• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mk3 modifications to conform with accessibility regulations for 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the only reason why the ScotRail, GWR and XC Mk3's are being modified is to conform with accessibility regulations for 2020? If so it seems to me like a major waste of money, there is nothing wrong with slam doors and drop down windows.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
Is the only reason why the ScotRail, GWR and XC Mk3's are being modified is to conform with accessibility regulations for 2020? If so it seems to me like a major waste of money, there is nothing wrong with slam doors and drop down windows.

More to the point that wheelchair users can't use MK3 coaches very well due to the tight vestibule space, even able bodied people get stuck with slam doors, there's no accessible toilet for wheelchair users etc.

What a ridiculous statement. As much as I love slam doors on an enthusiast level, on a regular passenger level, they're no longer suitable...

Established Member
I think we might be getting trolled here?

Not sure those with mobility impairments would agree!

More to the point that wheelchair users can't use MK3 coaches very well due to the tight vestibule space, even able bodied people get stuck with slam doors, there's no accessible toilet for wheelchair users etc.

What a ridiculous statement. As much as I love slam doors on an enthusiast level, on a regular passenger level, they're no longer suitable...

They may not agree but of course they would't. So you don't think it is a lot of money for what it will achieve?

Established Member
I am not trolling, i do think we need to make the railways more accessible. But i also think that for what mortification are being done, it is a lot of money.
Okay, fair enough.

Speaking as someone who's been on a CDL mk3 when a door swung off the catch at some speed on Euston platform, then I'd say that slam door stock has no place on anything other than heritage railways. Disability regs is only part of it.

jingsmonty

The dwell times (as most stations are self dispatch) are horrendous & the one door working (for which the slam doors were never designed for) is an extremely time consuming & fiddly procedure.

jingsmonty

A fully PRM compliant MK3 with power doors, PIS & CET tanks could be the best way of travelling in the near future - particularly sandwiched between 2 HST Power Cars!

physics34

Established Member
Its the 21st century and however nostagic slam doors are, the mods to the doors are a very good thing so dont know why it is being questioned. There is a huge amount of money in the railways so not an issue in the long term. Will give 10 years more good service for quality coaching stock.

I do though have issues with some other TSI-PRM mods though but ive explained that on other threads.

Established Member
Its the 21st century and however nostagic slam doors are, the mods to the doors are a very good thing so dont know why it is being questioned.
Exactly, which is why I thought we were getting trolled. End of discussion.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
you don't have to have a "disability" as such for opening a slam door from the inside to be hard. Simply being a bit shorter than average is enough

Jonfun

Established Member
Door on catch incidents are a pain in the backside, particularly when the train gets stopped in the middle of a busy junction in the pitch black for the poor driver to take a block and start clambering round the unit finding the door and climbing up the side to get it to properly close.

Late running passengers see a door handle and grab at it to try and open the door as the train departs, causing delay and risking injury.

Passengers who've left it too late to get off and the CDL is locked, look ahead, realise its just big enough to get through, and try and alight via the open droplight.

The list goes on - in theory slam doors are fine, but the potential for misuse or human error just means from the perspective of operating a railway they won't be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.