• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mobile tickets and railcard on the app?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
Silly me lost my railcard last night, and can't find the original paper receipt so it looks like I will have to buy a new one. Serves me right for being careless!

But thinking of going digital - how does it work? If I buy the card and it's on my phone, and also the rail ticket, does that mean once the ticket's been looked at and the guard wants to see my card, I have to then fiddle around on the phone to find the app and card; which obviously takes up the guard's time - or are they in some way combined (ie your ticket shows up on the mobile card app rather than separately)?

Also I assume if I use another phone, as long as the app's downloaded I'm good to go with that?

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dam01977

I have a digital railcard, and sometimes use a mobile ticket in the SWR app.
When I get on the train I usually open the railcard app so it’s ready then open the SWR app and have the ticket displayed. Then let the phone lock.

When the guard comes around I unlock phone with the mobile ticket displayed. When they scan that I use the iOS side swipe from the bottom to swap to the previous app which shows my railcard, although 9 times out of 10 they walk off as soon as the ticket scans.

It would be great if the operator apps could check the railcard app and provide details on the mobile ticket.

Howardh

Established Member
I have a digital railcard, and sometimes use a mobile ticket in the SWR app.
When I get on the train I usually open the railcard app so it’s ready then open the SWR app and have the ticket displayed. Then let the phone lock.

When the guard comes around I unlock phone with the mobile ticket displayed. When they scan that I use the iOS side swipe from the bottom to swap to the previous app which shows my railcard, although 9 times out of 10 they walk off as soon as the ticket scans.

It would be great if the operator apps could check the railcard app and provide details on the mobile ticket.
As more go down this route they surely will? Meanwhile the railcard site seems to be down, so I've printed off and filled in the paper form and will take it to my local station tomorrow. Can't remember whether the station gives me a card there and then, or if it's posted and I use the receipt for immediate travel...anyone??

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The station will give you a paper Railcard tomorrow.

Samuel88

On Moderation
I wouldn’t bother using the mobile app, or even buying a physical card online given the problems the website is having. Even now it’s giving a 404 message whenever you try to log in...

Howardh

Established Member
I wouldn’t bother using the mobile app, or even buying a physical card online given the problems the website is having. Even now it’s giving a 404 message whenever you try to log in...
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Seems to have had issues for some time, which will be a pain for those wanting cards but nowhere near a staffed station. They can always ring up though.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A railcard issued by a station is a paper one. Think credit card sized tickets issued by stations, the same but using Senior Railcard blanks.

Noting is sent through the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.