• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mk3 Abreviations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heinz57

Hi all,

I've been reasearching the formations of HSTS. I found some infomation. Sonme of Mk3 abreviations I understand, such as TSO (Trailer Standard), TGS (Trailer Guards Standard) etc.

There are some others which I don't understand;

RMB
BG
BFK
TRFB
TRUB
TRFM
RFM

Wondering if you could tell me what they are please?

Cheers,

Heinz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I think these are right.

RMB - Restaurant Miniature Buffet
BG - Brake Gangwayed
BFK - Brake First Corridor
TRFB - Trailer Restaurant First Buffet
TRUB - Trailer Restaurant Unclassified Buffet
TRFM - Trailer Restaurant First Modular*
RFM - Restaurant First Modular*

*I think it's modular, but I'm not too sure about that one.

Last edited:

rail-britain

Established Member
RMB
BG
BFK
TRFB
TRUB
TRFM
RFM

Wondering if you could tell me what they are please?

A T at the beginning means it is a Tourist seating layout (ie 2+2 across the coach), otherwise it is 2+1 seating

B at the Beginning means it is a Brake coach (guards area)
If there are no seats, then it is classed as a through Gangway (G)

If the coach is primarily for catering, it will be R (restaurant)

Next come the class, S for Standard (formerly Second), F for First, C for composite (both), and U for unclassed

B at the end means it is a Buffet, M is Modular (the catering service type), and K it Kitchen
The letter at the end, where a Class is used, is the coach layout type O for Open and K for Corridor (so it does not clash with Composite)

One oddity in this is the RMB
This is a Restaurant Mini Buffet
This is essentially a TSO with a Mini Buffet in the middle, however the seats are often reserved for passengers using the buffet

With respect to HST coaches, they all start T as they were originally Trailers and have retained this designation, and do not use the ending O (Open)
This is how you tell the difference between these respective types
Example
TS and TSO, TF and FO, TRFM and RFM, etc

Schnellzug

Established Member
The British coach classification system, while it has its little idiosyncracies, seems a bit easier to grasp than the Europpean system, where you can have things like A5t2u and B7tu and RABDe, i must say.

fgwrich

Established Member
Youve also got the TSD Mk3s over in the FGW fleet, which i believe are Trailer Standard Disabled, as it is where the bigger disabled toilets are located. Most of these are noticeable by the half window (half of the window space has been blanked off - ex FGW) and the more reccent TSD Converisions, which are noticeable by the blanking off of one toilet window (toilet side) and moving the frame to the corridor side - Door, Toilet Window, Toilet Window, Small window, rest of the coach.

Heinz57

Thanks for your replies chaps! You've all been most helpful!

@Rail-Britain, thanks for your explanation of the abbreviation system. I can now understand exactly what they all mean.

Cheers

jopsuk

Veteran Member
"Trailer" on the HST is a hangover from the original designation as MU, not hauled, stock

Status
Not open for further replies.