• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

More Indian Suburban Railways

Status
Not open for further replies.

stut

Established Member
After my previous experiences in Hyderabad, I've had a few more work trips to India, involving quite a lot of train travel (both long-distance and suburban) but I thought I'd comment on some of the suburban services. I find the country endlessly fascinating, and always love the perspective you get on a place from the rails. Would be interested to hear in others' experiences (and I'll keep the long-distance stuff separate).

HYDERABAD MMTS

See previous notes here: http://railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=84270

Hyderabad's traffic continues to be horrendous, but, following more corruption and mismanagement, the elevated metro system has been delayed yet again, so the underfunded, underserviced MMTS remains the sole option for getting around without using the roads.

In this instance, I needed to get from the airport (no luggage) to the old city on a Friday evening. This is a staunchly Muslim area, so post-mosque time on a Friday is when the whole city is out on the street, walking, drinking tea and eating. It's a wonderful atmosphere, but the traffic is gridlocked. So, I got a cab to take me to Falaknuma, then end of the MMTS line. It's also an Indian Railways station, so should be easy to find, yes?

No. Like many of the MMTS stations, they've been added wherever possible, but aren't actually at particularly convenient locations. Access to the stations is down unpaved, narrow streets, little paths, even involving a scramble up to the platforms. As well as getting tourists in taxis rather lost, it also means there's been an increase in assaults and robberies late at night.

The train was on time, but seemed to go from a random platform. I think I was the only one using the bridge rather than crossing the tracks (it's the main line from Secunderabad south, and anyway, all those toilets flush on to the track, as is abundantly clear...) It's a modern EMU, and pretty decent to travel in (the usual always-open doors, etc). But it goes at a snail's pace - not least because you just can't keep people off the tracks in this country.

But it got me to central Hyderabad on a Friday night, so for that I am grateful. Not bad for 5p.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
CHENNAI MRTS

This trip also took me to Chennai. I was actually going to the coast, and arrived far too late, so got a taxi down there. On the way back, I got a bus to Chennai, and noticed we were coming in along the route of the elevated MRTS line (only one line is) serving the IT areas. As the bus station is an arduous journey away, to the middle of nowhere, seemingly benefiting nobody but auto-rickshaw drivers, I hopped off over to what I assumed was a station.

Now, there is a certain era of modern Indian architecture that consists of roughly case concrete boxes painted yellow. This was definitely of that era, although there were some splashes of red. However, as it was Sunday, it wasn't at all busy. It was, however, stupendously ugly.

I approached with some trepidation. It looked derelict. The doors and interior didn't improve this impression. The rusting escalators were out of use, and the interior was nothing but raw concrete, some of it not looking in the healthiest state. I failed to find a ticket office, but headed up and up until I found something looking like a platform...

...and this is where everybody was. The platform level is somewhat better - marked with the familiar roundels, and afforded a very station-style canopy. It looked like a station that had seen better days. However, I asked around, and was directed to the ticket office in another lobby, which I assumed would be in a better state. No. It had the same post-apocalyptic, derelict look to the first. I had vague flashbacks to late-90s first-person video games. It all felt quite wrong.

And then the train turned up. Quite an old EMU - broad, 3+3 wooden seating, strange compartment divides and carriage allocations, lots of fans, and no AC. This is the hottest city in India - I wouldn't fancy this in rush hour in June. Barred windows, and pegged-open doors, as usual (wouldn't fancy being in an accident in one of these - if you can't get to the door, you're a goner).

12266270146_9724a5400e.jpg

As always, hanging out the door is a prime position. You have to jostle for it - here, the technique is to leave the carriage at every station and ensure you shove yourself on in very last place.

But now, it feels very different. You are transported on an elevated line (which means you can actually go at some speed) above the rooftops of the leafier part of tropical Chennai, peering into people's windows, looking down on the street life and markets below. As you rejoin the older section of railway, you're at ground level, the stations now feeling far more traditional and less freakishly dystopian.

The MRTS lines run to Chennai Beach (there are some Indian Railway suburban lines here) but don't connect directly to Chennai Central - there are two stations (Park and Park Town) that have a designated connection, which basically involves either walking down the middle of a busy flyover, or finding a hidden entrance on a busy street. I did eventually find Park station, so I could head out to Tirusulam. The old MRTS line does have a connection to the airport - quite the novelty in India.

