• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

More expensive WITH a railcard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
My other half purchased a one-way ticket to Huddersfield this morning at the ticket machines in Leeds. With her railcard this was quoted at £12, but without it was just £5. I’m sure I’ve heard an explanation for this in the past but I can’t remember at all. Please can someone explain why this is?

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The use of 16-25 railcards before 10am is subject to a £12 minimum fare being paid. It's in the T&C agreed to when the railcard was purchased ;)

If it was any other railcard then the machine is behaving incorrectly.

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
The use 16-25 railcards before 10am is subject to a £12 minimum fare being paid. It's in the T&C agreed to when the railcard was purchased ;)

If it was any other railcard then the machine is behaving incorrectly.
Why doesn't the machine just say that the Railcard fare is £5, and is an undiscounted fare?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Why doesn't the machine just say that the Railcard fare is £5, and is an undiscounted fare?

With some Railcards there may be reasons you wish to accept the minimum fare. For example they used to give peak validity on VTWC. So it's probably sensible to allow it but with the minimum applied.

SaveECRewards

With some Railcards there may be reasons you wish to accept the minimum fare. For example they used to give peak validity on VTWC. So it's probably sensible to allow it but with the minimum applied.
That was a very specific exception are there any other reasons these days?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
If you asked at a ticket office, that is what they would tell you. The fare is £5.70, railcard or no.

The ticket machine is far less clever than this though. It still needs to offer a minimum fare ticket for cases where the full fare is £12 or more, but not more than £18. Then it's cheaper to accept the minimum fare than to not use the railcard.

That's a pretty darn good reason to offer tickets at the minimum fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.