• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MMI question: 'A time you've worked alone/performed a role similar to that of a train driver'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Rottweiler

Just wanted to get some opinions on the above questions that pop up in the MMI, ultimately I believe they're both asking the same thing/looking for the same kind of answer.

In regards to the working alone aspect though I've never really been in a role where I am literally on my own for extended periods of time. I do however work shifts in an office including night shifts with a skeleton staff where everybody else is getting on with their own work (so it's not like a normal office environment where you can casually have a chat with someone) so in some respects I would consider this to be 'working alone'. While there is some minor overlaps with the work I do and the work performed on the other desks there is overall very little communication during the bulk of the night and the vast majority of the work I do is independently done on my own.

I'm confident the work I do will cover most of the top five NTS criteria (i.e. attention to detail, concentration, anticipation of risk) and that I can use the STAR format to cover these areas but it is really just the 'alone' aspect I'm concerned with.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
Sounds like you have it covered. Nice to see the inclusion of the NTS criteria.

Twotwo

I think pretty much everyone I know used driving for this example. Including myself. I know someone who used working alone (carrying out platform duties such as dispatch) and they were asked to change their example. So have a back up just incase.

Remember they will probe you. How did you concentrate? What techniques did you do?

OneLowban

You may also be asked about a role you think would be similar to a train driver, as I was.

Post sounds good though.

Red1980

Depends on how strict they are with the "working" word. If they are strictly looking for a work example then your example should be fine.

But I know others in your situation have used their hobbies as an example. My friend used the fact he was a keen cyclist and often cycled long distances alone and due to busy roads etc had to keep his concentration for long periods of time as well as obeying things such as the highway code.

It's always good to use something from your interests/hobbies in these interviews as they can also gauge your personality from it.

L401CJF

Established Member
In mine I had both describe a job I have done which is similar, and describe a job which I think would be similar.

Ive been driving buses for years so used that, for the second he said I couldn't use the same example so said pilot and passed.

OneLowban

In mine I had both describe a job I have done which is similar, and describe a job which I think would be similar.

Ive been driving buses for years so used that, for the second he said I couldn't use the same example so said pilot and passed.
I was only asked about a role I think is similar and also said pilot. Then I was asked the reasons why etc.

LRV3004

This was the easiest question for me when I sat the psychometrics - at the time I was working as a tram driver so had to obey signals and speed limits etc, and stop at stations!

Status
Not open for further replies.