• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mmi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choooochoooo

Just further to a thread I started back in June or July of last year in which I sat an assessment day at the OPC and passed everything only to fail on the mmi. Anyhow my 6 months was up in December and I was determined to pass the mmi simply from a personal point of view if nothing else so I sat it privately at the railway competence group and passed. My experience in sitting the mmi with these folks compared to the OPC was Incredible. I felt as though I was treated like a normal person and was made to feel very much at ease unlike the OPC where I felt the exact opposite. On here you here differing views in the way people experience the mmi simply down to the assessor and after my experience I would have to say I can see it from both sides. Now I just have to wait for COVID to ease so that a few jobs appear that I can hopefully apply for

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cassy j

Well done for completing it all. Does your 5 years you have start from when you pass your last test or from when you passed your first? They should give everyone at least another 2 years because of covid

Choooochoooo

Well done for completing it all. Does your 5 years you have start from when you pass your last test or from when you passed your first? They should give everyone at least another 2 years because of covid
It starts from when I start the tests in July so I have 4 1/2 years however I do agree that it should be extended due to Covid

MatthewLdn

Will all Tocs accept the privately conducted mmi pass? Also, if you don’t mind divulging, how much was it to sit the MMI part of the assessment?

Choooochoooo

It starts from when I passed the tests in July. I agree on getting an extension due to Covid

Will all Tocs accept the privately conducted mmi pass? Also, if you don’t mind divulging, how much was it to sit the MMI part of the assessment?
Yes as it’s no different to sitting it at the OPC in Watford. The railway competence group are certified to do this kind of thing.

It starts from when I passed the tests in July. I agree on getting an extension due to Covid

Yes as it’s no different to sitting it at the OPC in Watford. The railway competence group are certified to do this kind of thing.
Price for the full test is £550 I think but don’t quote me on that. I sat the mmi for substantially less than this

Hi

So can you just sit the MMI without the others? I passed the paper and computer tests in 2019 but failed on 2 questions on the MMI.

I'd happily pay for the MMI but don't really want to sit the others again!

Cheers

Choooochoooo

Hi

So can you just sit the MMI without the others? I passed the paper and computer tests in 2019 but failed on 2 questions on the MMI.

I'd happily pay for the MMI but don't really want to sit the others again!

Cheers
Ring them up and find out. Railway competence group are in Stockport.

If you sit an assessment again through a toc then as far as I’m aware you only resit what you failed and not the whole thing again so it makes sense

Last edited:

If you sit an assessment again through a toc then as far as I’m aware you only resit what you failed and not the whole thing again so it makes sense
GWR said that we would have to do the whole lot again...

I have sent them an email and will wait for their response!

Many Thanks

Choooochoooo

I thought it varied from 3 to 5 years depending on the company to which you are applying. Some are stricter than others.
It lasts for 5 years whatever then if it expires without a job you would have to resit it. Some companies may say they will only accept it within 3 years of passing but that’s up to them

Daggers84

Just further to a thread I started back in June or July of last year in which I sat an assessment day at the OPC and passed everything only to fail on the mmi. Anyhow my 6 months was up in December and I was determined to pass the mmi simply from a personal point of view if nothing else so I sat it privately at the railway competence group and passed. My experience in sitting the mmi with these folks compared to the OPC was Incredible. I felt as though I was treated like a normal person and was made to feel very much at ease unlike the OPC where I felt the exact opposite. On here you here differing views in the way people experience the mmi simply down to the assessor and after my experience I would have to say I can see it from both sides. Now I just have to wait for COVID to ease so that a few jobs appear that I can hopefully apply for
Do they use the same format as OPC, so you do a SJT then they give you a sheet with questions on to answer? Or do they have their own process?

Choooochoooo

Yes it’s exactly the same. It’s the same for everyone everytime you sit it including the questions hence why you can only sit it twice

Gs1

Hi,

If you don't mind can I ask what type of questions are asked in the mmi?
I'm worried about it after reading your post as I have an assessment booked at opc. I didnt think it counted towards your 2 attempts and was conducted by the toc. I heard there are 10 topics from which they will ask examples from.
Any help will be very much appreciated.
Thank you.

Quin79

Hi,

If you don't mind can I ask what type of questions are asked in the mmi?
I'm worried about it after reading your post as I have an assessment booked at opc. I didnt think it counted towards your 2 attempts and was conducted by the toc. I heard there are 10 topics from which they will ask examples from.
Any help will be very much appreciated.
Thank you.
You get given the 6 questions in assessment day and are asked to write a sentence example for each of the questions. And if going through GTR process the MMI is not on the same day as assessment centre. If pass assessment centre you get invited back to DMI first and only if pass that the MMI. So plenty of time to plan and prepare your examples which you can change from what you briefly wrote down on assessment centre day.

Some TOC's differ in that the MMI is part of assessment centre day in afternoon if pass all the tests.

The DMI doesn't form part of the "2 strike" rule but all other tests at assessment centre and MMI do.

Spincity

Hi

just wondering if the interview was exactly the same or what made you feel better going the private route. Do they give more assistance as you are paying for the assessment yourself, do they give you more information and guidance on the interview or prebrief to assist in getting a pass?. Thanks

LCC106

Established Member
@Spincity It shouldn’t matter whether you do them privately or through the TOC or FOC. Everyone should be treated exactly the same in terms of instructions, information, advice and amount of time to complete the tests, as well as a level playing field on the interview part otherwise it is an unfair process.

Spincity

@Spincity It shouldn’t matter whether you do them privately or through the TOC or FOC. Everyone should be treated exactly the same in terms of instructions, information, advice and amount of time to complete the tests, as well as a level playing field on the interview part otherwise it is an unfair process.
Agree, that’s why I was curious why he felt the private assessment was better, as they should all be conducted in exactly the same way.

Anthony R

Hello, quick questions for those who know. The mmi, when you are asked to write down a brief answer before hand, do they want that also in the star format, or simply a paragraph?

iwasyoungonce

Hello, quick questions for those who know. The mmi, when you are asked to write down a brief answer before hand, do they want that also in the star format, or simply a paragraph?
I wrote about 2 sentences for each question, they will then ask for a full answer if you pass the computer based tests.

Choooochoooo

I wrote about 2 sentences for each question, they will then ask for a full answer if you pass the computer based tests.
You only sit the mmi if you pass all the computer tests. Prior to sitting the mmi you do a sje which gives them some idea of what kind of person you are so answer them truthfully

Anthony R

I have a further question I could do with help on. I’m prepping for MMI. But completely stumped and have been for the last last week for the type of examples for.

1. Completed task in face of difficulty
2. Time solved a sinful thing problem , and
3. Focus on repetitive task.

They seem straight forwards ut im hating the examples i come up with. Seem weak, any tips or ideas would help a lot. Thanks

Choooochoooo

I have a further question I could do with help on. I’m prepping for MMI. But completely stumped and have been for the last last week for the type of examples for.

They seem straight forwards ut im hating the examples i come up with. Seem weak, any tips or ideas would help a lot. Thanks
They don’t have to be examples from things done in the work environment they can be from any part of your life. I can’t help you with your examples as you’re the one who knows what you’ve done in life however what I will say is don’t make anything up because they will see through it straight away and to be honest it’s totally pointless turning up if that’s what your going to do as you will fail.

Stigy

Established Member
This is just to tell the interviewers what you’ll be using as your example. No need for STAR when writing it out, just during the interview itself.

Have they given you this info in advance then?

Status
Not open for further replies.