This line was old-school - how I remember the suburban lines in Mumbai, and similarly busy at that. Wooden seats, and the 3+3 only the theoretical seating arrangement. This is an established suburban line, and it shows - you're well into commuter country. It's not a bad journey, but it's not the most comfortable.

The exit from Tirusulam station towards the airport is impressively well signposted. You're taken in a subway under the highway, and then... Well, you're in the middle of a road with the taxis. It's not quite clear where to go, so if you kind of pick your way towards the terminal, you'll find....

...that you've reached the abandoned domestic terminal. The international terminal is in an transition state, and parts of it are supposedly only reachable by electric cart (not that anybody enforces it) and the new domestic terminal is a 10-minute walk to the right. Not that any of this is signposted, and not that you're segregated from the vehicular traffic while you're there.

(The recently abandoned terminal is also quite eerily fascinating - the lights are all still on, for some reason...)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

londoncalling

Having spent a week last year in Hyderabad being ferried around by car, your report (and the one in Chennai) made for very interesting reading. Thank you. I shall be a little braver next time I'm there.

stut

Established Member
The MMTS is a terrible system, however, that's the problem. It's basically a stop-gap until the metro finally gets up and running - an urban service, using inter-urban lines around the city. And so if there's the slightest delay with the inter-city services (particularly at Secunderabad Junction or Kacheguda), the local services get delayed for 10s of minutes at a time (and each route tends only to have an hourly service anyway). But there's no infrastructure to do otherwise at the moment.

You don't have to be especially brave to ride it (although you do have to be pretty assertive in the ticket queue, as is often the case), and I do recommend taking at trip to either Yakutpura or Dabeerpura stations, and walking towards the Charminar (or catching an auto if it's too hot), as this is a particularly atmospheric part of the city.

Much of the traffic is between the old city and Hitech City - a journey that can easily take 90+ minutes by car in peak hours.

TBH, the best way to get around the city at the moment is on two (motorised) wheels. You just have to have the stomach for it!

For the next installment...

DELHI METRO

I haven't yet had the joy of Delhi's famously underused circle line, but I have been on the Airport Express a couple of times, which is a great, and very underused service (it's rather on the pricey side for India, but slashed the journey time to the centre). But this is about the metro.

It's a proper, fully-fledged, bona fide metro system. Underground, frequent, long and busy. I joined it at New Delhi station, right at the wrong time (a busy long-haul train had just arrived at the railway station directly above).

Predictably for such systems in India, you are subject to security controls on entering. This is a fairly swift WTMD + wand and x-ray machine, but you really wouldn't want to be travelling with any significant luggage. Few are challenged, but I was (quite a lot of electronic equipment in my bag) - even then, I was through in a few seconds.

Tickets are cheap, although about 50% more than suburban rail. One-off tickets seem to operate on a slightly convoluted chipcoin system (touch in rather awkwardly, but then put it in a slot on the way out - but only a few gates have such a slot). Automatic ticket barriers seem odd in a country where every opportunity is taken to employ multiple people for the simplest task... There are some attempts at automated ticket machines, but far more geared to using ticket counters.

Once down on the platform, it looks... Well, slightly worn, given its relatively young age. Huge footfall, little non-essential maintenance. At Rs.8 for a journey, that's not surprising. The construction is basic - slightly reminiscent of the Amsterdam metro's underground stops, with all the brick and pillars, or perhaps some of the NYC subway's less steel-orientated ones.

Everything seems geared up to crowd control. I don't know if the security checks are meant to provide a bottleneck, but it's probably not a bad thing that they do. You are corralled and caged, there are one-way systems, multiple staircases... Much of them ignored, naturally. Platform assistants carry whistles, ready to admonish anybody whose foot drifts over the yellow line... Ah, now we're back to Full Employment.

The trains themselves are clear and fast - rather reminiscent of the Yamanote Line in Tokyo (with similar crowd levels). Once inside, the journey is seriously swift - it doesn't feel like you are in an Indian city any more. Of course, the second you leave the station and are accosted by dubious auto-wallahs, it all comes flooding back. In my case, I was going to Chandni Chowk, which was full of them.

