• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML Electrification: progress updates

59CosG95

Established Member
Little update for work in the Sundon/Kettering North Jn areas.

Since Chalton (AT)FS has gone online, work has not yet begun to physically remove the presumably redundant legacy feeder at Sundon. The manual switches at either end of the neutral section are still extant, and are fed by bare feeders from Sundon FS's cabinet.
The newer-style ones from Chalton are controlled within the compound, with cables in troughs.
(Pics to follow later)

Meanwhile at Kettering North Jn, the outstanding structure over the Fasts is still waiting its pile to be driven. The subcontractor is off on a variety of other jobs (South Wales Metro, Carstairs etc) so might not be back for a while yet. The Kettering North TSC, I've discovered, is right next to a public bridleway, so photos will follow soon of that. Insode the TSC's "Switch Farm", the switches for the Fast lines' traction power, plus the manual switches for the Fast lines, are all still coiled up awaiting the wires.

First up: Sundon OHNS. As detailed, the legacy feeding arrangements & switches still exist. The 1st two images are of the new "switch farm" fed switches from the new Chalton (AT)FS; these are F/57/06A & F/57/06B, providing power to the north of the neutral section at F/57/03.
The 3rd image is of the switching at F/57/05, switching the innermost tracks (Up Fast, Dn Slow) north of the OHNS.
The 4th image is of F/57/03 itself, and shows that its switches are connected to the Dn Fast & Up Slow either side of the OHNS.
Finally, the 5th image is of F/57/01, switching the Up Fast & Dn Slow south of the OHNS.

Everything at Sundon is still connected, and the existing switches are still physically closed. Whether the current through from the legacy NG substation is still flowing is something I don't know.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
Next up - Kettering North Jn. As mentioned above, the outstanding pile awaits installation. The switching structures are also covered in detail here, and are as follows:
  • SPC3/119/802 - Cross-Track Feed for Dn Slow & Up Slow (switch no's not quite known). Not pictured.
  • SPC3/119/812 - Cross-Track Feed for Dn Fast & Up Fast (switch no's not quite known). Feeders coiled up awaiting OLE.
  • SPC3/119/850 - MLE Disconnector to switch the overlaps for the Dn Fast & Up Fast (Dn Main/Up Main; switch no's not quite known). Feeders coiled up awaiting OLE.
  • SPC3/119/887 - MLE Disconnector to switch the overlaps for the Dn Slow & Up Slow (Dn Corby/Up Corby; switch no's not quite known).
  • SPC3/119/912 - Cross-Track Feed for Dn Main & Up Main (switch no's not quite known). Feeders coiled up awaiting OLE.
  • SPC3/119/920 - MLE Disconnector for 653A & 654A (DC & UC)
  • SPC3/119/928 - Cross-Track Feed for Dn Corby (654/ED1) & Up Corby (653/ED2).
The last two images are of the 4 disconnectors within the "switch farm"; the Corby lines are switched from structures SPC3/119/910 & SPC3/119/914, while the Main lines will be switched from SPC3/119/921 & SPC3/119/925. The rear sealing ends are earthed here and will remain incomplete until the wires extend to Mkt Hboro.

Details of the outputs from the TSC itself are provided here. Note that passive provision for autotransformers is included.
  • Switch 649 - Up Slow
  • Switch 650 - Dn Slow
  • Switch 651 - Up Fast
  • Switch 652 - Dn Fast
  • Switch Spare1 - AT Feeder Spare
  • Switch 656 - Dn Main
  • Switch 655 - Up Main
  • Switch Spare2 - AT Feeder Spare
  • Switch Spare3 - Auto TX Spare
  • Switch 654 - Dn Corby
  • Switch 653 - Up Corby

Finally - the Rushton area. Both of the first 2 overbridges north of Kettering Nth Jn look OLE compliant (SPC3/44 - Bridle Road Bridge, Rushton; SPC3/43 - Rushton Bridleway, Rushton (Kettering)), while the next one north (SPC3/42) is still in need of reconstruction. Pegs have been hammered in between O/Bs 43 & 44 for what I can only assume are OLE pile locations - these are marked "122 012 DM" & "122 017 DM". Possible midpoint anchor location?
There is another peg east of O/B 44 but I'm not sure if it has owt to do with the OLE. Another is present south of underbridge SPC3/46 (east of Rushton); again, I'm not sure if it is OLE related.

