• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MMI Answer length

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chloe88

Hi

Give me the opportunity, and i'll talk the hind legs off a donkey. Im sure the interviewers at the MMI will let me, but this will probably end badly.

My question is how long were your guys answers? pages and pages?

As im putting pen to paper, i think im going overboard with it. However it's all relevant and not just padded out or me waffling on.

Thanks in advance

Chloe :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sfxdude

MMI is a verbal interview so I'm not sure writing pages and pages will help much.

The questions are usually pretty specific and probing. I didn't do any prep for it at all so I really wouldn't put that much time into prepping for specific answers as the questions that you get asked will be different based on each situation.

red2005

Just think of STAR......situation task action result

Get the important bits across and if they want more they'll probe more........saying too much can sometimes be as bad as not saying enough.

Gemz91

From memory the box you get to write in is only about half a page big, before the next question. So the written answers have to be quite condense, then you get to pad it out a bit in the spoken interview part.

Got to be honnest, I waffled on in my verbal interview, which apparently people advie that you shouldnt do, but I still passed.

332 > 444

Mine was approx 1h10, best to stick to the point, if they aren't fully satisfied with your answer, they will ask for more info.

Chloe88

Thanks guys!

Since they're expecting the STAR format, i personally have to write it out, otherwise i'll be all over the shop, especially with the adrenaline and nerves of situation.

i see most interviews last on average about 60 minutes. So 10 minutes a question seems a little short. Based on that, i might cut my answers short and hope they probe allowing me to elaborate.

I need to find that balance..

red2005

Thanks guys!

Since they're expecting the STAR format, i personally have to write it out, otherwise i'll be all over the shop, especially with the adrenaline and nerves of situation.

i see most interviews last on average about 60 minutes. So 10 minutes a question seems a little short. Based on that, i might cut my answers short and hope they probe allowing me to elaborate.

I need to find that balance..

I wouldn't say they're"expecting" the star format so to speak........it's just more of a proven tactic from a candidate perspective that A- is a good memory aid and B- kind of prevents waffling. It helps keep it clear and concise. I'm sure they'd take any format if the answers you give are what they're looking for :)

Many people also get caught out when asked about working in a team for example yes they've asked about teamwork but they want to know about what YOUR role was. Many go off on a tangent and blabber about the whole team which is not what they're asking.

Once again things like this prove how important it is to listen to the questions carefully and don't be afraid to ask them to clarify/repeat the question if needed. STAR is good in this area too.

Status
Not open for further replies.