Advance.
Someone would have been looking for those!

By co-incidence, just an hour later on my way to London, the Guard came across a passenger who couldn't find one of the 2 coupons for their own Newcastle to London journey. It was apparent that the fare had been paid and there had made a genuine mistake; there was no attempt to avoid a fare.

But leaving coupons in a machine is easily done. I usually bend my knees so that I look straight into the hopper for the coupons. I also count them all before I leave.

Last edited:

Dont board the train with no ticket. If your unlucky enough to have an RPI on board you could be hit with a penalty fare. A new ticket should be purchased in my humble opinion

oversteer

I had a missing seat reservation coupon reprinted by GNER once .. on an advance ticket.

Maybe someone will reprint your ticket for you.

Don't travel without, you will almost certainly run into issues on the train. I had to buy a new FOS because I didn't have the reservation coupon !

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
If records show that the ticket has already been printed, I doubt anyone will agree to reprint it. It's slightly different to a seat reservation!

Status
Not open for further replies.