Attachments

• IMG_4781.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 204
  • IMG_4783.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4792.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4795.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4799.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4803.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4806.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4807.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4809.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4810.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4811.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4812.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4813.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_4814.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4816.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 122
  • IMG_4830.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4831.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_4839.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_4840.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 126
Last edited:

WAO

They load when I'm logged in.

Marvellous update.

Shame you don't run NR's PR

WAO

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
A great update and photographs, but my, what a pity the enclosures are already so rusty in places that large chunks of paint are peeling off before the equipment has even been commissioned, (image 4816).

Flying Phil

Established Member
Work on the Braybrooke Supply site has continued, with the ground seemingly prepared for concreting?

DSC00899.JPG

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
That’s type 1, would be surprised if it’s concreted. Possibly tarmac, but more likely left as it is.

The Ham

Established Member
That’s type 1, would be surprised if it’s concreted. Possibly tarmac, but more likely left as it is.

Indeed, you wouldn't bother with much more than a compacted Type 1 road (Type 1 being a class of stone chippings which are used in the foundations of roads and other pavements) unless it's going to see a lot of traffic using it (unlikely in this setting).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That road‘s heading over towards the site cabins in the distance, beyond the pylon, it isn’t shown as a road in the planning drawings, however I suspect, (given where the photo is probably taken from), the left foreground parallel to the railway will be permanent.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The road to the site is along side the line and continues beside the supply site. It is made of compacted stone as pictured.
DSC00898.JPGDSC00900.JPG

Killingworth

Established Member
Good to know wires are likely to reach Leicester and beyond. Seems public announcements are being carefully managed; development by stealth. The section from Chesterfield to Sheffield must be on the list for action as it would be required for HS2 as well (don't laugh).

Apparently surveyors have been spotted in the Dore area and reportedly said they were working for MML electrification. I'd want to see more evidence of that, but preliminary planning work was done years ago. It's going to take a lot of new planning so won't happen soon.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Apparently surveyors have been spotted in the Dore area and reportedly said they were working for MML electrification. I'd want to see more evidence of that, but preliminary planning work was done years ago. It's going to take a lot of new planning so won't happen soon.
Wont that be where the northern end grid feeder goes approximately?

Dr Hoo

Established Member
The theodolite team was certainly out at Dore yesterday. Lot of recent vegetation clearance too. Judging by the position of the chain-person (teetering on the bank of the recently ‘re-discovered’ River Sheaf, remarkably close to the Up Main) it wasn’t much to do with the curve re-doubling.

(I still can’t get my head round how it will be efficient to wire either Leicester or Sheffield stations before they have been significantly re-modelled. Good that Derby, Nottingham and Market Harborough have been done, of course.)

td97

Established Member
it wasn’t much to do with the curve re-doubling
Full resignalling of the MML from approx 150mi (B6057) to 158mi (Charlotte Rd) is also occuring as part of the Hope Valley upgrade.

londonmidland

Established Member
Sheffield can wait as it is at the northern end. Leicester has to be more pressing.
Whilst I agree it makes sense to extend the wires to Leicester from Market Harborough, it still begs the question as how they are going to electrify the route around Leicester pre-remodelling?

This situation reminds me of Leeds Station, once it was electrified, before it was remodelled. Albeit on a much smaller scale.

snowball

Established Member
Whilst I agree it makes sense to extend the wires to Leicester from Market Harborough, it still begs the question as how they are going to electrify the route around Leicester pre-remodelling?
Where does the idea come from that they are going to attempt that?

Killingworth

Established Member
The theodolite team was certainly out at Dore yesterday. Lot of recent vegetation clearance too. Judging by the position of the chain-person (teetering on the bank of the recently ‘re-discovered’ River Sheaf, remarkably close to the Up Main) it wasn’t much to do with the curve re-doubling.

(I still can’t get my head round how it will be efficient to wire either Leicester or Sheffield stations before they have been significantly re-modelled. Good that Derby, Nottingham and Market Harborough have been done, of course.)
They have to decide on remodelling both first surely. However, procrastination with railway projects costs billions as things are put off time and time again, then something has to be done in a hurry to make a host of other projects work, but I'm digressing.

The vegetation clearance is regular routine work from Abbey Lane over bridge to Unstone, nothing to do with the redoubling. The surveying could conceivably be, although I'd have though that had been done months ago. Vollker/Story have an advance worksite on the railway triangle for that.

