• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Monkeypox - worth worrying about or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nw1

Established Member
Wondering about the reports of this monkeypox virus. How much of a concern is it? From what I can make out it's not nearly as contagious as Covid, so I'm hoping not much. The cases so far seem to be related to sexual contact, which is somewhat reassuring.

It sounds roughly equivalent to Omicron in terms of severity from what I can make out, i.e. most people will not be seriously ill but a small proportion will be.

What do people think? Is there a realistic chance of the same sort of measures being applied as under Covid, including travel restrictions for example? Presumably (from my own personal POV) bringing forward the date of an overseas holiday (currently scheduled for about a month from now) would be an unnecessary overreaction?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

102 fan

Wondering about the reports of this monkeypox virus. How much of a concern is it? From what I can make out it's not nearly as contagious as Covid, so I'm hoping not much.

It sounds roughly equivalent to Omicron in terms of severity from what I can make out, i.e. most people will not be seriously ill but a small proportion will be.

What do people think? Is there a realistic chance of the same sort of measures being applied as under Covid, including travel restrictions for example? Presumably (from my own personal POV) bringing forward the date of an overseas holiday (currently scheduled for about a month from now) would be an unnecessary overreaction?

Being given exposure as second or third item on the national news has me wondering if those in authority are trying to make this the new covid. However as the lead item was a picture of the Prime Minister drinking at a No. 10 lockdown event, breaking the rules will make any attempt to reproduce the same restrictions will be an unbelievably uphill struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.