• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Modelling Prussian railways in H0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allegheny1600

Hi All,
Progress on my layout "Irgendwo" (somewhere!) has been glacially slow I'm afraid.
Mum-in-law being terminally ill, dad-in-law not much better, business steady and helping out with my club - all contribute and take their toll.
However, I'm finally making progress on rolling stock, may I introduce certain items on here?

I've recently completed a large amount of horse trading with an old friend that sees me acquire much of his Prussian stock in exchange for my Bavarian stock, not to mention some reading matter. Here is my 'new' Trix T3 along with some Fleischmann coaches;

35940431332_99eb68db16_c.jpg

35301192183_1a853c97a7_c.jpg

CC my very good friend Doug and seen on his layout, Alte Rinkham.
Apparently, the T3 originated between 1881 and 1910 and on the Prussian railways, they numbered some 1345 examples in total. This particular version (431 examples) was built between 1895 and 1905, the Fleischmann version (which I also have!) only numbered 52 copies. There are only some quite minor differences between the two types, mainly around the water tank.
This loco should be capable of hauling a good 36 axles on the flat, this one may need some attention as it seemed distressed at pulling more than 10 axles and very little up Dougies 3% slopes! It squealed at trying such a grade so was hurriedly assigned to a flat route.
Despite that, I am very pleased with it although I have read that it's rigid chassis causes hesitation, it ran smoothly enough, only baulking at occasional dirty spots which were soon rectified.
Hopefully, I can show more items as time goes on?
Cheers,
John.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Allegheny1600

Hi All,
Now that summer is finally over, I hope to start making some progress with this, along with other projects to come.
I have done very little with this layout since my last post but a couple of important things have happened.
I have managed to clear all the junk from on top of the layout that had imperceptibly built up over time. It is amazing how one just places something with the intention of sorting it later, then something else and before you know it, the layout is invisible and it has become merely a storage shelf, well no more!
A bit more messing with the track layout and I shall start glueing.
Also, I realised that "Irgendwo" (somewhere) is rather too common a name for me, I wanted something different. This fact was hammered home at the recent(ish) ERA show at Edgbaston where there were at least two other 'Irgendwo's.
So! What to call this layout?
Trawls of the internet proved inconclusive and studies of online maps became brain numbing, then it dawned on me. A colleague had suggested that I place a statue outside my station of Fieldmarshall Blucher as he was instrumental in helping to defeat the French at Waterloo. Reading up on him, what a fascinating character he was. I've still not located a suitable figure of him to be my statue but I could pay tribute in another way.
Therefore, my new name for the layout is Leberecht!
As in Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher.
I think it sounds promising, how about you guys?
Cheers,
John.

Allegheny1600

Here are two of my all-time favourite locos;

37475652444_f2b8b0b5f1_c.jpg

Weinert T9.3

24333755438_688a47c29e_c.jpg

Weinert T13

Both pictured rather incongruously on my American layout, in lieu of Leberecht being very unphotogenic.

I must admit - these are both ready to run items, not built by me but by the factory! I dearly wish I could claim that I have built them but no, I am not that good a modeller!
The T13 I won on German ebay after I had been selling off my American 0 scale brass(!), which was how I could afford it. Now, I did do some modelling with this one as when I got hold of it, it was seized up having been presumably sat in a display case for several years. I stripped it down, cleaned and degreased it and re-lubricated it and when it was working well, I digitized it - it is still a little noisy but runs very well.
The T9.3 I won at an actual auction for a fair price, it also came with a 'free' Weinert V65! This runs well enough but still needs digitising and as a mate said, could do with its lights making working.
Funnily enough, I also have two Fleischmann T9.3's and one Trix T13 - these will be for exhibition use as no way would I take the Weinerts to a show.
So, I am a bit of a chequebook modeller but only when it suits me - the Trix T13, in particular, is a far cry from the Weinert one.
Cheers,
John.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Very nice John. Nice bit of ballasting on the American layout too...

Allegheny1600

Thanks, mate!
I need to make the ballasting a lot less 'mainline' this time around, to represent a nebenbahn (branch line).
Cheers,
John.

Status
Not open for further replies.