• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML Electrification: progress updates

AM9

Veteran Member
I'd read somewhere that the 80x traction motors are rated at 300kw and the 810s are 330kw. I can't remember hwre I saw that or I'd have linked it.
So if that's true, a 9 car 802 will have a peak power of 3500kW available on diesel and a continuous (or 1 hour) of 6000kW under wires, assuming that the transformers are rated for that. That's a world of difference in performance terms so failing to mention the far superior power of the motors is misleading.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gingertom

Established Member
So if that's true, a 9 car 802 will have a peak power of 3500kW available on diesel and a continuous (or 1 hour) of 6000kW under wires, assuming that the transformers are rated for that. That's a world of difference in performance terms so failing to mention the far superior power of the motors is misleading.
that's the power required under the wires for 140mph operation, never intended to do that speed on diesel. 810 is being designed for 125mph operation on both electric and diesel with similar performance from either mode. With the diesel gensets also being required to provide ancilliaries and hotel load it will always be behind electric, which will be able to supply the ancillaries and hotel load over and above the traction load, and be able to run the motors "hot" for a short duration power boost.

AM9

Veteran Member
that's the power required under the wires for 140mph operation, never intended to do that speed on diesel. 810 is being designed for 125mph operation on both electric and diesel with similar performance from either mode. With the diesel gensets also being required to provide ancilliaries and hotel load it will always be behind electric, which will be able to supply the ancillaries and hotel load over and above the traction load, and be able to run the motors "hot" for a short duration power boost.
I did say "available" which in a description about that trains would be appropriate. My point was that many descriptions of diesel-electric and bi-mode trains seem to soley rest on the power of the diesel engine, often describing the engine as the 'prime mover'. That is fine for a diesel electric train as all power comes from the diesel engine (including as you say, all non-traction requirements). For a bi-mode it should be argued that the primary mode is electric, and the total traction power is the sum of all the motor power ratings. The diesel mode is a secondary mode limited by the diesel engine's capabilities.
Back to the 810s, Wikipedia gives each of the diesel engines a rating of 735kW, - a total of just under 3000kW, and given that a 5-car consist has just two motor cars, that means 8 330kW motors total 2640kW, - less than the four gensets, so there is little difference between the two modes, - most unusual for bi-modes.

snowball

Established Member
I think "prime mover" is less about what's most important than about the energy transformations involved. Perhaps for an electric train the prime mover is at the power station.

gingertom

Established Member
Back to the 810s, Wikipedia gives each of the diesel engines a rating of 735kW, - a total of just under 3000kW, and given that a 5-car consist has just two motor cars, that means 8 330kW motors total 2640kW, - less than the four gensets, so there is little difference between the two modes, - most unusual for bi-modes.
it's to give it similar performance on diesel as electric. Similarly the Flirt has 500kW traction motors and the diesel power pack has the diesel engines rated at 560kW- more than enough for the traction load and anciliaries and hotel power. I'd go as far to suggest those motors could be run slightly warm for short periods on diesel too, bit drifting off topic. The 810 will be fit for purpose, performance wise, either mode.

Richard Scott

Established Member
it's to give it similar performance on diesel as electric. Similarly the Flirt has 500kW traction motors and the diesel power pack has the diesel engines rated at 560kW- more than enough for the traction load and anciliaries and hotel power. I'd go as far to suggest those motors could be run slightly warm for short periods on diesel too, bit drifting off topic. The 810 will be fit for purpose, performance wise, either mode.
Don't forget there will be generating losses so that 560kW will be not much more than 500kW by the time it gets to the motors and the ancillaries plus hotel power load will mean unlikely 500kW will ever get to motors on diesel.

Mikw

Interested by the comparison of electric and diesel

What is the maximum line speed between Leicester and Kettering? Would the superior acceleration of the electric units make for a quicker journey time on the 810's compared to them running on diesel?

And what difference would it make when it comes to journey times compared to the current fleet?

WAO

There are, IIRC, stretches of 110mph, dropping to 85mph through the MH curves (the Little and Great Bowdens). The 110 limit will be because of signalling but may also be because of curvature in places.

Electric (supply and) traction will always have the edge, even with 80x's.

Electrification will probably make more difference South of Leicester because of the three summits to be climbed (Sharnbrook, Desborough and Kibworth), whereas the terrain is flatter to the North until Trent.

WAO

zwk500

Veteran Member
There are, IIRC, stretches of 110mph, dropping to 85mph through the MH curves (the Little and Great Bowdens). The 110 limit will be because of signalling but may also be because of curvature in places.
110mph for HST differential only, 100mph for other trains.

InTheEastMids

Electrification will probably make more difference South of Leicester because of the three summits to be climbed (Sharnbrook, Desborough and Kibworth)

yes, the 222s are noticeably quicker up the hills than the 2+8 HSTs.
Anyone got any idea how much an 810 on electric might pull ahead? (edit - ahead of a 222)
Once electrification is complete to Wigston, is Leicester in 1h a realistic ambition? (Believe it's currently timed at 1h 3mins)

59CosG95

Established Member

Electrification will probably make more difference South of Leicester because of the three summits to be climbed (Sharnbrook, Desborough and Kibworth), whereas the terrain is flatter to the North until Trent.

