• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Central Railway News and Updates

Flying Phil

Established Member
I think we all want a good quality "museum/feature/attraction" at Leicester North but I'm not sure the residents at Birstall regard themselves as a "blank canvas". As for a "genuine recreation", I don't think that would work anyway in today's regulated environment, compromises again I'm afraid.
However, I am optimistic that "Plan B" is going to happen as per post #113, which I'm sure will be more attractive to more donors/sponsors/supporters......and please the "many".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I think we all want a good quality "museum/feature/attraction" at Leicester North but I'm not sure the residents at Birstall regard themselves as a "blank canvas". As for a "genuine recreation", I don't think that would work anyway in today's regulated environment, compromises again I'm afraid.
However, I am optimistic that "Plan B" is going to happen as per post #113, which I'm sure will be more attractive to more donors/sponsors/supporters......and please the "many".
There is good and bad in both "modern" and "pastiche". All I would say is that for me, the biggest stinker of a building inflicted on its community by a tourist railway is firmly in the pastiche camp. How on earth did it get planning permission?

No, I am not even going to hint where I am referring to!

duffield

Established Member
Maybe it is pastiche but I never fail to be impressed with the SVR's Kidderminster station - all it needs is few more years' weathering.

I hope the above post wasn't referring to it!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Maybe it is pastiche but I never fail to be impressed with the SVR's Kidderminster station - all it needs is few more years' weathering.

I hope the above post wasn't referring to it!
Hard to say, and it’s hard to see why it’s a problem expressing a personal opinion on a building if you don’t like it?
I agree with you that Kidderminster (SVR) is a fine recreation.

Come on Paul throw us a bone.
I won’t tell anyone...
I have a feeling that it’s SR green.
Sorry but wrong! One example of excellent quality pastiche is painted S.R. green i.e. the up side at Ropley.
The place I am thinking of even has some of its own railway's supporters thinking it is a stinker.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sorry but wrong! One example of excellent quality pastiche is painted S.R. green i.e. the up side at Ropley.
The place I am thinking of even has some of its own railway's supporters thinking it is a stinker.
Ah. Ropley does look the business I must say.
I was actually thinking about the East Grinstead extension when I said SR. Although I’m now thinking chocolate and cream and not in the far west...

38Cto15E

I popped into Rothley Station yesterday, the new driveway is excellent, much wider than before and really smooth tarmac, the car park is also 100% better, let's hope that it lasts. Finally I visited the Ellis Tea rooms, very very nice, a good range of products at reasonable prices, friendly staff and even a few Railway books and mags to peruse. Well done GCR.
It has certainly changed when I used to 'spot' there 60 years ago. :)

Flying Phil

Established Member
Glad that you enjoyed your visit Gus......and in 1969 it certainly was a poor "spotters" place... the Notts to Rugby DMU, odd freight and demolition train....... and all closed in May.

38Cto15E

It was late 50's when I used to do my spotting at Rothley, it is still the same family who own the shop next to the station where I used to buy a 3d lolly. :)
ps: The Memorial train looked magnificent with 73156 and newly painted Class 47 1705.

RT4038

Established Member
Glad that you enjoyed your visit Gus......and in 1969 it certainly was a poor "spotters" place... the Notts to Rugby DMU, odd freight and demolition train....... and all closed in May.

60 years ago was 1959......

38Cto15E

Well Spotted RT, I am too much of a gentleman to point it out. :)
Some times I use to bike from my nearby village to Rothley station around lunchtime, wheel my bike down the stairs and store it in the porters room. Then I purchased a child's return to Leicester Central, watched the action there and then after the Bournemouth to York/Newcastle had departed I returned to Rothley, probably on the 5-15pm and collected my bike and cycled home.
Of course I could have got to Leicester Central quicker and easier by Midland Red from my home, but that wasn't the same. :)

Flying Phil

Established Member
Curious if safeguards for the route into Leicester central were ever put in place.
I don't think any thought was given to such safeguards at the time. Certainly the outer ring road caused the bridge South of Belgrave and Birstall station to be demolished very quickly. Various supermarkets etc went up in the Abbey sidings area.
P.S. re the 50/60 years from Gus's post, I thought it did originally say 50 years ago, hence my 1969 reference....but it was a long time ago....:rolleyes:

stanney2001

Guessed so.
Even planning safeguards to stop any further developments.
Not sure why. But for the last two weeks all I’ve been able to think about it how one would go about rebuilding into Leicester.

