• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML Electrification: progress updates

richieb1971

Established Member
There were, I believe, track renewals at Radwell.
1597529179977.png

This was filmed the other day (2 days ago). The ballast doesn't look new and its still jointed track. Saying that though, Radwell to some people means up to 1 mile south of this location.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WymoWanderer

Had a wander up to the Irchester substation (in Wymington, North Bedfordshire) and noticed two of the isolators are now connected which presumably confirms the power is running up to Irchester as previously mentioned by others.

The ground is too wet for me to wander to the isolators on the train lines. When the conditions improve I'll go and have a look.

Lots of staff activity at the substation today btw.21023069-B0EA-4CDE-BD5A-B1E89C55F6FB.jpeg

Last edited:

59CosG95

Established Member
News from LinkedIn regarding Braybrooke... https://www.linkedin.com/posts/whit...trification-activity-6702164766112178177-jPHy
Whitfield Construction Services said:
Project Win - Braybrooke ATFS design works

We are very happy to announce the award by SPL POWERLINES UK HOLDING LIMITED to WCS of the civil and electrical design of Braybrooke ATFS substation, HV cable routes and DNO supply on the Midland Mainline Electrification project. Working closely with National Grid and Network Rail, the Auto-Transformer Feeder Station will provide electrical intake to the railway from the grid and facilitate electrification to Market Harborough as part of the Key Output 1a design deliverables.

We are looking forward to being part of this exciting project!

WAO

This seems to commit to electrification at least to MH. If an extension lead to Glendon Jn were an option, then Braybrooke would only be a GSP not an ATFS.

WAO

59CosG95

Established Member
This seems to commit to electrification at least to MH. If an extension lead to Glendon Jn were an option, then Braybrooke would only be a GSP not an ATFS.

WAO
IMO, it also seems to clarify that, at the very least, work to AT-upgrade the route north of Borehamwood ATFS hasn't been given the proverbial mothballs.

railneighbour

According to a notice pinned to a fence on a bridge just south of Kettering station, the overhead wires around Kettering are now live. It was originally planned for overnight tonight/tomorrow morning (22nd/23rd)

Legolash2o

According to a Twitter post. Bedford to Corby is now live.

I can't copy the tweet at the minute.

59CosG95

Established Member
Last edited:

Meerkat

Established Member
The said tweet you’re referring to is available to view here.
Just look at the difference between the chap in the first photo and the chaps in the second one!
A good example of how cost inflation did buy positives such as the protection of the workers.
Have you seen the British Transport Film of them working on the OLE in the 60’s - ladders leaned on the wires and scaled in office shoes!?

John Webb

Established Member
Just look at the difference between the chap in the first photo and the chaps in the second one!
A good example of how cost inflation did buy positives such as the protection of the workers.
Have you seen the British Transport Film of them working on the OLE in the 60’s - ladders leaned on the wires and scaled in office shoes!?
These could well have been safety shoes. When I first needed to wear such footwear in the early 1970s there was a very limited range available compared to the last 30 years and it was office-style shoes I was given. (I still buy safety shoes, despite being retired for over 20 years, cheaper, harder-wearing and the wider width due to the toecaps suits my feet much more!)

NAPSBURY: Drove past here on Saturday - no noticeable works so far next to the North Orbital trading estate.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
These could well have been safety shoes. When I first needed to wear such footwear in the early 1970s there was a very limited range available compared to the last 30 years and it was office-style shoes I was given. (I still buy safety shoes, despite being retired for over 20 years, cheaper, harder-wearing and the wider width due to the toecaps suits my feet much more!)

NAPSBURY: Drove past here on Saturday - no noticeable works so far next to the North Orbital trading estate.
I think (safety) boots are now required for track walking as with shoes it's very easy to twist an ankle on the uneven surface.

Ploughman

Established Member
I have worn safety shoes daily for the last 30 years in work or not, but on track they get changed to boots.
As for 1960s's antics with ladders leaning on the OLE that still occured in the 90's and later.
Recall one night I spotted some Tree cutters using the OLE as a way to get to some awkward trees.
The wire had only been strung the night before.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Looking forward to a day out in the morning to have a look at progress.

(the end game is a gentleman's luncheon , being retired , at the Brunswick in Derby)

59CosG95

Established Member
Spent some time today looking at the Key Outputs again for the MML Upgrade. Taken from the Economic Case presented to the DfT in 2016 (pre-Grayling).
Key Output 1 - delivered by Dec 2019
  • electrification from Bedford to Kettering / Corby (done)
  • capacity enhancement schemes between Bedford-Kettering (4th track Sharnbrook - Kettering) and Kettering-Corby (2nd track restoration & linespeed upgrade) which facilitate a 6th LDHS path (both done AIUI)
  • Derby Station remodelling (done)
  • PJIF (Passenger Journey Improvement Fund) linespeed works at Market Harborough (done), Leicester South Junction (unknown) and Derby North (done?).
Key Output 2 - delivered by Dec 2023
  • completion of electrification between Kettering and Sheffield/Nottingham
  • adjustments to OLE between London St Pancras and Bedford to enable operation of electric traction at 125mph.
The reason I bring this up is that the main steelwork supplier for the project (L'boro'-based Adey Steel Group) said this on LinkedIn:
Adey Steel Group said:
There are rightly many posts this week celebrating the successful completion of the Midland Mainline L2C project. It has been a privilege for Adey Steel Group to support the teams at SPL POWERLINES UK HOLDING LIMITED and Network Rail over the past 2 years, working collaboratively for collective success. We have provided over 5,000 tonnes of OLE structures to the project and we look forward to continuing to support on KO1A and KO2 as the electrification program moves north.

AIUI, K01A is the extension to Market Harborough.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
AIUI, K01A is the extension to Market Harborough.
Unfortunately in marketing speak "looking forward to" tends to mean "hope you will want us to do" and doesn't indicate it's actually going to happen. If it is agreed then I imagine there will be much fanfare from the DfT and they'll get the local MPs out of their backwoods, in the hope that we've all forgotten it's un-cancelling something the same party cancelled a few years ago.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member

Very impressive and the OLE fits so much better into the landscape than those on the GWML , looks as if the stabling sidings need some more work. Carnage south of SAC this morning , but got there and back safely - even on 2 HST's for some of the way....

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Unfortunately in marketing speak "looking forward to" tends to mean "hope you will want us to do" and doesn't indicate it's actually going to happen. If it is agreed then I imagine there will be much fanfare from the DfT and they'll get the local MPs out of their backwoods, in the hope that we've all forgotten it's un-cancelling something the same party cancelled a few years ago.

There will be additional steelwork installed south of Bedford as part of the upgrade to enable 125mph electric operation