WAO
I wonder if an increase to 125mph will be catered for if signal spacings change...

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A reminder that this thread should be confined to discussing MML Electrification updates.

If anyone wants to discuss anything else then they are welcome to start a new thread in the appropriate forum section.

Mikw

WAO
Thank you, that's very interesting. The Desborough summit killed of a 180 i was on the other week. It barely made it up, and then terminated in Kettering and we had to de-train.

baz962

Established Member
yes, the 222s are noticeably quicker up the hills than the 2+8 HSTs.
Anyone got any idea how much an 810 on electric might pull ahead? (edit - ahead of a 222)
Once electrification is complete to Wigston, is Leicester in 1h a realistic ambition? (Believe it's currently timed at 1h 3mins)
You could do it in one hour non stop now. What stops it is catching up other trains or getting restrictive signals.

baz962

Established Member
which is usually the same thing!
Usually isn't always. Sometimes a junction is protected or a signaller has been slow or gone off for a cuppa etc. Or possibly protecting pway. Although I did forget to mention it also depends on how many emergency and temporary speed restrictions are out there. But ok let me put it another way. If Leicester to London or London to Leicester trains are able to hit all permissable line speeds, an hour is possible... Just. But we both are aware I'm sure , but other forum users won't necessarily be. Edit to add level crossings.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
That is a fair point. Although there aren’t any controlled LX on the MML south of Leicester ;)

InTheEastMids

You could do it in one hour non stop now. What stops it is catching up other trains or getting restrictive signals.
Thanks, I guess what I meant is that whether the additional performance of an 810 might allow a regular service to be reliably timetabled at a headline 1h.

I'm expecting the answer to be no for the reasons you say, and these services are dictated by non-EMR factors like Thameslink Core.

So perhaps it's worth rephrasing the question in terms of whether EMR are expecting any marginal gains from electric traction performance or accompanying infra improvements.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
So perhaps it's worth rephrasing the question in terms of whether EMR are expecting any marginal gains from electric traction performance or accompanying infra improvements.
Well mods have already warned the thread is drifting OT but that is why iirc TPU was paused and then unpaused. Electrification will give marginal improvements - acceleration, track wear, CO2 etc. But infrastructure improvements really make a huge difference.

The secret of going fast is not to go slow!!

59CosG95

Established Member

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Big lot of stats from the weekend just gone - I believe all the boosters from Borehamwood to Luton are disconnected now. It also says that cross-track feeds and masts were installed at Radlett...

‘Radlett‘ = St Albans to Radlett.

saw plenty of SPL vans knocking around the St Albans area over the weekend. Greggs and Simmons* did a roaring trade no doubt.

* local bakery chain, slightly more bready than sausage rolly than Greggs, but do sandwiches to order.

Magdalia

Established Member
Greggs and Simmons* did a roaring trade no doubt.

* local bakery chain, slightly more bready than sausage rolly than Greggs, but do sandwiches to order.
Simmons are good, especially for cake. And they have cafes for eating in at Welwyn GC and Letchworth GC, both close to the station.

John Webb

Established Member

Big lot of stats from the weekend just gone - I believe all the boosters from Borehamwood to Luton are disconnected now. It also says that cross-track feeds and masts were installed at Radlett...
Photo in link clearly the Napsbury site - see my photos in post #5,459 on previous page.

InTheEastMids

Well mods have already warned the thread is drifting OT but that is why iirc TPU was paused and then unpaused. Electrification will give marginal improvements - acceleration, track wear, CO2 etc. But infrastructure improvements really make a huge difference.

The secret of going fast is not to go slow!!

Keeping it on topic, I went back and had a quick look at the business case (link below), and as expected it doesn't try to unpick the journey time benefits, which are all measured against a 2016 baseline of fleet and timetable. Most the generalised journey time benefits generally come from the timetable rewrite (doubled Corby services & deletion of InterCity calls south of Kettering)

In minor news, a new foundation has appeared next the footbridge on Braybrooke Road in Market Harborough, I do wonder about the scheduling of projects like this because, from the outside, this type of thing does make it all look a bit random (but I'm sure the contractors know what they're doing).

59CosG95

Established Member
In minor news, a new foundation has appeared next the footbridge on Braybrooke Road in Market Harborough, I do wonder about the scheduling of projects like this because, from the outside, this type of thing does make it all look a bit random (but I'm sure the contractors know what they're doing).
From previous visits, that foundation looks to be filling the gap between the mast immediately north and the mast a little to the south.

Roger B

Erm, most mast foundations fill the gap between the masts immediately north and immediately south! :D
Quite a a few fill the gap between the masts immediately west and immediately east - eg out of Paddington - or any other points of the compass! The only excpetions being end of wiring for that piece of track or end of track.