• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mobile phones - barring numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Colonel

A question for the technically aware please. Is it possible to bar incoming calls from a certain number on a mobile phone at all, in the same way emails can be blocked? I've got a Samsung Galaxy Y if it makes any difference. I can't see anything obvious on the phone.

Thanks in advance.

The Colonel

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I've not had to do it myself, but a relative who needed a number blocked called the network who were able to do it on their behalf. That successfully blocked calls and texts, but I believe the person was still able to leave answerphone messages.

district

Some networks can't do it though. I've had cause to try and do it before, I don't think Virgin Mobile were able to, nor giffgaff if I remember correctly.

blue87

There are apps available which can block calls for certain numbers, witheld calls and numbers not in contacts.

Last edited:

table38

Established Member
I can do it on my Android HTC, but you have to add the number you want to block to "People" first, and then you can block that person.

2Dogbox

I wish I could block people calling me to do surveys, offer me compensation for injurys and re-claim PPI . . . It's getting silly. God knows how they get the number!

flymo

Established Member
God knows how they get the number!

Is it someone you know or a cold caller?.

If a cold caller then it maybe just a randomly dialled numbers, if they get a bite they have business, if not there is no charge to them as the call is not answered.

If there is a number you do not know calling you and you have voicemail, just reject the call. If it is someone you know they will leave a message and you can call them back. If not, forget about it and move on, life is too short and so am I.

I receive around 4 to 5 faux cold calls per day and never answer. If you bar one of their numbers they will just use another one.

Is there a database to which you can report these numbers?

If it is someone you know who is annoying you then I think you need to have a word with them.

swj99

Is it possible to bar incoming calls ....... Samsung Galaxy
I couldn't say without seeing the phone, mines an old Samsung G600. On that, I notice you can select the phone number of anyone who has sent you a text, and block the number. Whether this means they can't call you or just can't text you, I don't know. I use the facility when I get spam texts.

LE Greys

Established Member
I've tried it before with Tesco Mobile, and they wouldn't do it. That was with 'cold texts' rather than calls. Eventually, the problem went away.

L&Y Robert

A question for the technically aware please. Is it possible to bar incoming calls from a certain number on a mobile phone at all, in the same way emails can be blocked? I've got a Samsung Galaxy Y if it makes any difference. I can't see anything obvious on the phone.

Thanks in advance.

The Colonel

I didn't buy the phone, or get a provider or what-have-you and so I never get any calls AT ALL!

enviro

Only thing I know that it can be done with is blackberry. You just download a call blocker from app world and block numbers until you heart is content. I have around 20 bocked numbers in my block list that are listed as blocked more than twice in the last 7 days.

Phil6219

I had a Samsung a few years ago and I could block numbers on that, stopped calls and texts. The number had to be added to the contacts list first and then it was possible to select it and block it.

Worked a treat too on the ex :D

Phil 8-)

richw

Veteran Member
I wish I could block people calling me to do surveys, offer me compensation for injurys and re-claim PPI . . . It's getting silly. God knows how they get the number!

you can, register your number with the Telephone preference service, then it becomes an offence for them to call you, and any that do you report to them.
I've reported Launa windows recently for their constant cold calling

Status
Not open for further replies.