• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

More ECML woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Established Member
Newcastle station has just been closed due to flooding in the city center, as well as problems around Grantham, which I presume is due to flooding.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
Newcastle station has just been closed due to flooding in the city center, as well as problems around Grantham, which I presume is due to flooding.

Yep, signalling problems at Grantham due to flooding.

Retorus

A day isn't complete without delays on the ECML, it just wouldn't feel right without one.

stut

Established Member
A broken down FCC train near the Nidge isn't helping either...

Unlikely to be any trains between Newcastle and Edinburgh for the rest of the day due to a landslip near Berwick

stut

Established Member
Ooh, and now signal problems near Hitchin. It never rains...

tickets cant be passed on virgin because WCML is also closed south of Carlisle, give it up and travel tomorrow is the advice, tickets will be valid.

philjo

Established Member
FCC have 60 minute delays between Hitchin & Letchworth due to signalling problems but reports that the lines have now repoened.

causton

Established Member
Went from Stratford to Kings Cross today via the Britannia at Euston (where else for Bite-discounted beer? ;) ) and the Hammersmith and City and Metropolitan lines were screwed. Got to Euston and all the trains were screwed out of Euston, with just about all services having notices underneath 'Train due to form this service due in at 1901' on the 1900 for example...

...went to Kings Cross and despite all these problems all was well! Gateline left open on 9-11 though, but trains seemed to be departing on time even those bound for Letchworth and beyond - no issue travelling out of KGX back home either!

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I can believe flooding issues at Grantham.... streets were rivers when I tried to get into town today.... spilled off my bicycle after I hit a drain-cover at high speed....

It's a pity that the torch came through in the middle of all that.

tsr

Established Member
Went from Stratford to Kings Cross today via the Britannia at Euston (where else for Bite-discounted beer? ;) ) and the Hammersmith and City and Metropolitan lines were screwed. Got to Euston and all the trains were screwed out of Euston, with just about all services having notices underneath 'Train due to form this service due in at 1901' on the 1900 for example...

...went to Kings Cross and despite all these problems all was well! Gateline left open on 9-11 though, but trains seemed to be departing on time even those bound for Letchworth and beyond - no issue travelling out of KGX back home either!

If you'd been at Stratford Regional some time after 1926hrs, you'd have seen some disruption notices about signalling problems at Gidea Park, too, I reckon.

If anyone on this forum is hoping to travel north by rail York/Preston tomorrow, or south from Edinburgh/Glasgow, I do as always in such times strongly suggest you check the obvious websites (relevant TOCs, NRE etc.) before travelling. NR are getting very good at sorting out floods and landslides, but I'm pretty sure there could still be significant issues for at least part of the morning - and if not with infrastructure, certainly with rolling stock.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
.... spilled off my bicycle after I hit a drain-cover at high speed....

I hope the puddles cushioned your landing somewhat! And "spilled" - ha!

Last edited:

hooky3

will all the distruption not mean that XC and EC services from Edinburgh tomorrow morning might be cancelled as not enough units will end up at Edinburgh tonight?

Retorus

From NRE:

For Friday 29 June
The plan for Friday's services is currently being arranged, however it is likely that the following will apply:
No trains between Newcastle and Berwick-upon-Tweed - replacement buses are being arranged
A half hourly service between Newcastle and London Kings Cross
A 'shuttle' service between Berwick-upon-Tweed and Edinburgh
A 'shuttle' service between Edinburgh and Aberdeen
No East Coast services to / from Inverness (customers should use ScotRail services)

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I hope the puddles cushioned your landing somewhat! And "spilled" - ha!

It scraped a square inch of skin off my hand and wrote off the bike... and ruined my Gor-Tex raincoat :(

williamn

No buses between Newcastle and Berwick, which had seemed likely last night. Guess they couldn't source enough. Going to be a long way around for those stranded in Newcastle travelling north!

khib70

Yikes. That's not going to be fixed quickly. Amusingly, the first reply underneath on twitter (an appropriate name for this person) is to have a moan about people being stranded with their children in Newcastle. Some people's lack of intelligence never fails to surprise!

As does some peoples' lack of sensitivity!

marks87

Established Member
Yikes. That's not going to be fixed quickly. Amusingly, the first reply underneath on twitter (an appropriate name for this person) is to have a moan about people being stranded with their children in Newcastle. Some people's lack of intelligence never fails to surprise!
I'm tempted to reply with "at least it's better than leaving children trapped without their parents" :oops:

Incidentally, when was the last time Newcastle was effectively cut off from Scotland, with both routes blocked? It doesn't strike me as something that happens very often.

Ferret

Established Member
As does some peoples' lack of sensitivity!

Ah yes, so am I to assume that just because somebody is travelling with children, they should be able to spout off on twitter and demonstrate a complete lack of intelligence without being criticised?! I think it's pretty safe to say you belong in the same category as the twitter poster.:roll:

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Any chance of HST diversions via Tyne Valley to get an EC service to Scotland working again before then?

Status
Not open for further replies.