• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Modelling Rio Grande / Southern Pacific merger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
OK, I know this is a UK rail forum but it would be good to hear from any member who models the D&RGW and SP. I was smitten after a steam-hauled trip across the 10,015ft Cumbres Pass a few years ago. I just wish I'd experienced Tennessee Pass before it was mothballed.

If you do model the D&RGW - preferably during the time of the SP merger - then I'd love to hear where you source your roster from. Mine is mostly via eBay US-based sellers, though I also use online hobby stores.

I've just taken delivery of the gorgeous Genesis GP38-2 in SP spec. The detail is truly phenomenal. My current HO roster is a mix of Geeps, Tunnel Motors and SD45s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NightStar

I am a US railfan and am I huge fan of the SP and D&RGW Tennessee Pass. Matter of fact the Royal Gorge is my favorite mountain route period. I model in HO. My roster is comprised of what ever I could get from different sources cheap. Mostly Athearn and the like. I have come to the conculsion that model railroading is a rich man's game these days. Bloody hell has the cost of the locomotives gone sky high. A good diesel can run over $300 now. And the cars are not much better in price. I was looking at some of the newer freight cars and they are $35-40 a piece for the well detailed cars in my area.

But pick up a copy of Model Railroader Magazine. Really good source for US model railroading stuff.

Robert

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Thanks for posting, Robert. I use some of the online US model railroading fora and I'll look into Model Railroader mag, too.

Yes, the big downside is the cost - especially when every freight train, even when scaled down to 50% of real length - is around 50 bogie-cars... I have the coal and grain rakes complete; RailBlazer TOFC and manifest still to do.

However, I picked up a mint Proto SD50 on eBay UK for a bargain; GP40s, Tunnel Motors and SD45s new and via eBay US shops, about £100 apiece with international shipping and Customs Duty added. Genesis's new GP38-2 (it's a beauty) was the most expensive of the lot - about £150 all in.

But the level of detail and pulling-power on Atlas's Master Series / Athearn's Genesis locos is, in my view, far superior to even the newest UK tooling.

Happy railroading!

NightStar

In my opinion the problem regarding cost has to with the demand for higher realism. The more fine details the more cost for the tooling. Then add the DCC boards and the sound decoders and the like and you end up paying through the nose.

Pick up a copy if you can find them on ebay? Machines Of Iron

Tennessee Pass Vol 1,2.3

Royal Gorge Route

Moffat Tunnel Route

The Union Pacific in the Blue Mountains DVD from Machines of Iron is a good program as well. I also reconmend UP Sherman Hill.

I have some of them on VHS and watch the programs over and over. I just love the Royal Gorge!

Trains Magazine did a very nice piece on the Royal Gorge a few years ago as well. I cannot remember the issue? But a look through the back issues of trains might reveal which one it was? If I find which one it was I will post it for you.

In my honest opinion the following are the best HO locos.

Athearn

Atlas

Spectrum

Rapido

Kadee

There are several, but those are the ones I like. Atlas has the smoothest running models and are worth every penny as they have never given any trouble. Athearn has the older what was known as the Blue Box line before they merged with Horizon Hobbies and I have had issues with the gear boxes and the motors. The biggest thing was the amperes the motors drew. Only three units could be used on a 2 amp DC circuit because they often overloaded the transformer. Was a real pain. The new Athearn models are super. They are very much improved and are also good runners. The heavy counter weights mean you can pull lots of cars which I often do.

Robert

Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Thanks for all that useful information, Robert -appreciated. I came into the railroading scene just as the Master Series and Genesis products were being released and so I didn't get any Athearn Blue Box locos. Ditto for the old Roco-powered Atlas Geeps. I still see them sell on eBay, so they must have been cutting edge when they first came out.

I have Machines of Iron 'Royal Gorge Route' and Railway Productions 'Tennessee Pass' Sat by the DVD player. I'll keep an eye out for the other titles you mentioned. I bought a copy of the seminal book 'Rio Grande, Scenic Line of the west' - an awesome publication.

Last edited:

Waiting in some far corner of the country for a 37
I have quite a large collection of DRGW HO locos. I model just a generic western railway mainly Rio Grade, Canadian Pacific and BC Rail tho. I got into the Rio Grande first after a holiday to Colorado 2000 sadly 3 years after the Tennessee Pass closed.

Alot of my models have been bought in the US where they are significantly cheaper. Having been modelling the American HO for a long time I have a large selection of rolling stock from when an Athearn freight car was around $5/£5 but these days there about 3 times that. I also keep an eye on eBay regularly for any interesting bargains.

Quite a few American hobby shops do discount stuff quite a bit so even with postage/customs there still probably cheaper than in the UK.
http://www.caboosehobbies.com/ Generally discount at least 25-33% off the retail price

Attached are a few photos of some of my DRGW/SP models from about two year ago I've since improved the scenery a bit

Attachments

• IMG_1470b1024.jpg
    IMG_1470b1024.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1764b1024.jpg
    IMG_1764b1024.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Nice layout there, Jonathan. It captures the ruggedness of the Moffat subdivision. My roster is packed up in boxes, due to my moving to another part of the UK, late in 2012.

Is that an Atlas Master Series SP Geep? The GP40M-2 is still on my 'required' list; I will use the customising parts from Cannon, Detail Associates and Details West.

Funny you mentioned Caboose Hobbies - that's where I recently bought my Geep 38-2 in SP pack. Lovely model. I also regularly use ModelTrainStuff and InternetHobbies - their prices are pretty competitive too.

Happy railroading.

Waiting in some far corner of the country for a 37
Nice layout there, Jonathan. It captures the ruggedness of the Moffat subdivision. My roster is packed up in boxes, due to my moving to another part of the UK, late in 2012.

Is that an Atlas Master Series SP Geep? The GP40M-2 is still on my 'required' list; I will use the customising parts from Cannon, Detail Associates and Details West.

Funny you mentioned Caboose Hobbies - that's where I recently bought my Geep 38-2 in SP pack. Lovely model. I also regularly use ModelTrainStuff and InternetHobbies - their prices are pretty competitive too.

Happy railroading.

Thanks thats the only part of the layout which is based on anywhere in particular.

The SP Geep is an old Atheran model which was bought second hand weathered and detailed a while ago.

The new GP38-2 model does look nice. I'll probably get a couple of CP ones when Athearn getting round to do one....

Status
Not open for further replies.