• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mk 1 bogie preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helvellyn

Established Member
I was looking through rmweb this afternoon and came across this photo taken at Preston sometime around 1968. Unfortunately I couldn’t find out who’d taken it but it’s a very interesting shot of a blue and grey mk1 fitted with B4 bogies behind a very grubby Ivatt 43033:

View attachment 78685
Interesting that it is clearly an early build Mark 1 as well judging by the lack of exterior window frames.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Interesting that it is clearly an early build Mark 1 as well judging by the lack of exterior window frames.
We still had a few of the early ones at the Mid Hants in the early 90s and from what I remember they were pretty corroded by then.
I think that they were shifted on around the time as the railway bought newer (recently withdrawn) ones from BR as well as some mk2s.
At the time I was helping out doing a bit of painting and maintenance work on them and it was very interesting work I must say.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

I think I'm right in saying that the generally B4-bogied Mk1s barring catering vehicles would be the earlier batches given the later ones came out on Commonwealths for which there was no need to exchange?

delt1c

Established Member
Getting back to the topic then, something I was thinking about was that given Mk1 NEA were passed for 110mph on B4s with special maintenance is there a reason Mk1 catering cars on B4s/B5s formed in trains of otherwise Mk3 stock couldn't also be passed for 110mph?

I'm thinking of trains such as the Manchester Pullman which pre-push pull was all Mk3 save a Mk1 NEA and Mk1 RKB.
Was under the impression that the Manchester Pullman used Mk3 catering car and Mk3b stock. There was a Mk1 catering car held as standby for original Manchester MkII stock but these were limited to 100mph

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Was under the impression that the Manchester Pullman used Mk3 catering car and Mk3b stock. There was a Mk1 catering car held as standby for original Manchester MkII stock but these were limited to 100mph

Just checked and it's booked formation in the Summer 1986 LMR carriage workings was:

Mk2f BSO, 3 Mk3a TSO, Mk3a RFB, 3 Mk3b FO, Mk1 RKB, Mk3b FO*

(*conveyed only until 20th June and from 15th September.)

So I also forgot about the random Mk2f brake in the set.

Helvellyn

Established Member
There was a Mark 3A Restaurant Buffet First (100xx series) between First and Second Class. But a Mark 1 Kitchen Buffet was also included from introduction of the Mark 3B coaches until 1988 when the Restaurant Buffet First (Modular) (102xx series) conversions were complete and two of those vehicles were included in each of the four Super Pullman sets.

delt1c

Established Member
There was a Mark 3A Restaurant Buffet First (100xx series) between First and Second Class. But a Mark 1 Kitchen Buffet was also included from introduction of the Mark 3B coaches until 1988 when the Restaurant Buffet First (Modular) (102xx series) conversions were complete and two of those vehicles were included in each of the four Super Pullman sets.
Sorry wasnt aware of that. Interesting was that the Mk3 BFO's were built for the Manchester Pullman service but quickly were treated as Fo's for general use

Status
Not open for further replies.