• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

More police misbehaviour: are they trying to deliberately wind the public up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
And Mr J is saying that the 3rd wave in the EU 'will wash up on our shores, we cannot stop that' so does that mean June 21st is / maybe out of the Window, or another lockdown
Well, maybe this is a clue of the direction we are headed in...

UK Government has awarded a £2m contract, in Northern Ireland, for a two year continuation of subliminal prominent advertising around coronavirus messaging to the general public. Can’t yet locate a similar one, but unless they think the virus is going to be extinct in non-Ireland parts of the UK, it looks like restrictions are planned to continue until at least 2023 !!!

The Executive Office requires the immediate appointment of an advertising contractor to build on and continue to deliver a multimedia advertising campaign on COVID-19. The contract duration is for two years commencing on 1 April 2021. The maximum budget is £2 million exclusive of VAT.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
It honestly doesn’t feel like there is any way out of this nightmare. Scare stories about more variants in full swing today.

And they are just that, scare stories to try and keep everyone battered into submission.

Of course there are ways out of it, many just refuse to accept it but really need to. Have July 31st as an absolute end date and make sure every adult is offered the vaccine, then open up. If the vaccines don't do the job then it was never meant to be, we'll just have to let it proceed naturally.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I saw the phrase 'kill the bill', my first thought was: bill = old bill, police.

Apparently it was meant to mean bill = proposed law. An unfortunate slogan, I think. No need even to 'kill' an unjust proposal. 'Stop the deform*' might have been a more appropriate slogan.

* deform: opposite to reform.

bramling

Veteran Member
And Mr J is saying that the 3rd wave in the EU 'will wash up on our shores, we cannot stop that' so does that mean June 21st is / maybe out of the Window, or another lockdown in August sometime ?

But surely the difference is we have the vaccine now.

This whole thing seems a bit like a juggernaut that’s out of control. Everyone fussing round it, but no one actually thinking to put the brakes on.

At some point we *have* to move on, we’re already at the point where even if we snap out of it now we are going to be left with significant damage to what we originally had 13 months ago.

Class 33

Established Member
And Mr J is saying that the 3rd wave in the EU 'will wash up on our shores, we cannot stop that' so does that mean June 21st is / maybe out of the Window, or another lockdown in August sometime ?

There's just no way they'll be able to bring another lockdown in August! What when, hospital numbers and deaths will be absolutely miniscule by then?! Even by 21st June hospital numbers and deaths will be absolutely miniscule, and they'll have no valid justifications for any of these ridiculous restrictions to continue!

I can't believe Johnson himself is coming up with scare stories about a 3rd wave will wash up on our shores which we can not stop! Has he completely forgot the effects the millions of vaccines are having??!! I hope when there is another press conference with him(possibly tomorrow) that some of the journalists challenge him on what he is saying! But they probably won't!

bramling

Veteran Member
It honestly doesn’t feel like there is any way out of this nightmare. Scare stories about more variants in full swing today.

For a pretty significant proportion of the population they’re already out of it, in that they are getting on with life as best they can, the only restrictions they’re subject to are easy stuff like 2 metres where possible, masks to keep the peace, and obviously not being able to patronise places which are closed. People are absolutely not following “stay at home”.

Yet there’s certainly a core of people who are now bordering on hysterical, how we need to keep “tough” restrictions on an essentially open-ended basis. Any milestone that state as an end-game seems to get moved to the right at the point where that milestone looks like it might be achieved. Going into Boots today where there was a queue of about 30 people for prescriptions, I can see absolutely no convincing argument why non-essential shops should still be closed - my town centre is absolutely packed especially when the sun is out, so keeping such shops closed is not encouraging people to stay at home, they’re coming out regardless, and crowding into the remaining ones.

We badly need strong leadership and string opposition, and we have neither.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I saw the phrase 'kill the bill', my first thought was: bill = old bill, police.

Apparently it was meant to mean bill = proposed law. An unfortunate slogan, I think. No need even to 'kill' an unjust proposal. 'Stop the deform*' might have been a more appropriate slogan.

* deform: opposite to reform.