Again, the crowds follow the employment, so it's not always obvious when the peak hours and flows are going to be. The new towns like Noida and Gurgaon are the big high-tech centres, but firms often keep odd hours to work with Europe and the US. So you see massive crowds heading out of the city mid-morning.

I have to say though, it really has revolutionised transport in the city. My memory of Delhi is of crowded, slow buses, terrible rip-off merchants of auto drivers, and wide, chaotic roads - like any other Indian city, but amplified. You always allowed plenty time to get anywhere. But this is... Well, it's all so much easier and faster. And you can really see a huge difference on the streets. Is it all due to the metro? Probably not, the decentralisation of much of the employment must be a factor, too. But it has certainly made quite a difference.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
BANGALORE "NAMMA METRO"

Bangalore is another of the "tier 1" Indian cities desperate to get its own metro ("namma metro" or "our metro" in Kannada) up and running. At the moment, only a small section between the MG Road and Baiyyappanahalli is open, but other sections will come together soon. Like other Indian metros, it's underground when it has to be, and elevated when it doesn't. The existing section is elevated.

So, I went to MG Road station. It has a big, new bridge built over towards the main shopping/eating side, but it's not finished yet, so you have to run the gauntlet of Bangalore's legendary traffic to enter the station. Which is, well, rather like playing a very high level of Frogger.

The lobby is impressive. Very up-to-date, with a branch of the popular Café Coffee Day, clean (and easily cleanable surfaces) and with a mix of ticket counters and machines. I guess this is one of the major stations on the route. Lots of security around - not just the inevitable WTMD check.

Going up the escalators to the mezzanine and then platform levels, though, it looks like the kind of place that will age very quickly. Not quite as badly as the after-the-bomb Chennai MRTS stations above, but basics like anti-bird-perching devices are absent, and even now, parts are showing a lack of maintenance. The structures are gigantic (concrete boxes, of course), and unnecessarily so.

Tickets were little chipcoin tokens again.

Everything is automated, and there are pretty good electronic signs on the platform. The trains are brand new, of course, and pretty swish - not unlike the Bangkok BTS, only longer. Being raised, you get a good view of the city from above, but this is rather spoiled by parallel seating, bright lights and tinted windows (OK, I'm sure views for tourists wasn't a particularly large concern at design time, but it's just an observation).

I got off at the rather quiet little station of Halasuru, to have a walk around this temple/shrine-heavy area. Returning in the twilight, the viaduct carrying the railway is really quite menacing, blocking out nearly all the light to a busy road. Planning works rather differently over here.

Halasuru station doesn't have a ground floor, but 4 staircases/escalators up to a mezzanine, which seems to mean that the security check has to be on each of the staircases (no x-ray here, just a man with a prodding stick).

Again, Bangalore is crying out for a metro system, and I'm sure will be very grateful for it as it slowly connects together. I think some aspects of the design are ill-conceived and will age prematurely, but I've seen far, far worse in India. The section that functions does so very well. But I can't help feeling that, as with elsewhere in India, the planners missing the shifts taking place in cities due to the high-tech boom, and the changing focus of the city on new districts built on the outskirts. Unless you can solve the problem of traffic to/from Electronics City and the like, you'll still have huge congestion problems. As a colleague said to me "I used to drive to the Bangalore office. I learned a lot about patience."

stut

Established Member
Well, another visit, and more suburban trains, so let's go..

KOLKATA METRO

This was the first metro opened in India, and I was expecting it to show its age - but was pleasantly surprised.

The entrances to the underground section were all raised from the ground, and every one that was open (there were a few blocked off) were accompanied by a security guard. Not unusual, of course - remember this is a country where cities like Kolkata have a security guard at every ATM.

The stations were rather well organised - brief security as usual, and the usual chipcoin tokens for access. It felt rather like a (less clean version of a) Japanese suburban railway - the trains felt very similar (although eerily quiet, due to it being election day), as did the stations.

I got off at the rather wonderfully named Dum Dum Junction, where I changed to the suburban network.

KOLKATA SUBURBAN RAILWAY

It gets hot here, you know... Over 42 degrees, with huge humidity. So you really don't want to be stuck on a non-moving train, it's painful. And so it's bliss when we get going towards Sealdah - Kolkata's slightly awkwardly located main commuter rail hub.

