• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mk5 sleeper stock corridor joins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

plugwash

Established Member
Page 13 of https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5ece325b86650c76a551df1a/R052020_200528_Edinburgh.pdf has a picture of the corridor join on the end of a Caledonian sleeper MK5.

https://www.caf.net/en/productos-servicios/proyectos/proyecto-detalle.php?p=277 also has a picture of a caledonian sleeper corridor join.

The two corridor joins look completely different.

Was the corridor join type changed late in design/manufacture? Do different parts of the train use differnet corridor join types depending on whether or not they are meant to be joined/split in service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rebmcr

Established Member
For those viewing this in the future and/or without PDF capability:

Attachments

• caledonian-sleeper-07.jpg
    caledonian-sleeper-07.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 259
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 252

popeter45

now you point it out yea
the old design seems to be missing any kind of cover and test runs ive seen to fort williams seems to have pull down blinds instead of doors
1590862202950.png
seems change was done once carriages where in the UK

Helvellyn

Established Member
The design that has the corridor connection wrapping around the dellner coupler would appear to be where carriages are going to be semi-permanently coupled together in a set.

The design with the folding doors resembles an end corridor connection on third generation DMU or EMU stock, i.e. for use where regular attaching/detaching will take place.

Given the Lowland and Highland Sleepers both operate as portions largely within Scotland I'd venture that the picture with the folding door is an end of a portion, and when attached to another the folding doors just fold out the way. If that was say a Desiro we'd be calling them fly doors, with another more solid door behind.

Clansman

Established Member
It was my understanding that the corridor design replaced in favour of folding doors (same design as most gangwayed stock in the UK), as they were much easier to use and more secure than the original pull down sheet design.

All Mk5s for Serco have this. There are no semi-permanent couplings in the context of implying that any two coaches will never split, because it is impossible to have any fixed portioning with the sleeper due to the stock rotation maintenance routines (ie the Lowlander southbound to Euston becomes the Highlander northbound from Euston), and demand based ajusting of each service.

Last edited:

TRAX

Established Member
now you point it out yea
the old design seems to be missing any kind of cover and test runs ive seen to fort williams seems to have pull down blinds instead of doors
View attachment 78716
seems change was done once carriages where in the UK
The blind is temporary to protect the interior during the transfer.

TimboM

Established Member
The blind is temporary to protect the interior during the transfer.
If that was the case, what was to be used in the original design to cover the exposed gangway ends (of the end coaches in any given sleeper rake) before the mods were made to the current set up with 'proper' doors?

TRAX

Established Member
The blind is temporary. It’s used during delivery or any situation where the interior is exposed.

TimboM

Established Member
The blind is temporary. It’s used during delivery or any situation where the interior is exposed.
That doesn’t really answer my question I don’t think?

By my reckoning there’s 21 coach ends on any given night of normal sleeper operations that are “exposed” at some point. Many of these are also connected to other coaches during the night (prior to the splits or after the joins) and need through access accordingly.

Add in the fact the stock operates in the Scottish Highlands where the weather isn’t great at the best of times and can be very inclement, the exposed ends need some for of robust covering.

I’m pretty sure the intention was to use the blinds for the purpose of covering the exposed ends in normal service, but were found to be impractical and inadequate for the job. As was the fact the original design encapsulated the Dellner.

Hence the complete redesign of the gangway ends retro-fitting of these to those already delivered.

garethep

No that was the original design which turned out to be very impractical in operation and was replaced. At Mk5 introduction not all gangways had been modified so key "end coaches" where modified first....all are now the revised design.

Status
Not open for further replies.