• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

More Northern Resist commuter protests today at Bolton

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Having lived in London for a number of years, this is a slur. Londoners are just as friendly as anyone else (even scousers): people judge on the basis of central London's anonymous crowds few of whom are actually Londoners. And I have heard Londoners shouting their thanks to bus drivers as they dismount, despite having to do so through the centre doors.
As I said, I think it's a stereotype encouraged by the Tube protocol. We're getting the centre doors buses now here in Reading and we have the same problem arising now with thanking the bus driver

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris217

I dont buy that any pay increases cost passengers their fare rises.
We had similar false claims at our company when they already made X amount of millions in profit year on year!
Maybe that's the side of increases Northern wont want to advertise!

.The problems that Northern suffer wont go away with another operator taking it over.
We will still have the same trains,same timetable or less,same terms or less for staff and passengers will continue to moan regardless.
My opinion seems to think that running a railway nowadays has become a monday to friday job like many other jobs with the option to work overtime at weekends.
If that is the case,how many people actually volunteer to work overtime at the weekends outside a restored working week to keep a full service going?
As it's usually weekends we see a lot of cancellations and that's what passengers notice most!
If those are the terms,and I could be wrong as I have stated that's just an opinion.
Then the terms would almost certainly have to change with another operator taking it over.
I am not saying any terms should be changed btw,as I work the same 5 days every week in my job and if I feel I want to work my rest days,I will,but only when it suits me.
That is the right of all staff even on the railway.
It's not only Northern I suspect that work to those terms though. I'm sure LNWR are in a similar position.

Not sure if drivers and guards work to a rota,or are rostered to work the same trains to a weekly plan.
Would be interesting to find out which and what their terms are for clarity.

A railway job that offers weekend rest days will always be attractive to new employees. Getting them to work weekends as well,that could be something else unless theres an incentive for people to work them.
Whatever the outcome,weekend work costs more.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think this thread has run its course.

It's very disappointing to hear people again trying to turn yet more threads into yet more "north vs south" arguments; this is most unwelcome. If anyone really thinks there is any benefit to discussing such topics further and wishes to add anything that has not already been said before and genuinely adds value to the forum, this should be in a new thread and not in a manner that makes existing threads go off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.