• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

More Lockdowns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
There's an article that came out in the telegraph 2 days ago behind a paywall into why we're sleepwalking into another lockdown apparently.

We know why they’re saying this, the schools go back in a few days, so now they want to ramp up the fear factor again and get people panicking and begging to be shut down again, however I think those who want further restrictions are now in the minority thank god.

Hopefully they're warning of the dangers rather than writing on reliable inside information.

Either way it's up to us, the public not to comply.

I agree, and quite frankly I think another Winter lockdown will be a very hard sell this time, the time to get back to normal (2019 levels of normality) is now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

102 fan

I copied this from a Facebook reply to a news article about Covid rates in NI.

'Unvaxxed people should not be allowed into ICU....taking beds of people in need of emergency surgeries and transplant patients through their selfish attention seeking...stamp their heads with DNR and fire them into a skip..let nature take care of them!!'

I find that mindset very uncomfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:

island

Veteran Member
The Daily Mail (yes yes I know) said that Boris would not be minded to impose further lockdown measures with death rates under 1,000 a week. A second article noted that COVID is now only the 6th most common cause of death in the UK, behind dementia, cancer, strokes, heart disease, and normal flu.

Class 33

Established Member
There's an article that came out in the telegraph 2 days ago behind a paywall into why we're sleepwalking into another lockdown apparently.

I wouldn't take much notice of nonsense articles like these. Back around early July some of the media had headlines such as "Lockdown will return in 11 weeks time". A few days later this changed to "Lockdown will return in 5 WEEKS time". Then another had a "Covid restrictions will HAVE to return next month". Then another said "UK set for largest Covid infection wave yet". None of these things have happened! It's just nonsense scaremongering from all these so called "experts" and the press and media for publishing their nonsense!

Green tractor

'Unvaxxed people should not be allowed into ICU....taking beds of people in need of emergency surgeries and transplant patients through their selfish attention seeking...stamp their heads with DNR and fire them into a skip..let nature take care of them!!'

While I dont agree with that extreme view, if it came to an NHS capacity crunch I wouldn't be uncomfortable with the refusal to get vaccinated on anything other than sound medical grounds being taken into equal consideration along with other factors when it came to allocating NHS resources.

NorthKent1989

Established Member

Its a horrible school of thought, if this is the case then smokers, obese people and alcoholics shouldn’t get treatment on the NHS, since I’m sure they’re a much bigger burden than those unvaccinated against Covid.

Darandio

Established Member
While I dont agree with that extreme view, if it came to an NHS capacity crunch I wouldn't be uncomfortable with the refusal to get vaccinated on anything other than sound medical grounds being taken into equal consideration along with other factors when it came to allocating NHS resources.

But there is an NHS capacity crunch every single year. When this happens how far do you go? As noted above do we refuse certain obese people treatment because they chose to live an unhealthy lifestyle? Refuse treatment to smokers because of their life choice?

If that is the road that some people want our health service to go down then I despair for this country.

adc82140

Established Member
The NHS is struggling, but it has little to do with Covid. At one point at work on Friday we had 14 ambulances stacked outside A&E, and it was the same throughout most of the day. They dropped off just one patient at Covid Assessment all day.

Green tractor

But there is an NHS capacity crunch every single year. When this happens how far do you go? As noted above do we refuse certain obese people treatment because they chose to live an unhealthy lifestyle? Refuse treatment to smokers because of their life choice?

If that is the road that some people want our health service to go down then I despair for this country.
I'm not saying it should happen, just that I wouldn't have a problem if it did, and I'm not saying it should be a straight yes/no purely based on if you haven't had the vaccine. Decisions are taken on a daily basis on the NHS in the light of available resources, this is no different. We don't give alcoholics a unlimited number of liver transplants.

greyman42

Established Member

I would not take much notice about what you read on Facebook.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
I'm not saying it should happen, just that I wouldn't have a problem if it did, and I'm not saying it should be a straight yes/no purely based on if you haven't had the vaccine. Decisions are taken on a daily basis on the NHS in the light of available resources, this is no different. We don't give alcoholics a unlimited number of liver transplants.

