• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Central Railway News and Updates

Flying Phil

Established Member
From GCR "Rail Mail"
From the General Manager

Quite often at GCR we’re compelled for various reasons to respect confidentiality. One of the most frequent causes is where commercial filming has taken place in which GCR is bound by a legal contract not to disclose anything, even though a casual visitor to the Railway on a particular day will have learned very quickly what is happening! So, that’s our reason for only spilling the beans now, as below, but please get the word around. Last November, we were visited by Channel 5 and a certain Chris Tarrant for the day. This is now to be aired next Monday, Monday 13th February 9pm on Channel 5! Hope you enjoy!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Phil

Established Member
There has been more site preparation work and a substantial metal fence now runs round the boundary between the allotments and the site. There is also a new roadway up from the A6, on the South side of the Petrol Station.
The latest plan (In Mainline magazine) shows the turntable moved, from the North end of the building, to the East side with a stabling spur line.

Last edited:

Flying Phil

Established Member
A lot of work has been going on with the museum - but almost all of it paper (data) based, to present to the Lottery, to release the major part of the funding. Hopefully that process is just about complete and so the physical work could start soon.

satisnek

Am I the only one with reservations about this? It appears to be at the expense of a 'proper' terminus, which was what Leicester North was planned to be developed into, surely?

Flying Phil

Established Member
Am I the only one with reservations about this? It appears to be at the expense of a 'proper' terminus, which was what Leicester North was planned to be developed into, surely?
I suspect that your reservations are unfounded. The museum development will itself create a second platform at Leicester North and make the future extension of the double track, to Leicester North from Rothley, far more likely in the future. The actual museum will make the South end much more of a "destination" and attract some of the visitors who already go to the "Space" museum and Pumping Station. The sooner built the better!:D

satisnek

I suspect that your reservations are unfounded.

I do hope so. It's just that the plan shows the existing Leicester North platform 'as is' and four possible locations for the second platform, only one of which is adjacent to the existing one!

Looking at the layout of Leicester North at present, with its vestigial second platform, I get the impression that the intention is/was for a large main line terminus with a centre loco release road (think of a full scale version of Hythe). I just feel that it would be a shame to have 18 miles of heritage main line (as ultimately proposed, albeit with a wiggly single track bit in the middle) running from a platform in one museum site to another.

On the other hand, if the GCR is keeping its options open for a future southward extension (although I somehow doubt this!), then I see things in a completely different light...

Flying Phil

Established Member
The other thing to remember about the Leicester North site is that there is a Huge water main now running underground just to the South of the existing station end, so any building work is severely constrained. I don't think there was ever a serious possibility of a "large main line terminus". Apparently the Lottery proposal had, as part of it's conditions, stated that a museum building should not be similar to existing railway structures - ie converted sheds or stations.
Future Southward expansion? ....a very very faint dream now, with so much of the old track bed built over, viaducts removed, bridges gone etc.

mushroomchow

IIRC, that "southern extension" was only going to be a half-mile or so to Beaumont Leys lane. It'd have been a single-track job, with no run-round loop and plonking you in a decidedly dodgy part of the city. It was initially based on the vague idea of having a closer link to Abbey Pumping Station and the Space Centre, but it really isn't any more convenient in that respect than the current terminus, and the proposed connectivity from the museum project would defeat the point in any sense. Needless to say, it's probably not going to happen, though the City Council do seem to have preserved the trackbed from development just in case it does ever go ahead.

As for the museum, I've warmed to it, even though I genuinely believe they chose the ugliest of the six shortlisted designs. Ultimately, I think the content will be what matters, and the exhibits are going to be great. I'm also relieved that they chose a design with a turntable, as unbelievably 4 of the 6 didn't bother to include one at all!

mushroomchow

News on the grapevine which may be of interest but is sad nonetheless - it's looking possible that the café at Leicester North may well close in November due to a lack of custom - it currently runs at a loss.

jamescr

Platform Cafe

It is with some regret that we have been forced to “mothball” the Platform café operation at Greenacres, Leicester North. With its remoteness from the station and difficulties in coordinating with turn round times at Leicester, it has struggled to break even over the last few years and we have taken the painful decision to suspend café catering there until the museum is built. The closure will occur by the 1st November 2017.

