• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Moorgate Weekend Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

higthomas

I'm sure this is answered deep in the bowels of a thread somewhere so sorry for that.

But does anyone know when there are plans to improve the frequency of the weekend services from Moorgate to 4tph on each branch?

This is set out in table ECML2 in thee ITT, but I cannot work out the date that was meant to come in. (But I'm assuming there has been a massive slip)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johnny Lewis

Well it won't be from December 2019 as I understand that, once again, the Moorgate branch is to be closed again late evenings and weekends, with services diverted into and out of London King's Cross, as used to happen until a few years ago.

Aictos

Established Member
Well it won't be from December 2019 as I understand that, once again, the Moorgate branch is to be closed again late evenings and weekends, with services diverted into and out of London King's Cross, as used to happen until a few years ago.

Indeed and that’s so the decades of dirt can be cleared from the tunnels and stations, should be able to see the difference once it’s done!

class387

Established Member
Is this officially confirmed? Would be an awful retrograde step if so.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is this officially confirmed? Would be an awful retrograde step if so.
It’s the previously planned period for the tunnel deep clean. Not a permanent change back.
Page 15 of this London Travelwatch brief mentions it:
Northern City Line tunnel cleaning Dec 2019 to May 2020
• Weekend & weeknight (from 22:00) closures of the Northern City Line between Moorgate and Finsbury Park
• Diversion of services to start/terminate at Kings Cross
• 6 Trains Per Hour diverted on weeknights
• 4 Trains Per Hour diverted on weekends
https://www.londontravelwatch.org.uk/documents/get_lob?id=4784&age=&field=file

I hope they use the opportunity to 'invest' in the platforms and subways, too. The decor and general state of things reminds me of less than stellar mens' toilets (thank God the smell isn't in keeping!)

BJames

Established Member
Hadn't heard about this but I'm glad its not permanent, the Moorgate service is really helpful on weekends. But it's definitely important for the tunnels and stations to finally get the deep clean they need.

Hadn't heard about this but I'm glad its not permanent, the Moorgate service is really helpful on weekends. But it's definitely important for the tunnels and stations to finally get the deep clean they need.
Moorgate won’t be closed every weekend during the period as the work with dovetail with the East Coast Mainline / Kings Cross works - trains can only be diverted when there is enough capacity.

Another important point is that there are no Moorgate services on Aug Bank Hol Sat / Sun this year - more info in doc on #5 above and in dedicated discussion https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/ecml-closed-pbo-to-kgx-aug-bank-holiday-routing.183750/

In the meantime the re-tiling at Moorgate and associated work is virtually finished and the first replaced escalator is now open and work has begun on the second.

Fred26

I'm sure this is answered deep in the bowels of a thread somewhere so sorry for that.

But does anyone know when there are plans to improve the frequency of the weekend services from Moorgate to 4tph on each branch?

This is set out in table ECML2 in thee ITT, but I cannot work out the date that was meant to come in. (But I'm assuming there has been a massive slip)

It came in in May 2018, but was ditched when GTR realised they couldn't fulfill the timetable. No word on when the frequency will improve.

It came in in May 2018, but was ditched when GTR realised they couldn't fulfill the timetable. No word on when the frequency will improve.
Believe it won't be until after the cleaning programme is complete, as there isn't enough capacity at Kings Cross to handle the extra trains too.

bramling

Veteran Member
Believe it won't be until after the cleaning programme is complete, as there isn't enough capacity at Kings Cross to handle the extra trains too.

They really need to focus on reliably delivering the existing service first, especially at weekends. As well as the ThamesLink/ late-running lottery, there’s also the GTR lottery as to whether one’s chosen service has a driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.