• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"mk2" Voyagers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

metrocammel

I am currently on a 'Super Voyager', from Wolverhampton to Wigan. I am sat in the coach behind the buffet. I was rather surprised when I entered this coach. The first thing I noticed was the removal of the luggage rack, replaced with just a 'space' for luggage. The second thing I noticed, which made me think 'Is this standard class' was the fact the moquette was all-blue (as it is in Pendolini and Voyager FC). Thirdly, I noticed all the seats are in bays of 4, and align with the windows. This is awfully reminicent of those elderly, outdated 'Mark 2' carriages replaced some years ago.

I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I am actually enjoying this journey.

The only detrimental points are the persistent Cummins engine noises, and also the silly slide out tables that have been fitted (the one in front of me has been snapped off already, presumably due to some drunken idiot who decided to sit on it?) These aren't going to last. But the refurbishment is surprisngly good.

In the words of Jimmy Savile, for British Rail, 'We're getting there'. I absolutely agree with that statement in this case. These 'refreshed Voyagers' are an absolute improvement on the airline seated original attempts. It's just a shame an energy efficient electric loco isn't hauling it. As I said, 'We're getting there'.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The should cover all the seats in that blue colour. The clashing red and blue interior on a normal Voyager has always in my opinion looked crap.

It's because that carraige will be first class on some journeys and standard on others.

Pumbaa

Established Member
The coach you are in is the only one like it in the set - it's the double FC/SC combo coach. Between Wales and Euston, it's a FC coach. On Brum - Scotland services, its SC. I wouldn't appreciate being in it when travelling to Holyhead if I'm honest.

Virgin only made these modifications (so far as I can see) as to provide extra FC on the Wales services, as I doubt 1 car per SuperVoyager can cope, and it's too difficult to keep 2 seperate pools of Voyagers.

me123

Established Member
The should cover all the seats in that blue colour. The clashing red and blue interior on a normal Voyager has always in my opinion looked crap.

The worst thing about it, in my opinion, is that the logic behind the colouring; I sit and try and work it out, but it's just not there! <(

me123

Established Member
The coach you are in is the only one like it in the set - it's the double FC/SC combo coach. Between Wales and Euston, it's a FC coach. On Brum - Scotland services, its SC. I wouldn't appreciate being in it when travelling to Holyhead if I'm honest.

I worry about this personally; for Standard Class passengers on Birmingham-Scotland, it's great. Not been in it, but it looks like the best SC carriage on the train and I would have hoped all Voyager SC carriages were like that. On North Wales, it does provide the extra First Class capacity but I'd feel let down if I paid for a FC seat in that carriage.

I'd feel let down if I paid for a FC seat in that carriage.

I think a lot of people will. That is one of the big pluses of first class, having extra wide seats in a less cramped space. I would be really let down if there was no at seat service (does this ever happen on VT?), might as well be in standard around a table!

Pumbaa

Established Member
The worst thing about it, in my opinion, is that the logic behind the colouring; I sit and try and work it out, but it's just not there! <(

You could say the same about GNER and the blue/grey in the Mallards...

Darandio

Established Member

You know what, they do grow on you. But I suppose thats a sign of progress and what we have to put up with when stock is "refreshed"

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Indeed, and I feel that, although these days I've fallen out of favour with the Voyagers, to say it's the worst interior ever is absurd. I say the same thing about EMT's livery mind.

I do agree there's no logic at all in the way they coloured the seats on the East Coast Mallards.

On the subject at hand, I agree that this modified coach on the 221s is a very good idea, although to use it as First Class on the North Wales services is laughable.

At least that looks ok as the colours compliment each other, but the blue and red on 220/221s doesn't. I wish XC would put their style seat covers on the 220/221s, I think they would look a lot better internally.
Also why are the 222 interiors the way they are - they didn't have any of the colours of Midland Mainline in there - they match EMT better in my opinion.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I say the same thing about EMT's livery mind.

I'm split on EMTs livery. It looks good when looking at the 222s side on, but really bad when looking at them from the front. Matches the HSTs well.

Edit: I said it's the worst interior I have ever seen. There is probably worse out there that I haven't seen.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Fair point re: your last comment. But I cannot agree that the livery suits the HST. To me, it looks like something from a crazy 1980 timewarp.

me123

Established Member
I like all the HST liveries at the moment to be honest; I think they all work very well. The EMT one was a pleasant surprise, the white NXEC I like (although this is a controversial opinion it seems!) and XC is very good. Even the First Dynamic Lines works well on these rather old trains!

Failed Unit

Established Member
I worry about this personally; for Standard Class passengers on Birmingham-Scotland, it's great. Not been in it, but it looks like the best SC carriage on the train and I would have hoped all Voyager SC carriages were like that. On North Wales, it does provide the extra First Class capacity but I'd feel let down if I paid for a FC seat in that carriage.

I know what you mean but many operators around the UK only provide 2+2 with exactly the same seats as standard class. South Eastern springs to mind, at least on the Scotrail 158's you get the tea / coffee from the trolley. I think the worse example is Stansted Express if you get the 317/8's the 1st class in these sets are worse than standard in the 317/7's

I do agree however that you would feel a bit annoyed unless it is only the people on the AP's that will be reserved into the "Standard" coach and people on full fare 1st get placed into the proper 1st. I guess the at seat service and meals will be the same whereever you are sat.

I am taking a trip upto Scotland on the voyager next week so I get the chance to sample the changes myself next week. At least I have something new to sample. :lol:

me123

Established Member
I do agree however that you would feel a bit annoyed unless it is only the people on the AP's that will be reserved into the "Standard" coach and people on full fare 1st get placed into the proper 1st. I guess the at seat service and meals will be the same whereever you are sat.

I was just thinking that; if they sell the AP tickets in those seats and advise that you're going to get those seats at the time of booking. Won't be popular, but it saves people paying First Class Open Fares for glorified standard class.

Status
Not open for further replies.