Taken from RailMail 6th October: http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/services...b892lnxHRiadng892vHItA/lVqCiYkL2IwfXcGLdftgTg

Spartacus

Established Member
Well, despite going to the GCR a number of times I never knew it was there, but I think the line's already more than well catered for on the stations, without taking into account off station facilities and the famous griddle car.

AndyY1951

How much land is available (i.e. owned) for the museum? I've attached a picture from the GCR website. It shows two areas with boundaries marked in red. To the east of the main museum development and the turntable are two more large rectangular buildings with what look like railway tracks to them. Are these for future phases once an initial phase is complete?
Information is still very sketchy!

Andy

Attachments

• 2017-03siteplan[1].jpg
    2017-03siteplan[1].jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 53

Flying Phil

Established Member
I think those areas are for museum car parking and may be associated with the "Park n Ride" that already operates from further out on the A6 by the ring road - but, as you say, the information is still sketchy!

AndyY1951

Whilst there are certainly what look like car-parking spaces marked out, both rectangles which I'm guessing are the footprints of buildings, definitely look to have tracks entering on either side. What else might they be?
Given the L-shaped nature of the site, if these are tracks, better access might be possible off another exit road from the turntable?

Flying Phil

Established Member
From the GCR financial accounts, the Project Manager and Quantity Surveyor positions for the Museum are "Mace" (presumably Mace Construction?) and the HLF second phase funding is to be applied for in March 2018. So, behind the scenes, there is much activity.

mushroomchow

The Heritage Lottery fund have withdrawn their £9.5 million commitment to the project.
Leicester’s plans for a new multi-million pound heritage rail museum have been dealt a hammer blow by lottery bosses.

The Great Central Railway has been told a bid for £9.5 million of Heritage Lottery Fund cash has been turned down.

The HLF announced yesterday that because of concerns about the stage of the development of the project, and perceived delivery risks, it would not be providing the funding requested.

Strong possibility that the entire project will now be cancelled unless alternative funding is sourced ASAP.

The HLF conceded the GCR had a strong business plan, which showed its future is not dependent on the new museum going ahead, and that was cited as a reason for pulling out of the project.

Leicester’s mayor Sir Peter Soulsby said he was furious about the decision....

I should know by now that Leicester isn't allowed to have nice things. :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:

Flying Phil

Established Member
WHAT!!!......how can they do that.....
Are we paying the price for having a Tory rebel MP?

Shenandoah

Leicester can't expect everything, after all they have a deceased King, who actually really wanted to be in York. :s
I don't think this decision has any connection with politics, just maybe some of those who make hand-out decisions were like many other people quite unimpressed with the design of the place. Reading the newspaper article does suggest that the HLF felt the GCR was doing fine and the museum wasn't a necessity to their continued existence. Moreover the Plan B suggested gives a signal that the HLF money was not essential but monies might be raised elsewhere. Not the best remark to be made really when cap in hand.

Last edited:

Flying Phil

Established Member
Perhaps I am mistaken about the recent political events having a bearing...but they were adjacent news stories!... I think it is the unexpectedness of the decision and the somewhat confused reasoning behind it. I hope we get a fuller explanation as the HLF prides itself on "transparency" on it's website.
Also the funding from HLF was approx half the cost and so a lot of additional money was going to be needed and so I hope we will still be able to have a museum complex at Leicester with less "Bells and Whistles". The design criteria - from the HLF, was for a non railway looking "Iconic" building and, if the chosen/winning design was not to their liking, why wait so long to pull the plug????

Kettledrum

I imagine that the architects fees for the design and plans to get this far will be significant - a lot of money for any railway charity to find. Questions will be asked about why so much money had to be invested up front if funding was so uncertain, and how is the HLF allowed to withdraw funding already (apparently) promised. Will the Mayor back a judicial review of the HLF decision?

