• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML Electrification: progress updates

Robertj21a

On Moderation
So as I understand it, we will likely see electrification North of Market Harborough to Derby and Nottingham, also between Clay Cross and Sheffield but not between Derby and Clay Cross?

Aren't the chances of electrification to Leicester quite poor anyway all the time that there isn't a solution to the road bridge by Leicester station ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
Exactly this. The majority of the cost of electrification is not wired and masts. It’s design, prep works (site compounds, utilities,) route clearance (bridge works etc), power supplies, signalling alterations, and more. In the case of Bedford - Wellingboro’, almost all of this was completed, or contracted, or required regardless of whether 2 or four tracks were electrified, at the time of the decision to ‘pause’ the MML electrification.

Which makes the non electrification of the fast lines from Kings Norton to Barnt Green really annoying!
What makes the non-electrification of the Fasts from Kings Norton to Longbridge, and then the Slows from Longbridge to Cofton Jn/Barnt Green doubly annoying is that, when the time comes to wire up the unwired tracks, the existing assemblies will invariably need removal.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
So as I understand it, we will likely see electrification North of Market Harborough to Derby and Nottingham, also between Clay Cross and Sheffield but not between Derby and Clay Cross?
Clay Cross to Sheffield (plus the northern end of the Erewash line leading to Clay Cross) has to be done assuming the HS2 Sheffield connection is built, currently on hold pending a review by the National Infrastructure Commission. There is no current commitment to go north of Market Harborough and although continuation from Kettering to MH seems highly likely a go-ahead to do the work on the ground hasn't actually been announced.

jfowkes

Aren't the chances of electrification to Leicester quite poor anyway all the time that there isn't a solution to the road bridge by Leicester station ?

There been a lot of twitter chat (mainly @25Kv) about surge arrestors and how they can reduce clearances. Maybe that's the answer. By the time wiring to Leicester gets to design stage they might be available for use?

Speculating wildly here.

TheWalrus

Established Member
I don’t know the route at all I’m afraid. But our of my area unfortunately.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Clay Cross to Sheffield (plus the northern end of the Erewash line leading to Clay Cross) has to be done assuming the HS2 Sheffield connection is built, currently on hold pending a review by the National Infrastructure Commission. There is no current commitment to go north of Market Harborough and although continuation from Kettering to MH seems highly likely a go-ahead to do the work on the ground hasn't actually been announced.
Would seem better to do Sheffield now and start getting paid back on the investment sooner.

D365

Veteran Member
There been a lot of twitter chat (mainly @25Kv) about surge arrestors and how they can reduce clearances. Maybe that's the answer. By the time wiring to Leicester gets to design stage they might be available for use?

Speculating wildly here.

There have been developments in that area over the last few years, but they are obviously not part of the scope when it comes to the ongoing MML electrification.

jfowkes

There have been developments in that area over the last few years, but they are obviously not part of the scope when it comes to the ongoing MML electrification.

The scope doesn't include Leicester at this point though does it? Sorry, I don't really understand what you're saying there.

Aictos

Established Member

IF they do decide to wire up Derby to Sheffield then would it be economical to also wire up the Matlock branch too? Because I can't see it using much resources and it does seem to my untrained eye to be a rather easy addon.

Also it would make sense to also wire up Nottingham to East Midlands Parkway via Attenborough Junction/Nottingham to Derby via Sheet Stores Junction/Nottingham to Chesterfield via Radford Junction but just as important they need to ensure Sheffield to Sheffield via Woodhouse is also done as it would still provide a route for London bound services if the route via Dronfield is unavailable.

D365

Veteran Member
The scope doesn't include Leicester at this point though does it? Sorry, I don't really understand what you're saying there.

As in, there hasn't been a formal announcement yet about electrification beyond Market Harborough, and that surge arrestors (as far as I am aware) have not been implemented on the ongoing scheme.

hwl

Established Member
IF they do decide to wire up Derby to Sheffield then would it be economical to also wire up the Matlock branch too? Because I can't see it using much resources and it does seem to my untrained eye to be a rather easy addon.