By this logic then why should my taxes fund an organisation that sets conditions on whether I can use it or not? If that’s that case I’d rather not have my wages portioned off to the NHS if they set conditions for people

Green tractor

By this logic then why should my taxes fund an organisation that sets conditions on whether I can use it or not? If that’s that case I’d rather not have my wages portioned off to the NHS if they set conditions for people
It is a fact, NHS services are rationed based on various factors, do you think we should give alchoholics who don't sort themselves out unlimited liver transplants at the expense of other people?

NorthKent1989

Established Member
It is a fact, NHS services are rationed based on various factors, do you think we should give alchoholics who don't sort themselves out unlimited liver transplants at the expense of other people?

No, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t not treat them in some way either, I don’t want to live in a country where we are an uncaring, discriminatory one and there’s a big big difference between an alcoholic and someone who chooses not to be vaccinated, one is an addict the other is making a choice based on their personal choices and they shouldn’t be penalised for that, it’s okay having an “I’m alright Jack” outlook but sooner or later those people with that outlook will be inconvenienced.

sjpowermac

Established Member
I don’t believe that addiction of any sort is necessarily something a person can just ‘sort’. So, to answer your question, I’d offer an alcoholic help to overcome their addiction.

In addition, I’m not entirely sure that people become addicted to alcohol/drugs through choice. I’ve met people who have suffered from both and when you listen to their stories it’s sometimes heartbreaking, or at least, I find it to be so.

As I’ve mentioned previously (not that it’s really anyone’s business) I’m double jabbed and I do believe the vaccines are safe and effective.

Being ‘ok’ with not treating people because they are not vaccinated is a slippery slope.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It is a fact, NHS services are rationed based on various factors...
But not in the way you advocate; I think you are being disingenuous
I don’t believe that addiction of any sort is necessarily something a person can just ‘sort’. So, to answer your question, I’d offer an alcoholic help to overcome their addiction.

In addition, I’m not entirely sure that people become addicted to alcohol/drugs through choice. I’ve met people who have suffered from both and when you listen to their stories it’s sometimes heartbreaking, or at least, I find it to be so.

As I’ve mentioned previously (not that it’s really anyone’s business) I’m double jabbed and I do believe the vaccines are safe and effective.

Being ‘ok’ with not treating people because they are not vaccinated is a slippery slope.
I agree entirely.

Green tractor

What I was saying is that NHS services are rationed based on various factors, there will never be enough money for the NHS. I'm not saying we should deny alcoholics treatment, but if somebody continues to abuse alcohol after a transplant (or even after a second one) we have to draw the line somewhere, when there are other people waiting for a transplant.

The point I was making about unvaccinated people wasn't that they should be denied treatment purely because of it, but if it came to having to make difficult decisions on allocating NHS resources I wouldn't have a problem with it being one of the factors taken into consideration.

Bikeman78

Established Member
The Daily Mail (yes yes I know) said that Boris would not be minded to impose further lockdown measures with death rates under 1,000 a week. A second article noted that COVID is now only the 6th most common cause of death in the UK, behind dementia, cancer, strokes, heart disease, and normal flu.
I don't know anyone that has died of Covid. Aside from one person in their 90s, everyone that I've known who has died in the last decade has had cancer or a heart attack. Only one of them was over 60. Life sucks. Lots of people go before their time.

sjpowermac

Established Member
What I was saying is that NHS services are rationed based on various factors, there will never be enough money for the NHS. I'm not saying we should deny alcoholics treatment, but if somebody continues to abuse alcohol after a transplant (or even after a second one) we have to draw the line somewhere, when there are other people waiting for a transplant.

The point I was making about unvaccinated people wasn't that they should be denied treatment purely because of it, but if it came to having to make difficult decisions on allocating NHS resources I wouldn't have a problem with it being one of the factors taken into consideration.
If you are making a point then why not state it clearly from the start.

I disagree totally with the points you are making. So, let’s try a thought experiment.

Vaccinated Vince unfortunately catches Covid and requires a ventilator. Hesitant Henry also catches Covid and requires a ventilator. There’s only one ventilator. Now by your reasoning, Vaccinated Vince gets the ventilator, is that right?