It does sound like the HLF were very demanding in terms of insisting that the project didn't look like any other railway heritage building, and maybe if some alternative funding can be found, then perhaps something more in keeping with our railway heritage can be built instead.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It does sound like the HLF were very demanding in terms of insisting that the project didn't look like any other railway heritage building, and maybe if some alternative funding can be found, then perhaps something more in keeping with our railway heritage can be built instead.

European funding?
(gets coat)

AndyY1951

I guess the architect's fees etc will have been paid for by the HLF, I think it's called 'first round funding' or somesuch, so not taken money away from the railway, just manhours.
Andy

On Moderation
Perhaps I am mistaken about the recent political events having a bearing...but they were adjacent news stories!... I think it is the unexpectedness of the decision and the somewhat confused reasoning behind it. I hope we get a fuller explanation as the HLF prides itself on "transparency" on it's website.
Also the funding from HLF was approx half the cost and so a lot of additional money was going to be needed and so I hope we will still be able to have a museum complex at Leicester with less "Bells and Whistles". The design criteria - from the HLF, was for a non railway looking "Iconic" building and, if the chosen/winning design was not to their liking, why wait so long to pull the plug????
Decisions like these are not taken lightly. The railway throwing its toys out of the pram will have done nothing to help the situation, either.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Attached is the Press release on the GCR website - hardly "Throwing its toys out of the pram"
THE Board of Trustees responsible for administering Heritage Lottery funding has informed the Great Central Railway (GCR) that it will not be supporting its plans for a new railway museum at Birstall.

In 2015 the board earmarked more than £9.5 million for the Main Line project, subject to a Stage two submission, which was being prepared.

However, it announced yesterday (Wednesday 13) that owing to concerns about the stage of the development of the project, and perceived delivery risks, it would not be providing the funding requested.

GCR’s Managing Director Michael Gough said: “We were genuinely astonished to hear the news about the HLF’s decision on our round two funding and I have to question their rationale.

Since joining the GCR, in July of this year, I have been highly impressed by the support that the project had from the City Mayor and his team and I was confident that the strength of our combined proposal would be a winning solution.

“Our proposal to HLF Nottingham consisted of, as requested by them in October 2017, comprehensive strategy and action plan from the city council, and a detailed business plan from the railway. Taken together this provided an approach that had almost zero risk.

“We will now explore a number of alternative plans. In the meantime, I can’t help but feel hurt that Leicester appears to have been overlooked yet again.”

Leicester’s City Mayor Sir Peter Soulsby said: “We are obviously very disappointed, but this is not the end of the project. We remain committed to it, and the challenge now is for us to find a Plan B and an alternative source of finance.

“The project has been enormously strengthened since....

Attachments

• 2017-12-14-News-Release-Leicester-North-museum.pdf
    258.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited by a moderator:

mushroomchow

I wouldn't be surprised if this resurfaces at the other end of the line once the gap is bridged. Because Nottingham.

Leicester can't expect everything, after all they have a deceased King, who actually really wanted to be in York. :s
Actually, Richard III probably wanted to be buried beside his beloved wife Anne, who is interred in Westminster Abbey - but don't let that get in the way of York's "claim" to him, despite him barely having set foot in the county for most of his life save for a few childhood years in Wensleydale, and him probably having more connection to Gloucester than York. :p

Flying Phil

Established Member
There are a couple of BBC Local radio interviews available on the GC website which give a bit more information from the Mayor and GCR MD. The HLF declined to be interviewed. There is hope that the project will continue in some form.

Shenandoah

Actually, Richard III probably wanted to be buried beside his beloved wife Anne, who is interred in Westminster Abbey - but don't let that get in the way of York's "claim" to him, despite him barely having set foot in the county for most of his life save for a few childhood years in Wensleydale, and him probably having more connection to Gloucester than York. :p
Thanks for the information. I do not see Gloucester getting much of a press these days, maybe there should be a movement to get Richard III shifted there. <:D:D

TheBeard

Actually York never wanted him even their knights forgot to turn up at Bosworth!On the museum its like the Midlands became the new Bombay as to where to send terrible architects. Workngton shed is better