• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MOD Kineton and its Railway History

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was challenged to look at MOD Kineton by someone who read my blog on Bicester Military Railway. This post is the result. ....

https://rogerfarnworth.wordpress.com/2018/08/09/mod-kineton-and-its-railway-history

MOD Kineton developed as a depot in the Second World War. Construction began in 1941 and the depot came to occupy most of the land between Kineton and Temple Herdwyke. It was a Central Ammunition Depot, it also served during the war as a transit camp, with Polish and Czechoslovakian troops based there.

The site continues in use into 21st Century. Much of the original railway and sidings at MOD Kineton has been removed but the depot continues to be rail-served and to have a significant internal rail network.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Your post as above, seen very belatedly: thanks for the extremely interesting link, telling of associated matters concerning the Stratford-on-Avon & Midland Junction Railway, and its late-in-the-era and virtually stillborn offshoot the Edge Hill Light.

Fenny Compton -- MOD Kineton, the only surviving-in-use remnant of any kind, of the SMJ: which is one of those cross-country lesser lines which I would dearly love to have witnessed in action; but, born too late / in the wrong place !

Status
Not open for further replies.