• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Modern buses that have been scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I thought this might be an interesting thread.

What modern buses are there that have been scrapped after just a few years or even a few months in service? Here's some I can think of:

National Express West Midlands Dennis Trident 4336 (BX 02 AUK) was the first Trident in the NXWM fleet to be destroyed by a fire. It burst into flames on the A45 in April 2011 whilst working the 900 from Coventry to Birmingham.

Western Greyhound Enviro 400s 401 (WK 58 EAA) and 402 (WK 58 EAC) were both destroyed in the Summercourt Fire of May 2013.

Arriva London ALX400 DLA284 (Y 484 UGC) was destroyed by fire in Tottenham during the August 2011 London riots (picture here of the damage).

Any other modern buses destroyed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
There was a national express coach caught fire at Gatwick airport about 6 weeks ago. Guessing that would be a fairly new vehicle
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Western Greyhound Enviro 400s 401 (WK 58 EAA) and 402 (WK 58 EAC) were both destroyed in the Summercourt Fire of May 2013.

There was also some 11 plate Solos destroyed I believe? and 4 08 plate Citaros

BestWestern

Established Member
Loads and loads, you'd be amazed how many newish buses catch fire or are written off after accidents etc. Same principle as a car, if it's not worth repairing it gets the chop.

Ex Irish Volvo/Wright bendybuses are currently being broken in the UK for spares I believe, not worth selling due to a lack of buyer interest and worth more as bits. I understand that exactly the same fate awaits most of First's ill-fated similar Barbie bendies; again, nobody wants them - unless the Maltese authorities do an exachange for their rather flame-prone ex London Citaro bendyBBQs, which are currently all parked up following several fires!

Which brings us nicely onto the various Citaro bendies which never made it as far as Malta, having burnt themselves out while in London service. I have no fleet details but there were several.

NatEx had a couple of nasty smashes a few years back, a Trathens Skyliner flipped over mid-journey (with fatalities I seem to recall), followed shortly afterwards by an Irizar PB Scania which bounced off a kerb onto its side on a tight bend leaving a motorway. I would imagine that both were written off.

Back to Ireland, a bus in (possibly) Dublin (yellow and dark blue, or is that Belfast?! Sorry!) was totalled by one of the city's trams a few years ago after running straight into its path. Driver was charged I think, possibly ran a light.

A similar thing claimed a then-new Barbie Dart a good few years back after the driver drove onto a level crossing before the traffic moved the other side. Barriers came down and along came, I think, a SWT 455 and flattened it.

Lots of London prangs, particularly low bridges although some of those probably get a second lease of life and a shiny new roof. If you search on Flickr there are quite a few images from these sorry situations.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Lots of London prangs, particularly low bridges although some of those probably get a second lease of life and a shiny new roof. If you search on Flickr there are quite a few images from these sorry situations.

All the bridge strikers down here seem to become open toppers L637SEU the most recent. See links for before, during and after its bridge strike

before

During

After

Established Member
Two of Lothian's Pointers were destroyed by fire in separate incidents a few years apart - 69 (SK52 OJO) and 75 (SK52 OJV). Only 75 was replaced, which is why it's now 53 plate bus.

There was also a Scania written off after a fire last year (989, SK57 DBU).

richw

Veteran Member

danielnez1

Were they the ridiculously expensive electric ones?

What was wrong with them to be scrapped so young?

I don't think they were any good. I can remember every summer when they were in service there would be plumes of black smoke coming out of their exhausts.

richw

Veteran Member
I don't think they were any good. I can remember every summer when they were in service there would be plumes of black smoke coming out of their exhausts.

The black smoke is interesting as I understood they were 100% electric, so shouldn't have any emissions. I may have been thinking of another set of buses though.

Tramfan

The black smoke is interesting as I understood they were 100% electric, so shouldn't have any emissions. I may have been thinking of another set of buses though.

I think they were hybrid electrics, and someone did once explain what caused the black smoke, but I can't remember now. I do know that it was a very regular occurrence though.