Goldie

Guessed so.
Even planning safeguards to stop any further developments.
Not sure why. But for the last two weeks all I’ve been able to think about it how one would go about rebuilding into Leicester.

That's what my gut is telling me should happen too. Loads of money needed, plenty of obstacles - but on the other hand it's a logical end point for the railway; it'd bring tourists and regeneration for the city; and - if you design it right - a car free commuter route into town.

stanney2001

Up to Beaumont leys Ln seems possible. Bridge to replace. Expensive. Yet seem the GCR are very capable of it.
From there into Leicester.
A saving grace that apart from one residential block it is all industrial land.
And industrial land can be used again after a being built upon. Car parks can remain car parks.
Leicester city seem very ambitious with their waterside development. And the opportunity to link two big cities seems a strong reason.
If you preserved the route to Leicester central. It still preserves the option for richer times. Or for a long term development over 10? 20 years. Preserves railways do draw people into an area. And they are very good focus points for assemblies of people for a broad range of purposes.
Money aside. Who would start to drive a project like that.
If you think about the costs.
You’d never start.
And if houses are built on the route. well..

Flying Phil

Established Member
Whilst anything is possible.....if you have a LOT of money, I think there is no real chance of getting much further into Leicester. The embankments have gone, the brick arch viaducts have gone, the bridges have gone and the land has mostly been built on.

stanney2001

Has anyone ever costed it? Worked out the detail?
Do it over twenty years.
Industrial land is a lot easier to develop.
Leicester city certainly seem prepared to compulsory purchase.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Has anyone ever costed it? Worked out the detail?
Do it over twenty years.
Industrial land is a lot easier to develop.
Leicester city certainly seem prepared to compulsory purchase.

I am not an expert, but ball park figures could be based on the "Gap" between GCR and GCR(N) which is about half a mile long with one railway bridge (£2M), one road bridge (say £1/2M for abutments etc), Canal bridge refurb (£1/4M), 1/3 mile embankment (say £1M), other works (precis spark car park etc)(say £ 1M) plus planning, consents, legal fees (say £1/4M).....This gives a total around £5M......So 3 miles into Leicester would cost £30M in today's figures....except it is already built on, so not the bare land of the "Gap", so considerably more expensive!
Let us just get a quality museum complex at Leicester North .... and double track to Rothley.

stanney2001

It would take considerable resources.

extend the double track to Rothley, build the museum. Realise all the potential when the gap is completed.

all I’m suggesting. Without a brick being laid.
Is to use the planning process. So that as property is developed along what was the alignment. That you would be unable to build upon that part.

stanney2001

I discovered that what is left of the trackbed from Leicester north to Beaumont leys Lane is a designated SSSI. Which is very unlikely to be ever lifted. Explains why development applications are turned down.

Ah well. Sweet sorrow.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Re the Museum...there is to be a meeting with the two Councils and GCR at the end of the month. Leicester City Council have a Project Manager working full time on the proposal, so positive news it seems.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Some other GCR News...There is now a complete agreement with the NRM regarding the next ten years running on the main line and GCR. It is hoped that it could be running again by the end of next year. There is a similar agreement for the 04 - which also is hoped to be running again 2020/21.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Further news from yesterday. There is a bit more work to be done on the boiler of 70013 before it goes to Tyseley. The frames have been jacked up and the driving wheels removed so that the roller bearings can be inspected. The pony and trailing trucks are being re-assembled.
DSCF7166s.jpg

Flying Phil

Established Member
Here is our visitor, from the Epping and Onger Railway, which is "running in" on the GCR for a few weeks.DSCF7241s.jpg