• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

More Free Oyster

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
As well as getting paid to attend school, 16-17 year olds in education get free bus travel from September!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom B

Established Member
joea1 said:
As well as getting paid to attend school, 16-17 year olds in education get free bus travel from September!

Wonderful! I pay god knows how many hundreds of pounds to get to school because the government can't decide who should pay, and yet in London you don't have to pay sod all :mad:. And they get a 10x better service! WHY?!?!

You only actually get EMA under certain conditions. If you're thick and need 3 years to do A levels you're fine, yet if you're a year ahead in school and are 20 days outside the year boundry yet qualify elsewhere, shove off the Government doesn't want you.

Dave A

joea1 said:

No, we DON'T get paid to attend school! You U16's are lucky enough to have your books and expenses within school paid for, we don't. So, if we DO get the full £30, I promise it doesn't last!

Tom B

Established Member
David said:
No, we DON'T get paid to attend school! You U16's are lucky enough to have your books and expenses within school paid for, we don't. So, if we DO get the full £30, I promise it doesn't last!

Hmm... all the textbooks etc are supplied by our school. We're meant to use our own file paper and other stationary where possible, but the school stocks are just left lying around in cupboards, so no need to buy that ;).

DLA365

Adults really get the worst deal in London. Even though I have a discount card that gives me 30% off, I still have to pay the fantastically increasing fares as a result of allowing half the population on for free!!

Lewisham2221

Established Member
DLA365 said:
Adults really get the worst deal in London. Even though I have a discount card that gives me 30% off, I still have to pay the fantastically increasing fares as a result of allowing half the population on for free!!

Even so, you can't say that you get a bad deal, after all, even with full price fares, Londoner's can go further, more frequently, for less than people can in the rest of the country.

Tom B

Established Member
The price of a one-day bus pass in London is less than a First Day ticket here - and in London you get a much better service AND can use it on all operators! You also don't *have* to buy one, there is a proper range fo singles and returns.

DLA365

Lewisham2221 said:
Even so, you can't say that you get a bad deal, after all, even with full price fares, Londoner's can go further, more frequently, for less than people can in the rest of the country.
Obviously not a bad deal for the kids and pensioners, because they go for free.

Since that introduction, there have been so many incidents of drivers shutting down the bus because teenagers fail to prove they're under 16/ "forgot their Oyster", arguments with buggy owners because they have "paid their fare so they won't get off even if there is no space for it".

Even if a "one-buggy rule" is implemented, how many responsibilities can the drivers take on? In addition to collecting fares and driving safely, they also have to catch fare-evaders, check if there is space for buggies, etc. etc.

No wonder they're losing their minds!

RJ

Established Member
Bus fares are getting a bit expensive. For example, adults who want to get from Lewisham to Blackheath by train is £1.20 and is £1.50 by bus. I guess free travel is subsidised by the adult fares and congestion charge :)

Julian G

Established Member
if anyone wants to travel for free in London (Adults+Kids)
Just get a Freedom Pass

Met Driver

Established Member
Julian G said:
Just get a Freedom Pass

Freedom passes are only issued to the over 60s and people with disabilities.

DLA365

Julian G said:
Just get a Freedom Pass
If it was that easy, would TfL need to take the trouble of printing a fares booklet?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is this only for people in full-time education in Greater London, or for anyone with a 16-17 photocard and associated Oyster?

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Jeese, would be bloody good here, my bloody ema usually goes on the sodding £30 odd quid a month bus pass I need for school, roll on driving, at least I'll have something to show for my money and to my advantage rather than stinking smelly boring buses

RJ

Established Member
Mojo said:
Is this only for people in full-time education in Greater London, or for anyone with a 16-17 photocard and associated Oyster?

People in full time education.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
So what, you need another 16-17 Photocard, a new 16-17 Oyster Photocard or your Oyster "re-programmed" (I assume on completion on a form from your school / college)?

Dave A

Mojo said:
So what, you need another 16-17 Photocard, a new 16-17 Oyster Photocard or your Oyster "re-programmed" (I assume on completion on a form from your school / college)?

I persume it will be a new oyster photocard and like the u16 ones, it will do those multi beeps?

Status
Not open for further replies.