Also it would make sense to also wire up Nottingham to East Midlands Parkway via Attenborough Junction/Nottingham to Derby via Sheet Stores Junction/Nottingham to Chesterfield via Radford Junction but just as important they need to ensure Sheffield to Sheffield via Woodhouse is also done as it would still provide a route for London bound services if the route via Dronfield is unavailable.
EMR getting an intercity bi-mode fleet effectively removes the urgency to get contiguous electrification done which then points to getting easier/cheaper sections done with higher usage levels. The later points to Kettering - Trent Junction as the place to start.
Sorting out the small gap at Carlton Road junction would allow electric freight on the southern MML, a short extension to Toton would allow fright to swap locos there with a which could get London bound freight on electric (the heavy stone trains might be a good starting point).

edwin_m

Veteran Member

Speculating wildly here.
They were used, with insulation of the bridge underside, where the Queen Street line goes over the main line in Cardiff, which would have been very difficult to deal with otherwise. To me the Leicester bridge doesn't look too bad for clearance.
Would seem better to do Sheffield now and start getting paid back on the investment sooner.
If the government is serious about decarbonization, re-balancing investment and getting the economy moving via shovel-ready schemes, then this one is a no-brainer on all counts. Many of the structures have already had work done, and there may be designs completed for others. Design as far as MH was authorized a year or so back, so ought to be complete by now for the teams to move northwards when they finish what is needed for the Corby service. While they do that design could be finished for the next stage and so on.

Any infill helps the justification for more infill, though less so now that bi-modes have been ordered. Matlock to Derby would probably be pointless without Derby to Nottingham as any likely future timetable would link them together.

WymoWanderer

Bedford (49m 65ch) - Wellingborough (65m 09ch)
  • North of Templars Way overbridge, Sharnbrook, an AT switching site (Track Section Cabinet until AT operation) has been constructed in the former works compound. As of 20/4/20, it has now gone live.
  • The Up Slow from Wellingborough to Sharnbrook is due to enter service on 23/4/20.
  • The switching/feeder site at Wymington now looks structurally complete. (It could also be live...)
Firstly thank you to @59CosG95 for your excellent summaries and knowledge on the forum.

So I had a wander today along the new path between Wymington Meadow and Sharnbrook Summit. It would seem Network Rail have had enough of walkers breaking the fencing that used to block the connection and trespassing right next to the Up Fast line. So instead there is a now a fenced path linking the two.
As far as a I can tell the Wymington switching site is not live. I have heard no hum from it and also noticed the blue wires are still attached to the overhead lines - e.g. just about visible on the picture showing the portal at the North entrance to the Sharnbrook Tunnel.
No sign of the Up Slow being used as yet, the top surface of the rails are looking as rusty as ever.

Network Rail asserting their rights to the land but all credit to them for doing the right thing and making a safe pathway.
y4mYsjhmzGe9mcX-Vsq1_ngLjrEkFZ81vOz8YBZvAgOhFNKOssv7Fg8d7ASgCiZMRgO2M1N_so_jdGAauI1Br-4esc7nFlL9tXh2izVglQIgVfKGv7ydcv44fplORSI_X0R6VJQlmZomqdweVV8SbGueigBfdu23vlJaJ1ndxAigtXzxI6Wkbx6kbmTqm98KNmkJQtyQNE-Pv3DwN-5NIVtew

Sadly the graffiti morons have already struck!
y4mELcIqoKx3nztyXBHW0lslSj_JKhKhQowApnWkAzxDMLBoFRqFVZddtc1UvgLsDIxjsUE-SsGFjbJ83p3mOn5Nvpmg8G3_Klo_8r1S84XTWyLEHcbNVaJemH1_2wYrBQfcNyLTHSZx5z7JWMUXY1t1EWozV90Sqz1zlcxx3QJrD1B9PYTyIDigvj0AhiQQnhsBm8IzqsL7iI8MCP85AleDA

y4mLgS9eyfVsXMVq9CWrojuw-u2UaEmwE4a83xpYAmM350B0n5w7PXwin_LGNa0gwJ9Ur0pOnvxov94oXWVgV7GPSs4XcEo5wFHsN1Hb-okOUbZOd1g4z8egOYso5O3E_Y6vZSq5sc0TQifh7EohGrQgni_NLFmnT0PFk32Ha7rfO7LlCHf2bznIlIht2h0mNiKtqUOIkGW19co71zXGsUkwQ