Apparently they struggled with the hills on the Quaylink route they operated, were very unreliable, and although a few saw sporadic use on another route after Go North East got the Quaylink service, they were sold off soon after.

richw

Veteran Member
I think they were hybrid electrics, and someone did once explain what caused the black smoke, but I can't remember now. I do know that it was a very regular occurrence though.

Apparently they struggled with the hills on the Quaylink route they operated, were very unreliable, and although a few saw sporadic use on another route after Go North East got the Quaylink service, they were sold off soon after.

Inability to get up hills is the reason given for their withdrawal. I've also found the manufacturer has now gone bankrupt.

mbonwick

Established Member
They were to be sold to an American company (NEXGen power IIRC) and converted to all-electric, but the costs got out of control and now they're for scrap.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Viewing those pictures of the FirstGroup scrapyard does give you a sense that time has moved on. I grew up with R-reg Darts and late-model Olympians, so to see the buses that I've travelled on since I was young and they were new being cut up is a bit sad.

I think First Eastern Counties had a batch of V-reg Dart MPDs, V356-363DVG, and the last three of the batch all went up in flames when someone set fire to Bury St Edmunds depot in 2003.

DunsBus

Established Member
Two of Lothian's Pointers were destroyed by fire in separate incidents a few years apart - 69 (SK52 OJO) and 75 (SK52 OJV). Only 75 was replaced, which is why it's now 53 plate bus.

There was also a Scania written off after a fire last year (989, SK57 DBU).

The original Dart 75 was only 6 months old when it was destroyed by fire, which is why it was replaced. I don't think Lothian got the replacement bus for free though - they had to pay for it and send the bill to the insurance company for them to sort out.

Going back a bit Lothian's first Olympian, 666 (GSC666X) had its top deck burnt out as a result of vandalism in September 1987 when the bus was only 5.5 years old. Despite its relative youth the extent of the damage was too great to economically repair and it was used for spares before being scrapped. The front end lives on today having been grafted on to sister bus 667 in 1988 after it sustained front-end damage in an RTA.

Atlantean 570 (YSF570S) had its rear damaged after being hit square-on by an SMT FLF at Liberton when still quite new. Although repaired, it left that part of the chassis 'soft' - that is, strong enough to house the powerpack and drivetrain, but not strong enough to withstand another rear-end impact. In 1991 it was hit from behind again, this time on Corstorphine Road, by Atlantean 449 (GFS449N) and the impact caused that part of the chassis to fold and send 570's engine, gearbox and flywheel into the lower saloon. This result was that both buses were written off.

Others I can remember are:

Edinburgh Corporation - Tiger Cubs 9 and 22, both from the first (SWS) batch and new in 1959, were lost in the same year, 1963; 9 after it ran into a shop in Leith, 22 after it crashed through the railings on Regent Road and rolled down an incline.

First Edinburgh - Optare Prisma 74 (P174DMS) and Scania 586 (R586YMS) were both lost within several months of each other in 2002. The Prisma was destroyed after catching fire at Mosspaul while on a service X95 journey from Carlisle to Galashiels while the Scania was stolen from North Berwick depot by joyriders, who then set fire to the bus after it got stuck on a bend during the joyride.

Busways Travel Services - Olympian 607 (C607LFT), new in January 1986, was written off in October that year after being involved in a fatal RTA with a lorry which killed three passengers and claimed the life of the bus's driver a few days later.

Tyne & Wear PTE - Atlantean 120 (EJR120W) which was hit by a Metrocar at Brunton Lane level crossing in March 1983. While the Metrocar was repaired, the Atlantean suffered terminal chassis damage and needless to say saw no further service.

Strathclyde's Buses - all-Leyland Olympian LO47 (J136FYS), new in August 1991, which was a victim of the Larkfield depot fire in May 1992.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45726467@N02/sets/72157623989487494/ this flickr group is dedicated to scrapped buses. 450 photos and some are fairly new

Apologies the link I meant to share with numerous newer buses was http://www.flickr.com/groups/395450@N20/pool/with/4613428678/

Sorry but the record probably goes to the 1976 Trent depot fire at Derby. There were two Atlanteans that had been delivered and were burnt out without seeing service.

