• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

mk1 & mk2 coaching stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveinstoke

Hi all, is there a list with all Current mk1 & mk2 coaching stock. This stock used for mainline rail tours. etc W.C.R.C ETC.
Thanks Dave.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Hi all, is there a list with all Current mk1 & mk2 coaching stock. This stock used for mainline rail tours. etc W.C.R.C ETC.
Thanks Dave.
Long lists of the Mark 1 and early Mark 2 vehicles exempted to run on the mainline railway are available at this location on the ORR website - see exemptions to Reguiation 5 for each operator. Note that the lists may be out of date (ie some vehicles have been released) since they were compiled.

Mark 1 and hinged door rolling stock exemptions​

Applying for an exemption for Mark 1 or hinged door rolling stock.

What do the regulations say?​

The Railway Safety Regulations 1999 (RSR) required the withdrawal of unmodified Mark I rolling stock from 1 January 2005. Mark 1 rolling stock is less crashworthy than modern stock and there are risks to passengers from pull down windows and the absence of central door locking.
RSR regulation 4 prohibited the operation of Mark I rolling stock after 31 December 2002 unless it had been modified to prevent, so far as practicable, over-riding in the event of a collision.
RSR regulation 5 prohibited the operation of hinged door rolling stock without central locking from 1 January 2005.
RSR regulation 6 provides us with a wide-ranging power to grant exemptions. We are able to consider all circumstances of the case in reaching a decision.

Six Bells Junction will also give you formations of the coaching stock used on charter trips which could be matched back to the exemption lists on the ORR website.
A warm welcome to Six Bells Junction...

...the home of what is almost without doubt the largest archive of railtour information anywhere on the planet!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
thanks, its a current list I am looking for . More so the kitchen cars. In use.
Thanks Dave.
I think the kitchen cars in use are these
Riviera use 1651, 1671 and 80042 (chocolate and cream), 1657 and 1691 (blue and grey)
WCRC use 1666 (Steam Dreams), 99712 ('Southall' set), 1961 ('Carnforth' set), 1566 (Northern Belle)
Saphos use 80044
Statesman use 80043

There are a few other RMB / RFB vehicles as well but they just have a buffet counter.

BigB

1730 is an RBR retaining gas cooking and used as a kitchen on SRPS railtours. It can successfully cook up to 350 meals though I'm sure we have done more on occasion.
It even has the old BR fridge which is very space efficient compared to a modern equivalent.
Several of the others have been converted to all electric operation using a generator set.
This was in the stock for the opening train on the Borders line (the Queen was in a Pullman coach and colleagues who manned the train said she didn't even come down for her complimentary coffee so she must have been busy).

pieguyrob

The ICRS numbers book has mainline certified and preserved mk1 and mk2 coaching stock in it.

Richard Scott

Established Member
There are some mainline registered mk 2s in Ireland, not sure if they're of any interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.