The trains are the standard Indian MEMU suburban stock - wooden seats, fans, hang-on handles, and open doors to catch a breeze. There's no better way to see a country's suburbia and inner city than hanging out the door of a train.

Sealdah is a hugely congested hub station (actually two stations on different networks welded together), not quite central in the city. You can get trains to all over the region from here, but you step out into a full-on, crowded street market, where you can get all sorts of tasty-looking street food and drink if you reckon your stomach can take it.

One of the few tram lines does go by, though - these are quite wonderful old beasts, rather reminiscent of the toy train services in the country:

However... In a realisation rather like Thameslink in the UK, the Eastern Railway planners noticed they had a poorly-used freight line leading right through the heart of the city to Bagbazaar, BBD Bagh, Eden Gardens and through to the junction at Majerhat. It hugs buildings, markets, houses and slums, and is single track for much of its route, with haphazard crossings (to get to the river which it runs very close to) and people all over the track. But it's a great resource, and so it now ferries commuters, when it can, right to the heart of the city.

It's difficult to describe this line - it's quite wonderful. Here's a glimpse, thanks to my cameraphone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39BA3bCC9Ag

It took my to Chitpur - Kolkata Terminus, which isn't really a major railhead despite the name (Howrah Junction - over the river, and linked by a veritable flotilla of ferries - is the main long-distance station - and is gigantic). However, it is the terminus for the international "Maitree Express" service to Bangladesh, and so is set up with security, and has a far grander look than you'd expect.

HYDERABAD MMTS

Back to Hyderabad, and I decided to brave the local MMTS in the rush hour. Foolhardy? Perhaps. But I didn't want to spend the evening sitting on my own on a business-park hotel, did I?

So, off to find a shared auto to the station. The buses are full and hanging-out-the-door by the point they reach the stop near the hotel, and the auto-rickshaws ("autos") can make more by carrying multiple passengers and charging them Rs10 each (about 9.5p) which is what they do. 5 passengers and a driver in an auto somehow doesn't feel unusual here, but it's not something for a long journey...

The station is chaotic. They placed the bridge in an awkward location, and two tracks are at different elevations, so the result? People just walk over the tracks, scrambling from level to level. Not so dangerous on a suburban rail line with barely two trains an hour? Well, maybe not, but this is also the mainline to Mumbai. Ouch.

The queues at the ticket office are the source of many complaints in Hyderabad, and I can see why. The queue was out the door. You learn here that you queue 'with your feet' - their position is key to make sure you get your place. In the end, I wimped out and got a first class ticket - 19 times the cost of standard, but still only 80p. My train was late, but that was OK, the previous one was late as well.

First Class was busy (with a guard on the door) - a tiny compartment with slightly padded seats - but significantly less so than second. I got a seat, and chatted with a government worker who was surprised to see a non-local using the service :)

Once the crowds departed at Begumpet, it was door-hanging time once more.

I returned from Necklace Road (second class this time), getting to the station just after the last train was due to depart. I asked the ticket clerk, and he said they were still running. As it turned out, the last two trains were running significantly late - so much so that the train that was supposed to be leaving 3 minutes ago had only just started its inbound journey, but was still going to complete the full journey. I got a train that was over an hour late, which got me back out to Hitech City very pleasantly. Quite quiet - people stretched out sleeping over seat rows, and me, you guessed it, by the door, enjoying the cooling evening breeze.

Quite an experience.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Good stuff, you intrepid traveller!
I can recommend the cameraphone video to anyone who hasn't clicked the link, just to get a sense of the organised chaos (or is it chaotic organisation) that seems to be typical of much of India.

stut

Established Member
The interesting thing about the video, watching it back, is how the foreground and background are divided. The foreground is where the chaos and filth are - litter, makeshift houses and workshops, all sorts of undergrowth - yet in the background is the serene Hooghly River, with its viewpoints and shrines.

stut

Established Member
Yes, sadly I didn't get to use the branch line to the airport station at Biman Bandar (now named after Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose) as the station is particularly poorly frequented:

http://etrain.info/in?STATION=BNBA

I guess they're waiting for the new metro link instead.

I'd no idea about the link to the bullets, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.