• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

More expensive by Chiltern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

route:oxford

Established Member
This Sunday, Chiltern Railways are operating a direct service from Birmingham Snow Hill to Oxford.

Interestingly the "Anytime" Fare for using this service is listed on National Rail Enquiries as £27 Single. The equivalent Anytime Single fare from Birmingham New Street is £21.

I can't think of a good reason why it costs £6 extra to travel by Chiltern.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
that £21.00 fare is an advance single route crosscountrytrainsonly just looked on crosscountry's website.

the £27.00 fare is the anytime single

bnm

Established Member
Birmingham Stations to Banbury Anytime Day Single (SDS) £14.00
Banbury to Oxford Off Peak Day Single (CDS) £4.90

Total £18.90

Available on all services on Sunday.

wibble

This Sunday, Chiltern Railways are operating a direct service from Birmingham Snow Hill to Oxford.

Interestingly the "Anytime" Fare for using this service is listed on National Rail Enquiries as £27 Single. The equivalent Anytime Single fare from Birmingham New Street is £21.

I can't think of a good reason why it costs £6 extra to travel by Chiltern.

The Anytime Single is priced by CrossCountry and is intended for travel on their direct service from Birmingham New Street.

route:oxford

Established Member
Birmingham Stations to Banbury Anytime Day Single (SDS) £14.00
Banbury to Oxford Off Peak Day Single (CDS) £4.90

Total £18.90

Available on all services on Sunday.

Thanks

I managed to do slightly better. On the 13.33 from Edinburgh to Oxford.

Edinburgh to Brum (£16.50)
Brum to Banbury (£10.50)
Banbury to Oxf (£4.90)

Will have to change seats throughout the journey, but it's a saving of over £60 on the straight-through fare.

bnm

Established Member
The Anytime Single is priced by CrossCountry and is intended for travel on their direct service from Birmingham New Street.

Not strictly true. The Anytime Single is BIRMINGHAM STNS - OXFORD and is fully inter-available with TOCs operating on the route or part thereof. Yes, its priced by CrossCountry, but it is not intended for travel with them - you are free to choose - Virgin to Coventry then CrossCountry to Oxford, London Midland to Warwick then CrossCountry (Or Chiltern during diversion) and CrossCountry all the way!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Intentions don't determine validity though. It doesn't matter what CrossCountry intend people to do.

If I can have a list of their intentions for what people do, that would be useful. I will then use it to do something different to what they intend ;)

wibble

Not strictly true. The Anytime Single is BIRMINGHAM STNS - OXFORD and is fully inter-available with TOCs operating on the route or part thereof. Yes, its priced by CrossCountry, but it is not intended for travel with them - you are free to choose - Virgin to Coventry then CrossCountry to Oxford, London Midland to Warwick then CrossCountry (Or Chiltern during diversion) and CrossCountry all the way!

Yes, I'm well aware of that, but most people would prefer to catch a direct service from Birmingham to Oxford.

Status
Not open for further replies.