The word I heard was that the men had said it was for MML electrification, but that's possibly a 3rd hand account. I must have seen them yesterday about the same time as Dr Hoo! If I meet them tomorrow I'll ask:smile:

ricoblade

They have to decide on remodelling both first surely. However, procrastination with railway projects costs billions as things are put off time and time again, then something has to be done in a hurry to make a host of other projects work, but I'm digressing.

The vegetation clearance is regular routine work from Abbey Lane over bridge to Unstone, nothing to do with the redoubling. The surveying could conceivably be, although I'd have though that had been done months ago. Vollker/Story have an advance worksite on the railway triangle for that.

The word I heard was that the men had said it was for MML electrification, but that's possibly a 3rd hand account. I must have seen them yesterday about the same time as Dr Hoo! If I meet them tomorrow I'll ask:smile:
Hi @Killingworth - Have you heard/seen plans for how they will deal with Bradway Tunnel for electrification please? My late dad (though a GC/LNER man) frequently mentioned MML electrification over the last 40 years!

Killingworth

Established Member
Hi @Killingworth - Have you heard/seen plans for how they will deal with Bradway Tunnel for electrification please? My late dad (though a GC/LNER man) frequently mentioned MML electrification over the last 40 years!
In a word, no. In 2008 £11m was spent on the tunnel and the word locally was that it would make it ready for electrification. When the HS2 roadshow came to town 2 or 3 years ago they knew nothing about that but said they hoped it would be, but without conviction.

When the 'new road' down the Sheaf valley was constructed 150 years ago the tunnel was ready about 18 months before Sheffield Midland Station. Building that was challenging. It's going to a very big job to electrify it for all likely future needs.

Any reconfiguration of platforms and tracks will have to take account of the listed status and the fact that it's built on brick and stone arches over the River Sheaf and Porter Brook. The Megatron runs beneath. The nearby bus station in Pond Street and the Ponds Forge swimming pool give a clue as to what was there 200 years ago!

WestRiding

In a word, no. In 2008 £11m was spent on the tunnel and the word locally was that it would make it ready for electrification. When the HS2 roadshow came to town 2 or 3 years ago they knew nothing about that but said they hoped it would be, but without conviction.

When the 'new road' down the Sheaf valley was constructed 150 years ago the tunnel was ready about 18 months before Sheffield Midland Station. Building that was challenging. It's going to a very big job to electrify it for all likely future needs.

Any reconfiguration of platforms and tracks will have to take account of the listed status and the fact that it's built on brick and stone arches over the River Sheaf and Porter Brook. The Megatron runs beneath. The nearby bus station in Pond Street and the Ponds Forge swimming pool give a clue as to what was there 200 years ago!
I remember the T3 at Bradway back in 2008, and I do believe the works revolved around lowering the track bed within the tunnel.

unlevel42

I remember the T3 at Bradway back in 2008, and I do believe the works revolved around lowering the track bed within the tunnel

Part of the press release in the form of Notes to editors on Monday 15 Dec 2008

"The work comprised:
1. Partial Relining and Repair of Bradway Tunnel (approx nine and a half weeks) Value, approx £8m Drill and install 7500 GRP Bars Application of 360 linear metres sprayed concrete Drilled and installed 4125 Stainless Steel L Pins Drilled and installed 180 4metre long rockbolts Sidewall Grouting, 3500 holes and 1100 tonnes of grout (to waterproof the lining). Re-pointing 3000m² of brick/stone work.
2. Renewal of Track and Drainage in the Tunnel (approx three and a half weeks) Value approx £3m. Complete renewal of rail/sleepers/ballast. Tunnel portal to portal both lines. 250yds of new 6ft drain installed."

No mention of track lowering.

Killingworth

Established Member

Part of the press release in the form of Notes to editors on Monday 15 Dec 2008

"The work comprised:
1. Partial Relining and Repair of Bradway Tunnel (approx nine and a half weeks) Value, approx £8m Drill and install 7500 GRP Bars Application of 360 linear metres sprayed concrete Drilled and installed 4125 Stainless Steel L Pins Drilled and installed 180 4metre long rockbolts Sidewall Grouting, 3500 holes and 1100 tonnes of grout (to waterproof the lining). Re-pointing 3000m² of brick/stone work.
2. Renewal of Track and Drainage in the Tunnel (approx three and a half weeks) Value approx £3m. Complete renewal of rail/sleepers/ballast. Tunnel portal to portal both lines. 250yds of new 6ft drain installed."

No mention of track lowering.

There may have been some speculative wishful thinking going on back then. At the time we thought electrification was imminent and making the tunnel ready seemed logical