• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Modernisation Plan - Cabinet Papers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLBH

In a continuation of my efforts to figure out what was going through the minds of British Railways management before Beeching, I've discovered the following BTC memorandum on their financial position from 1956 - which, understandably, puts a lot of attention onto the railways and the Modernisation Plan.

http://filestore.nationalarchives.gov.uk/pdfs/small/cab-129-83-cp-56-211-11.pdf

Commuter rail services into major conurbations were seen as expensive to provide, but necessary, whilst long-distance services were profitable and car-sleeper services seen as a sign of the future.
Rural and 'feeder' rail services often uneconomic; if more modern ways of working could not make them so, they should be replaced by bus services. In this respect, Beeching was not at all radical! Closures amounting to 2,044 route miles - a little over 10% of the total mileage - since 1948 were noted, with the process expected to be accelerated.

Whilst road transport was seen as more economic for much merchandise traffic, a role for rail was seen, with fully-braked wagons and containerisation seen as necessary to allow 60mph running and reduction in transhipment costs. Little-used goods stations were to be closed and work concentrated in larger depots which could justify regular express goods trains and mechanical handling equipment. Again, definite shades of Beeching here. Looking at the figures, virtually all goods wagons were to be fitted with vacuum brakes, and roller bearings fitted to 150,000 16-ton mineral wagons to allow high speed running.

The intention was to enable average speeds of 75mph on long-distance main line passenger services, not achieved even today on many routes and comparable to the SNCF goal of an average speed of 130 kph (81 mph) to compete with the private car.

As well as relief from 'standard charges' brought about by common-carrier status, the BTC was also seeking relief from other statutory requirements, for example maintaining the road surface on overbridges and broader permission to install unmanned level crossings.

After 1961 (i.e. after completion of the evaluation of the Pilot Scheme diesel locomotives) series production of about 200 diesel locomotives and 200 electric locomotives a year was anticipated. Interestingly, the proposed schedule for electrification was kept to pretty closely, even being beaten in some places (Kent Coast Phase 2, for instance, was completed 6 months ahead of the 1956 schedule). Had it not been cut back on financial grounds, the wires would have reached Ipswich, Harwich and Felixstowe in 1965, and Leeds and York in 1970. Work on the Modernisation Plan's electrification schemes was expected to start declining in 1962, freeing up capacity for follow-on schemes which were being considered.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

coppercapped

Established Member
Thank you for that find - a valuable contribution to the eternal debate about 'where did it all go wrong?'. I've downloaded the file and I'll now have to find a couple of hours to really study it!

A first impression is that the the commercial issues facing the railways had been identified - although from the level of detail given in the document it appears to me that they had not yet been quantified except at a very high level.

The detail about the building programmes is fascinating - from the numbers it would seem that steam was expected to last until the early 1970s at least.

If you find any more nuggets like this, please post!

RLBH

A first impression is that the the commercial issues facing the railways had been identified - although from the level of detail given in the document it appears to me that they had not yet been quantified except at a very high level.
I very much get the impression that the Beeching Report wasn't saying anything that wasn't already known to everyone in railway management. It just put numbers on to the problems so that it could be demonstrated just how bad the problem was, and therefore fiddling around the edges wasn't going to be enough. And even that wasn't news - by the 1959 reappraisal, the 'streamlining' of the railways was being accelerated considerably.
The detail about the building programmes is fascinating - from the numbers it would seem that steam was expected to last until the early 1970s at least.
It was certainly expected that there should still be 7,000 steam locomotives in service in 1970, so on those building rates they'd be around until the mid-1970s at least - and maybe even well into the 1980s! As things transpired, by 1959 it was expected that this mark would be hit in 1963, and of course steam was withdrawn entirely in 1967; again, this suggests 1977-1978 for total replacement of steam.

On that, it's worth noting that British Railways only built 2,500 steam locomotives, so 4,500 pre-nationalisation ones would still be running well into the 1970s..

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Thank you, RLBH, for finding the 'typescript' document. It is a 'proto-version' of what became the 'Proposals for the Railways' paper published as Cmd. 9880 in October 1956.

Later stages in the saga included 'An Exchange of Correspondence between The Minister of Transport and Civil Aviation and The Chairman of the British Transport Commission, September-October 1958' published as Cmnd. 585 in November 1958.

This led on to the BTC's 'Re-appraisal of the Plan for the Modernisation and Re-equipment of British Railways', published as Cmnd. 813 in July 1959. (This was 'on the desk' when Ernest Marples took over as Minister in October 1959.)

All three of these documents have been extensively used as sources in various books written about the rail industry at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.