• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Modern buses that have missed preservation

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustySpoons

By modern, I'm meaning anything low floor.

I know there are a few Darts with in preservation, as well as Solos, Excels, etc. Even at least one ALX200 bodied B6LE - possibly the only one left running now, as I doubt there are any still in service now. Which got me thinking, are there any low floor buses that are gone altogether now?

Got me thinking of the Optare Alero, which appeared to be slightly ahead of its time. I don't think there are any in service anymore, and I don't recall ever hearing of any making preservation. I believe there is/was an early one operating on private land and was never registered for the road.

There's an ALX300 bodied MAN preserved (T728 OEF), but are there any B10BLEs or DAFs with the same bodywork preserved?

Then there's the DAF SB220s with the good looking Ikarus Polaris 489 bodywork. They were never that popular, and a believe all went to smaller independent operators, the majority seeing out their lives in public service with Arriva after they got them from the Blue Bus buyout.

TL : DR - are there any low floor buses that have seen public service that have missed preservation and now no longer exist?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I haven’t updated the attachment with a newer version, but below is a link to an older version my list of all preserved low floor buses, which I’m still updating. I’ll post an updated version in the future.
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/listing-all-preserved-low-floor-buses.188262/

Most bus types have been saved, some rather new ones already saved too. The MAN 14.240/E200 has recently gained that status, though not at the time of that listing.
I believe you’re right in saying that no Volvo B10BLE/ALX300s have been preserved, a DAF version was rumoured to have done so on a Flickr photo a few years ago but no idea what happened to it.

I’m aware of an Alero in the South Birmingham area in Non-PSV use, which is parked on a house drive. I don’t think any are preserved

awsnews

Quite a few Optare Aleros around in use as "party buses", there are currently two for sale on Ebay.
I suspect that none of the Ikarus bodied MANs have survived, other possibilities could be;
Marshall Minibus
Berkhof bodied Dennis Lance (possibly any Dennis Lance SLF)
Neoplan N416
The Designlines used by Busways
UVG bodied Dart SLF
I have no doubt there are others

RustySpoons

Never seen the Ikarus 489 bodywork looks good for a bis of its age, glad one is definitely saved and back in its home country.

https://hungarytoday.hu/last-bus-st...ris-designed-hungary-returned-hometown-48221/

I'm quietly chuffed about that. Although they do look better with the original headlights...

https://flic.kr/p/8uEXwg

Just thought of another unicorn, the Bluebird LMB with a Plaxton Pointer body. Extremely unreliable by all accounts and has gone for scrap.

Alexbus12

B10LAs... Wasn't one of the first ones in the Manchester fleet offered to the Museum of Transport in Manchester but they refused because at the time it wasn't an 'old' bus? Assume space had something to do with it too.

SteveyBee131

B10LAs... Wasn't one of the first ones in the Manchester fleet offered to the Museum of Transport in Manchester but they refused because at the time it wasn't an 'old' bus? Assume space had something to do with it too.
And how about their futuristic cousins the ftr? Not seen or heard anything of the white elephants for a long time.

ACBest

I’m not aware of any ELC Spryte bodied Darts having been preserved - a particular disappointment locally, with them being Lincolnshire RoadCar’s first low floor vehicles.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
I’m aware of an Alero in the South Birmingham area in Non-PSV use, which is parked on a house drive. I don’t think any are preserved

In my view that could be regarded as preserved despite it being non PSV use, providing that it still has the original parts and nothing on it has been changed.

delt1c

Established Member
Does anyone remember the coaches that were rebuilt as double deckers for Grey Green when they won the LT contracts. Do any remain? Remember they had an unusual wheel base

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The Volvo B10LA / Wright Fusion is the main one that springs to mind for me, perhaps due to the fact i was on the last one (10044) in it's last day of service. Sadly when approached First at the time were asking over £15K for them despite the fact that they were non-PSVAR compliant and 16+ years old at the time.

And how about their futuristic cousins the ftr? Not seen or heard anything of the white elephants for a long time.

19000 is allegedly preserved, albeit it's pretty low key i understand.

Alexbus12

The Volvo B10LA / Wright Fusion is the main one that springs to mind for me, perhaps due to the fact i was on the last one (10044) in it's last day of service. Sadly when approached First at the time were asking over £15K for them despite the fact that they were non-PSVAR compliant and 16+ years old at the time.

It's disappointing, I bet the scrap man didn't give them 15k for it.. First have always seemed awkward in regards to preserving a bendy bus. When the Manchester Scanias were withdrawn they initially wanted something like 25k for one. I think that number crept down though as the months passed until all but one went to scrap.. shame

gka472l

I’m not aware of any ELC Spryte bodied Darts having been preserved - a particular disappointment locally, with them being Lincolnshire RoadCar’s first low floor vehicles.

There's one preserved at the NWVRT up here in Liverpool, visible behind this ex Stagecoach B10BLE, it's one of the P454-61DCW batch....pic taken 5/1/20

Attachments

• Stagecoach 21116 W465CRN NWVRT, Kirkby 5 January 2020.JPG
    Stagecoach 21116 W465CRN NWVRT, Kirkby 5 January 2020.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 75

alex397

Established Member

One of them is still in service with Go-Ahead London on the route 888 shuttle from Luton Airport Parkway Station and the airport. Ideal for that route, as all ticket checks are made before passengers board the bus.

I've got 2 to add that so far I've not noticed:

East lancs 2000 bodied darts, arriva NW had loads. Brilliant buses, quite nippy as well.

Marshall capital bodied dennis darts.

I'm sure there's probably some knocking about but did anyone ever think a leyland lynx worthy of saving?

carlberry

Established Member
I've got 2 to add that so far I've not noticed:

East lancs 2000 bodied darts, arriva NW had loads. Brilliant buses, quite nippy as well.

Marshall capital bodied dennis darts.

I'm sure there's probably some knocking about but did anyone ever think a leyland lynx worthy of saving?
Theres quite a few, one of the early ones had quite a bit of work done on it so should be around for a while:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/85000178@N05/10858730683/

Temple Meads

Established Member
If I read the table correctly, a maximum of 200 Aleros were around in 2009, and currently 139 are still around!! (taxed and Sorned). Unbelievable Jeff!

There is one usually parked up in a residential street in Tiverton. Not sure of current use but would assume personal transport or camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.