Slow line tunnel ventilation shafts now with live wire warning.
y4mBTh6_bjOCKU5AtE6uPZ3LfDP1sCIPM-6Bqx4MFyA2Owd7yRqlCv0WKSKHTJ5mf4wPPvic2JALa1z99NdvrcqfKZ8Cg2IkwJAWASLbpFzDDxQDv-eLPINSSCihf_0LcxZI1zoHSqDupQ_NK3ES8jMXWoL-J41BduXgxb3EPzD0mX5HmedQuXmPJNaADiN9PtC5EwLBSjMteaOs7KhczLbxg

richieb1971

Established Member
I remember walking along the fast tracks at Wymington. Long before network rail put blockades in place. It was about as dangerous as walking around Dawlish. Never understood the double standards.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Network Rail asserting their rights to the land but all credit to them for doing the right thing and making a safe pathway.
y4mYsjhmzGe9mcX-Vsq1_ngLjrEkFZ81vOz8YBZvAgOhFNKOssv7Fg8d7ASgCiZMRgO2M1N_so_jdGAauI1Br-4esc7nFlL9tXh2izVglQIgVfKGv7ydcv44fplORSI_X0R6VJQlmZomqdweVV8SbGueigBfdu23vlJaJ1ndxAigtXzxI6Wkbx6kbmTqm98KNmkJQtyQNE-Pv3DwN-5NIVtew

Sadly the graffiti morons have already struck!
y4mELcIqoKx3nztyXBHW0lslSj_JKhKhQowApnWkAzxDMLBoFRqFVZddtc1UvgLsDIxjsUE-SsGFjbJ83p3mOn5Nvpmg8G3_Klo_8r1S84XTWyLEHcbNVaJemH1_2wYrBQfcNyLTHSZx5z7JWMUXY1t1EWozV90Sqz1zlcxx3QJrD1B9PYTyIDigvj0AhiQQnhsBm8IzqsL7iI8MCP85AleDA
I think what they are doing here is making clear this is a footpath not a bridleway, therefore not intended for use by horse riders or cyclists. Reason may be that those groups could be within the minimum clearances from the overhead wires in locations such as shown on the second picture.

Class 170101

Established Member
I think what they are doing here is making clear this is a footpath not a bridleway, therefore not intended for use by horse riders or cyclists. Reason may be that those groups could be within the minimum clearances from the overhead wires in locations such as shown on the second picture.

I'd imagine the risk assessment would still have to account for them though.

59CosG95

Established Member
Some interest for the Kettering - Market Harborough route...

Engnineering firm Van Elle Rail have been undertaking ground investigations for the route between Kettering North Jn & Market Harborough, to aid the design for the foundations of the new masts.

Attachments

• 20200425_151626.jpg
    20200425_151626.jpg
    801.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 20200425_151656.jpg
    20200425_151656.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 120

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Absolutely fantastic news. OTOH it is a shame when I get excited about a small extension when it really should be all the way to Sheffield in a rolling programme then to Doncaster then Leeds then York.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
If they're still doing ground investigations then the design work authorized a year ago isn't finished yet. Construction won't be authorized until that happens, or even later.

A bit off topic, but for those interested in electrification - and who are bored during lockdown! - a film made for BICC showing how the Liverpool Street - Shenfield line was done in the late 1940s has appeared on YouTube at:

A film about maintenance of the then new EMUs at Ilford follows, and finally there's a BTF film about completion of the Shenfield - Southend electrification.

Not a hi-vis or hard hat in site, but lots of caps! And I like how the guy continued sitting up in the overhead, doing his stuff, whilst a steam loco passed beneath!

I wonder how long Bedford - Corby would have taken if the same processes could still be used?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
A bit off topic, but for those interested in electrification - and who are bored during lockdown! - a film made for BICC showing how the Liverpool Street - Shenfield line was done in the late 1940s has appeared on YouTube at:

A film about maintenance of the then new EMUs at Ilford follows, and finally there's a BTF film about completion of the Shenfield - Southend electrification.

Not a hi-vis or hard hat in site, but lots of caps! And I like how the guy continued sitting up in the overhead, doing his stuff, whilst a steam loco passed beneath!

I wonder how long Bedford - Corby would have taken if the same processes could still be used?
There's a story in Gerry Fiennes's book that they only sent the first EMU out on test the night before the start of the electric service! When it came back with a scratch they sent all the gangers around to walk the route, and one of them found a flattened speed restriction sign that was easily replaced.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The site of the Braybrooke feeder station is now......a nice crop of growing wheat or some such......so no sign of any construction yet.

Domh245

Established Member