For the shortest service career, then Leyland National 3102 LUP902T of United's Durham depot managed two days' service before the 1979 depot claimed that one.

Other more recent ones have been Arriva North East's Temsa Avenues, of which one was lost in an accident and two by fire, all in two years. They gained the nickname "Turkish Alights"

Established Member
The original Dart 75 was only 6 months old when it was destroyed by fire, which is why it was replaced. I don't think Lothian got the replacement bus for free though - they had to pay for it and send the bill to the insurance company for them to sort out.

I knew about 75 being destroyed in 2003, but do you know when the fire on 69 happened?

richw

Veteran Member
I knew about 75 being destroyed in 2003, but do you know when the fire on 69 happened?

It was around 4-5 years ago I believe, the fire was started within the electrical looms. She spent 12 months or so at Seafiled Enginering Works before being scrapped.

DunsBus

Established Member
Lothian lost a Trident in 2008 after it was involved in an accident on the former guided busway. The unfortunate bus was the original 619 (SN51AYC) which ended up sandwiched between two Volvo B7RLEs. The Volvos were repaired, although one of them needed a new front end and while repair work did initially start on 619 including a conversion to single-door, it was aborted shortly afterwards and the bus scrapped.

Volvo Olympian 215 (M-VSX) was very nearly lost as a result of an electrical fire in the cab during 2002 but was repaired and eventually returned to service. A few years later sister 970 (L-MSC) had a similar cab fire but it was not repaired, being dismantled at Seafield shortly afterwards.

Moving south I seem to remember one of London's B20 Fleetlines (DMS2348, THX348S) catching fire after only a few months in service but which was not scrapped until 1983 - some five years after it had been damaged.

You can see why the Atlantean never ran again - the chassis was distorted thus rendering any repairs totally out of the question. Fortunately the bus was empty at the time.

The accident was caused by 120's driver ignoring the warning signals at the crossing and driving on to it at speed just as the Metrocar was approaching. This had been noticed by several witnesses; he was subsequently prosecuted.
Loads and loads, you'd be amazed how many newish buses catch fire or are written off after accidents etc. Same principle as a car, if it's not worth repairing it gets the chop.

Ex Irish Volvo/Wright bendybuses are currently being broken in the UK for spares I believe, not worth selling due to a lack of buyer interest and worth more as bits. I understand that exactly the same fate awaits most of First's ill-fated similar Barbie bendies; again, nobody wants them - unless the Maltese authorities do an exachange for their rather flame-prone ex London Citaro bendyBBQs, which are currently all parked up following several fires!

Which brings us nicely onto the various Citaro bendies which never made it as far as Malta, having burnt themselves out while in London service. I have no fleet details but there were several.

NatEx had a couple of nasty smashes a few years back, a Trathens Skyliner flipped over mid-journey (with fatalities I seem to recall), followed shortly afterwards by an Irizar PB Scania which bounced off a kerb onto its side on a tight bend leaving a motorway. I would imagine that both were written off.

Back to Ireland, a bus in (possibly) Dublin (yellow and dark blue, or is that Belfast?! Sorry!) was totalled by one of the city's trams a few years ago after running straight into its path. Driver was charged I think, possibly ran a light.

A similar thing claimed a then-new Barbie Dart a good few years back after the driver drove onto a level crossing before the traffic moved the other side. Barriers came down and along came, I think, a SWT 455 and flattened it.

If we can include coaches in this, I've already mentioned the case on another thread of the Ribble Neoplan Skyliner/Plaxton which went up in flames on the M6 on its second day in service, the cause being a rivet which had been put through a fuel line during construction. Other ones I can remember include:

- Eastern Scottish single-decker Metroliner XCM334 (A334BSC), involved in the tragic M6 pile-up in October 1985 which claimed 13 lives.

- United 150 (A111KBA), another Metroliner but this time a double-deck version. This one met its end during the summer of 1985 when it overturned on the A1(M) in Co Durham after its driver swerved to avoid a sheep which had run on to the carriageway, killing one passenger.

