• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mk. 3 DVT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginge8991

Hi all, can anyone help me out with a query about mk 3 DVTs: What locomotives are / were used with them?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Class 86/87/90 electrics, Class 67/68 diesel locomotives, can't think of any others at the moment.

sprinterguy

Established Member
The mark 3 DVTs were built for use with class 86, 87 and 90 locos on the West Coast main line, replacing mark 1 full brakes and being fitted with the Time Division Multiplex (TDM) multiple working system to allow push-pull operation.

The DVTs continue to be used with class 90s on Greater Anglia services between London Liverpool Street and Norwich, while elsewhere DVTs have been modified to use the AAR multiple working system, so that they are capable of controlling class 67 and 68 diesel locos. Conversions were initially undertaken for EWS' company train (82146) and Wrexham & Shropshire (82301 - 305 initially), and similarly converted DVTs are now in use with Chiltern Railways, Arriva Trains Wales, Network Rail and DB Cargo (who inherited the EWS company train). Chiltern utilise class 68s provided by DRS while the others use 67s.

Last edited:

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Life must have become a lot less interesting at Euston / Manchester Pic, Lime Street and Glasgow Central once they were introduced. I have fond memories of light engine movements and station pilots in the 1970's.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
They allowed for much quicker turnaround times though, so from a passenger point of view they are one of the things which allowed for increased frequencies of service. You can spin a loco with DVT almost as quickly as you can spin a multiple unit, no need for shunts which choke station capacity.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hi. I'm pretty sure that they appeared in Exeter in the 90s on summer Saturday trains from up north behind 47s, obviously not in push pull mode, but behind the loco in one direction. Also Holyhead and maybe Blackpool too?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
they popped up in virgin XC rakes at various times and various places. I guess the rakes were used during their normal work " down time" to enhance services elsewhere and it was easier to leave the DVT attached.

EDIT: Perhaps they were also left attached for operational ease if services ran off the wires to, say, Blackpool or Holyhead.

Marklund

they popped up in virgin XC rakes at various times and various places. I guess the rakes were used during their normal work " down time" to enhance services elsewhere and it was easier to leave the DVT attached.

EDIT: Perhaps they were also left attached for operational ease if services ran off the wires to, say, Blackpool or Holyhead.

Cross Country used to use West Coast sets, DVT included, on summer Saturdays.

Not my photo

Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Hi. I'm pretty sure that they appeared in Exeter in the 90s on summer Saturday trains from up north behind 47s, obviously not in push pull mode, but behind the loco in one direction. Also Holyhead and maybe Blackpool too?

Yes, also even worked by pairs of 31/4's quite regularly too, I've travelled back from Exeter St Davids on a 13:55(ish) ex Paignton summer Saturday service to Manchester during the late 90's/early 2000's and it was nearly always a West Coast Mk2 or Mk3 set plus DVT, welcome to the forum btw. :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thank you and yes I'd forgotten about the 31s, I remember it being a bit disappointing that you couldn't get very near the loco (s) if there was a DVT behind them.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Life must have become a lot less interesting at Euston / Manchester Pic, Lime Street and Glasgow Central once they were introduced. I have fond memories of light engine movements and station pilots in the 1970's.

Loco changes still took place at the likes of Preston, Liverpool Lime Street and Manchester Piccadilly on XC services into the early 2000s and the advent of Voyagers.

dk1

Veteran Member

It would have to remain attached as this was the 'brake' vehicle in the set.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
the only alternative would have been a mark 2 brake I guess? As there were all of three "proper" Mark 3 brake carriages built, all now with the Night Riviera fleet

randyrippley

Established Member
I have a memory that they were occasionally used with class 81 and 85 - e.g. on the Motorail trains to Scotland

gsnedders

Established Member
The mark 3 DVTs were built for use with class 86, 87 and 90 locos on the West Coast main line, replacing mark 1 full brakes and being fitted with the Time Division Multiplex (TDM) multiple working system to allow push-pull operation.

The DVTs continue to be used with class 90s on Greater Anglia services between London Liverpool Street and Norwich, while elsewhere DVTs have been modified to use the AAR multiple working system, so that they are capable of controlling class 67 and 68 diesel locos. Conversions were initially undertaken for EWS' company train (82146) and Wrexham & Shropshire (82301 - 305 initially), and similarly converted DVTs are now in use with Chiltern Railways, Arriva Trains Wales, Network Rail and DB Cargo (who inherited the EWS company train). Chiltern utilise class 68s provided by DRS while the others use 67s.

Are the converted DVTs compatible with AAR and TDM, or only AAR?

shedman

Not sure about the Arriva/Chiltern ones but the DBC company train DVT still has TDM equipment which works as it can be used with the class 90s

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

DVT could also have been used as extra luggage capacity particular on those summer Sunday trains perhaps?

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Cross Country used to use West Coast sets, DVT included, on summer Saturdays.

Not my photo

XC also used WC HST sets on Saturdays too. A particular favourite (of mine to work as an RSM) was 1M07 09:03 PAD-MAN (to BHM, for a voyager to BMH for me) which would then work to the west country around 13:20 ish iirc

Ah yes, sorry about that. I'll go sit down in a corner and give myself a stern telling off for such nonsense ;)

Lol!

Forum needs a "like" button!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.