Here’s the twist. Vaccinated Vince is an alcoholic who has had several liver transplants and doesn’t stand much of a chance of surviving, whereas Hesitant Henry is t-total and is highly likely to survive. Now who would you give the ventilator to?

If you don’t like that scenario, how about if Vaccinated Vince is a convicted mass murderer and Hesitant Henry is a law abiding citizen. You seem keen to allocate treatment based on decisions that people have made, so who would you choose this time?

I think in the first example, that probably is an example where triage would answer ‘let’s treat Henry’. Do you agree?

I think the second example illustrates a very slippery slope. I suspect many people would choose the law abiding citizen over the mass murderer, but how far do we take that? Supposing the murderer is now a reformed character?

Green tractor

Yes I would agree, The point about a criminal record wouldn't be relevant as I don't imagine NHS staff would have any knowledge of this anyway.

I'm not saying I think people should be denied treatment purely based on whether they have been vaccinated, but that in the case of a capacity crunch, equally alongside all other factors it could be a consideration. These decisions are taken in the NHS every day, and I'm glad its not me having to take them.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes I would agree, The point about a criminal record wouldn't be relevant as I don't imagine NHS staff would have any knowledge of this anyway.

I'm not saying I think people should be denied treatment purely based on whether they have been vaccinated, but that in the case of a capacity crunch, equally alongside all other factors it could be a consideration. These decisions are taken in the NHS every day, and I'm glad its not me having to take them.
You have effectively repeated what you said before and not addressed the matters raised by @sjpowermac

You are still saying it "could be a consideration" while appearing to agree with a post which gives good reasons why it probably can't be?

Green tractor

You have effectively repeated what you said before and not addressed the matters raised by @sjpowermac
I have agreed with SJ powermacs answer, and his reasoning. I have nerver said it should be a determining factor, just it could be taken into account alongside all the others.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member

I'm no medical expert, but surely the correct answer is "treat the person for whom the use of the ventilator is most likely to be succesful", or alternatively "don't treat the person who is at lower risk from not being placed on ventiliation".

In taking such a decision, there will be many, many health-related factors. It will not be binary, and it will not be black-and-white.

nw1

Established Member

If it genuinely comes down to treating one person and not another, they should never choose vaccination status as a deciding factor. It's much fairer to randomly pick one of the two if both cannot be saved. For the record I have been vaccinated, but treating the unvaccinated as second-class citizens in life-or-death situations is frighteningly dystopian to me.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
If it genuinely comes down to treating one person and not another, they should never choose vaccination status as a deciding factor. It's much fairer to randomly pick one of the two if both cannot be saved. For the record I have been vaccinated, but treating the unvaccinated as second-class citizens in life-or-death situations is frighteningly dystopian to me.

What if it is determined that the treatment is deemed much more likely to be effective/successful on the vaccinated person than the unvaccinated one, on medical grounds?

On the flip side, it could be the case that vaccination makes it less likely that ventilation is necessary for those with the vaccine, so that the non-vaccinated person could be prioritised.

nw1

Established Member
What if it is determined that the treatment is deemed much more likely to be effective/successful on the vaccinated person than the unvaccinated one, on medical grounds?

On the flip side, it could be the case that vaccination makes it less likely that ventilation is necessary for those with the vaccine, so that the non-vaccinated person could be prioritised.

OK if it is based genuinely on the likely effectiveness of treatment, that is a fair point - fair enough. However it should only be based on this, not on some kind of moral judgement.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
OK if it is based genuinely on the likely effectiveness of treatment, that is a fair point - fair enough. However it should only be based on this, not on some kind of moral judgement.

In any case, there are so many factors in such a decision (such as age, underlying conditions, etc) that vaccination status is unlikely to be a significant determinant anyway.

Cdd89

Established Member
Alternatively the choice could be between a vaccinated 60 year old and an unvaccinated 40 year old. Both have the same mortality risk.

sjpowermac

Established Member

Many thanks for your reply, greatly appreciated.

I completely agree with you about the decisions that Doctors have to take, I absolutely wouldn’t want to be in that position myself.

Incidentally, I wouldn’t like you to think that I’m getting at you. I read on one of your posts that you live with elderly parents, so I do fully understand your concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.