• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Model Rail Bargains & Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddragon

Established Member
Thought that as suggested a thread to note sales, bargains etc to our group would be a good idea.

TMC 50% off sale - many sold out!

Kernow have hidden gems but are not specifically listed as sale such as this one 62% off

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SeanG

Bargain Hunters on RM web is a good source for this sort of thing

Iskra

Established Member
Amazon have a sale on, with Pecketts at £68 and Mk1's as low as £16 as a couple of examples

reddragon

Established Member
eBay is rife with bargains if you look well & are patient. Just ignore inflated prices & keep your eyes open!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
eBay is rife with bargains if you look well & are patient. Just ignore inflated prices & keep your eyes open!

I tell you what, they aren’t when it comes to N gauge.
I don’t know if it’s because of limited runs on things but a lot of bread and butter stuff is very expensive.

I’m glad I bought what I did a couple of years ago because I’d struggle now…

Iskra

Established Member
Rails of Sheffield have an additional 5% off everything on their site currently

reddragon

Established Member
Hattons 2nd hand sale started today. Apparently 'up to' 30% off

Looking at their prices I think they might not understand what a bargain or sale price actually is. GWR Dynamics HST car over £70, when £40 new elsewhere?

hmmm

Peter C

Established Member
Hattons 2nd hand sale started today. Apparently 'up to' 30% off

Looking at their prices I think they might not understand what a bargain or sale price actually is. GWR Dynamics HST car over £70, when £40 new elsewhere?

hmmm
And this...
1651250279074.png

Hornby R30069-PO06 Class 66/7 66731 "Captain Tom Moore - A True British Inspiration" in GBRf / NHS commemorative livery - Limited Edition of 3000 - Pre-owned - DCC Fitted - Very good box​

£180 BARGAIN was £225

These models were £75 when they came out. It might be DCC fitted but I'm not sure I'd have thought my TTS-fitted example was worth anything like £180, let alone £225!

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Hattons are in rip off territory on 2nd hand, Rails on eBay are much cheaper.

They are selling NR wagons at nearly double their own new price, just because they are the older out of stock model.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hattons are in rip off territory on 2nd hand, Rails on eBay are much cheaper.

They are selling NR wagons at nearly double their own new price, just because they are the older out of stock model.

Yes I got the email too and I can’t say I was particularly tempted at the prices they were asking.

Iskra

Established Member
The best place I've found for genuine 2nd hard good-prices is a website called clark railworks, but the good stuff tends to go quite quickly so you have to check frequently. They only seem to sell better condition stuff and it all comes with a mechanical warranty. Rails and Hattons pre-owned sections are often comical.

RichJF

The best place I've found for genuine 2nd hard good-prices is a website called clark railworks, but the good stuff tends to go quite quickly so you have to check frequently. They only seem to sell better condition stuff and it all comes with a mechanical warranty. Rails and Hattons pre-owned sections are often comical.
Interesting. I've had nothing but negative experiences with Clark Railworks.

Bought a Hornby diesel Sentinel that was described as excellent & great runner - totally untrue & got a refund.
Also bought an HO switcher that was listed as analogue & good runner - again untrue & turned out it had a DCC chip & the gears were filled with some sort of transparent gloop. Had to fight tooth & nail to get a refund for this.

Iskra

Established Member
Interesting. I've had nothing but negative experiences with Clark Railworks.

Bought a Hornby diesel Sentinel that was described as excellent & great runner - totally untrue & got a refund.
Also bought an HO switcher that was listed as analogue & good runner - again untrue & turned out it had a DCC chip & the gears were filled with some sort of transparent gloop. Had to fight tooth & nail to get a refund for this.
That's interesting, I've bought double figure of loco's from there and the only minor annoyance was one that was described as mint had one missing coupling which looked like the photo was done deliberately to hide it, but obviously it was a quick fix so I just sorted it. Everything else has been really good and bought at a good price.

Iskra

Established Member
The Model Centre have a up to 50% Sale, with an extra 10% using code 'SUMMER.'

Includes new Bachmann 47's, 90's, 24's and a lot more

Iskra

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.