• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MKC to Bedford - direct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Interesting to see how that would work, being as by my reckoning it'd have to handle 3tph each way (Oxford–Bedford, Oxford–MKC, Marylebone–MKC).

Don't see why it would be an issue, you just don't timetable to cross there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

al green

So you mean here? http://maps.google.com/?ll=51.996105,-0.734998&spn=0.00132,0.002411&t=h&z=19

That's still on viaduct structure... if it were a little further north it'd be on embankment but then it'd need extra platforms for the MK lines (plus the link to the current station would have to circumnavigate the stone plant). I also think these platforms would be a great opportunity to whack in at least a small eastern entrance with a footbridge over the V7.

Yes, there. Its not on a viaduct, its an embankment at that point. The viaduct starts just south of the junction. You can clearly see it where the stone lorry access road does a u-turn under the start of the viaduct.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
it is single track from Fenny Stratford Blethcley Flyover Junction to 1m 42ch point just before Bow Brickhill. This is single track over both the canal & the A5

Can this be re doubled or are those bridges unable to take two tracks? It could mean a long stand as a train comes off the flyover platform, through Fenny (perhaps stopping there) and then to Bow Brickhill before the westbound train can be released.

Canal bridge is double and so track could redoubled. A5 bridge is single and so couldn't. A5 section is likely to stay single. I would advocate relaying 2nd track through Fenny station to reduce delays caused by single track section over A5.

Trog

Established Member
Yes, there. Its not on a viaduct, its an embankment at that point. The viaduct starts just south of the junction. You can clearly see it where the stone lorry access road does a u-turn under the start of the viaduct.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Canal bridge is double and so track could redoubled. A5 bridge is single and so couldn't. A5 section is likely to stay single. I would advocate relaying 2nd track through Fenny station to reduce delays caused by single track section over A5.

The bridges over the road at the Bedford end of the Cambridge Sidings near Tesco on both the flyover and BBM lines also only have room for one track.

MK Tom

Established Member
I had understood that some remodelling was supposed to take place over the Easter weekend - I haven't had a chance to get down to 'Blech' as it was recently called on a road sign since - has anything substantial happened?

Trog

Established Member
Quite a bit of the S&C on the Cambridge lines round the curve towards the bridge under the flyover lines has been relayed.

al green

The bridges over the road at the Bedford end of the Cambridge Sidings near Tesco on both the flyover and BBM lines also only have room for one track.

Not strictly true. The BBM line bridge over Saxon St has 2 tracks on it. One is U&D Cambridge, the other is a headshunt which ends just east of the bridge. It can't go further because a foot/cycle tunnel beneath the U&D Cambridge doesn't line up with it. If it was desirable it would be pretty easy to lengthen the tunnel to allow a second Cambridge track over it.

MK Tom

Established Member
Not strictly true. The BBM line bridge over Saxon St has 2 tracks on it. One is U&D Cambridge, the other is a headshunt which ends just east of the bridge. It can't go further because a foot/cycle tunnel beneath the U&D Cambridge doesn't line up with it. If it was desirable it would be pretty easy to lengthen the tunnel to allow a second Cambridge track over it.

But that line just leads into Bletchley station; it couldn't be used by Oxford/Aylesbury bound trains.

This is the thing; EWR has been budgeted but I have no idea what that budget is for - we know it's for a double-track reopened Bletchley-Bicester/AVP line and Winslow station, but beyond that we don't know. Does it include widening the Saxon Street bridge, or the A5 bridge? A fifth track to MK? Bletchley high level platforms? I've not read anything giving that much detail; if anyone has, please let me know!

al green

But that line just leads into Bletchley station; it couldn't be used by Oxford/Aylesbury bound trains.

But it could be used by MKC-Bedford services which just happens to be the topic for this thread.

This is the thing; EWR has been budgeted but I have no idea what that budget is for - we know it's for a double-track reopened Bletchley-Bicester/AVP line and Winslow station, but beyond that we don't know. Does it include widening the Saxon Street bridge, or the A5 bridge? A fifth track to MK? Bletchley high level platforms? I've not read anything giving that much detail; if anyone has, please let me know!

Answers.
No,no,no,yes.

MK Tom

Established Member
But it could be used by MKC-Bedford services which just happens to be the topic for this thread.

However they're never going to exceed one per hour - the reason for discussing widening was the more than one an hour coming over from the Oxford line.

The Planner

Veteran Member
A short piece of single line isn't going to stop the job, timetable the trains so they don't meet there and you could probably get 6tph in total easily over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.