- United Bova 1211 (B211PDC), burnt-out in early 1986 when just under a year old. It had been booked off a NatEx Rapide diagram due to binding brakes and was on its way back to base when the brakes overheated and set fire to the vehicle. The Bova was the only casualty as its passengers had already been transferred to another service.

- Excelsior Quest WM/Plaxton A823LEL. New in May 1984 and on the scrapheap by the end of the following month after just six weeks' use, a result of catching fire on the A3 while working a hire to Alton Towers.

Last edited:

Established Member
Lothian lost a Trident in 2008 after it was involved in an accident on the former guided busway. The unfortunate bus was the original 619 (SN51AYC) which ended up sandwiched between two Volvo B7RLEs. The Volvos were repaired, although one of them needed a new front end and while repair work did initially start on 619 including a conversion to single-door, it was aborted shortly afterwards and the bus scrapped.

The Volvo with the new front end is 104 - you can tell by the LED sidelight and indicator clusters on the front.

DunsBus

Established Member
The Volvo with the new front end is 104 - you can tell by the LED sidelight and indicator clusters on the front.

That's right - I remember Lothian had to buy in 104's replacement front end from Wrightbus.

A few more that I've just remembered:

Lothian Leyland Cub/Duple 167 (HSC167X) was written off in 1986 after being taken out by a fire engine whoch was answering a 999 call. The bus was empty at the time although its driver sustained serious injuries.
A few years later in 1990 sister Cub 162 (HSC162X) was burnt out after a driver taking it from Marine Garage to Leith Links for a driver changeover failed to notice that the bus's offside front tyre was flat and set off. The resultant heat from the wheel set fire to the fibreglass wheelarch which in turn set fire to the bus. Despite numerous attempts by oncoming drivers to alert the Cub's driver to what was happening, he pressed on regardless and only sussed out what had happened when the bus ground to a halt a few hundred yards from his changeover after the fuel line melted.

SMT lost three Ailsas from the same batch (VV76-95), all to fire. First to go was VV79 (HSF79X) which went up in flames in 1986. Next was sister VV90 (HSF90X) in June 1990, and finally VV89 (HSF89X) in June 1993. All three buses were based at Dalkeith when they met their fiery ends and the losses of VV90 and VV89 are notable as they were both burnt out on the same date - 16th June - three years apart. I wonder what the odds on that happening must have been.

Last edited:

BestWestern

Established Member
One of First Provincial Hilsea depot's Iveco Turbodaily minibuses met an unfortunate fate on the A27 sometime around 2004/5. Having stopped or slowed for heavy traffic it was rear ended at speed by an HGV, the impact stoved in the back end and subtanially bent the whole bus. Stangely, this all took place on a motorway flyover overlooking the depot.

Last edited:

Titfield

Established Member
I am not sure if this sets the record.

Bournemouth Corporation Trolleybus Chassis Number TFD80199 Body Number Wn M9517 ordered in 1962 was destroyed by fire whilst being bodied by Weymans.

It was not replaced thus of the order for 10 only 9 were delivered and entered service!

DunsBus

Established Member
I am not sure if this sets the record.

Bournemouth Corporation Trolleybus Chassis Number TFD80199 Body Number Wn M9517 ordered in 1962 was destroyed by fire whilst being bodied by Weymans.

It was not replaced thus of the order for 10 only 9 were delivered and entered service!

There was also the ten Stockport Bristol VR/East Lancs which had been completed and awaiting delivery when they were all wiped out by a fire at the East Lancs coachworks in April 1970; they didn't even make it as far as the delivery run.

I'm pretty sure several mishaps befell the CIE and Dublin Bus Bombardier KC and KD classes both during construction and in their early years.

EDIT: my hunch was right. Double-deck KD111 was lost in 1982, just a few momths after entering service, after it was involved in an RTA. An extra vehicle, KD366, was added on to the end of the order as its replacement.
Brand new single-deck KC124 was written off in 1984 while parked outside the GAC factory after a runaway Shannon Airport fire tender ran into its rear offside; it was not replaced.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.