That was my first interpretation too. And I'm only just old enough to know "The Bill" on ITV.

brad465

Established Member
That could turn out to be an issue with these protests, yes - and it is very worrying. As the government are supporting the bill as well (obviously), there is opportunity for this to go to far. What needs to happen is people to be arrested and charged under current law to show this isn't legal even now, though I doubt that will happen.

Torching Police cars and breaking officer's bones is not the answer to anything - breaking the law in protests against further protesting restrictions will most likely backfire.
This article implies they will be going after many suspects and arresting as many as possible, with particular emphasis on the investigation leading to "the largest number of images for wanted suspects in the force's history", so hopefully what you say needs to happen will:

Police are scouring an "enormous amount" of footage and have vowed to make more arrests after violence at a Kill the Bill protest in Bristol.

Protesters clashed with officers as thousands turned out for the march on Sunday.

Eight people have already been arrested after 20 officers were injured.

Avon and Somerset Police said the investigation could result in the largest number of images for wanted suspects in the force's history.

Earlier Home Secretary Priti Patel accused some protesters of "thuggery" and Bristol's mayor said the rioters were "selfish".

One of the injured officers suffered a punctured lung, with the chairman of the local Police Federation saying the actions of some of the rioters were "close to attempted murder".

Of the eight people arrested so far, six were detained for violent disorder and two for possession of an offensive weapon.

Det Ch Supt Carolyn Belafonte said CCTV footage, body-worn camera videos and social media coverage were being studied along with photographs.

the sniper

Established Member
I thought the most interesting thing about Bristol was how brazen/foolish/high those taking part were. Most faces were barely disguised, if at all. Maybe they got too confident after the Colston statue affair... Bristol isn't a big place.

I guess they thought once they'd overthrown the Avon & Somerset Police regime it wouldn't matter.

Last edited:

squizzler

Established Member
I thought the most interesting thing about Bristol was how brazen/foolish/high those taking part were.
Frankly, my confidence in the UK government is at such at low ebb that I would not be surprised were I to learn it was false flag operation to keep the public fearful. Where did all these so-called rioters who infiltrated the protest come from, and how did they know where and when to assemble?

Assuming that anarchists were actually somehow organised to all travel to Bristol in the middle of a lockdown, you think the police would be monitoring the relevant forums and be clued up if something were going down. In which case they let it happen because it was politically expedient.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Frankly, my confidence in the UK government is at such at low ebb that I would not be surprised were I to learn it was false flag operation to keep the public fearful. Where did all these so-called rioters who infiltrated the protest come from, and how did they know where and when to assemble?
I’ll be honest; I’ve seen a lot of commentators (conservative leaning ones, mind), that this time last week, were talking about how awful the proposed restrictions on protests are, who now today are supportive of the legislation, because of this protest. Never mind the fact that the actions last night are already illegal...

LAX54

Established Member
If that turned out to be the case, what they hell are we vaccinating for? Or do we then need another lockdown to protect the tiny minority who either couldn't have or refused the vaccine. If we went down that road then it truly never ends, say goodbye to everything we knew as a life before March 2020.
As said we need to say enough is enough, we cannot keep hiding in the corner, life is a risk, from the day we are born, so lets just get on with it......and not just the UK

the sniper

Established Member

Assuming that anarchists were actually somehow organised to all travel to Bristol in the middle of a lockdown, you think the police would be monitoring the relevant forums and be clued up if something were going down. In which case they let it happen because it was politically expedient.

Jeez, how far down the rabbit hole do you need to be to bare reading this section of the forum... I don't even know where to start.

You do realise you can in reality just go where you like on mainland GB, particularly with a car? The chances of even seeing a Police officer are small, being stopped, incredibly small. In the highly unlikely event you get stopped, you'd either get words of advice or a small fine. Are people here so paranoid because they're keyboard bound and obsessed by social media? It's not like Bristol itself isn't known for having its more radical elements.

While RailUK may be pretty radical, you'll be surprised to hear that the AnarchistUK forum isn't so obvious... On the Police letting it happen because it was 'politically expedient', was this dictate only delivered to Avon & Somerset...? We've had a week of hearing that the Police should be more hands off with these righteous protestors, now we're saying Avon & Somerset should have clamped down sooner! Dammed if you do, damned if you don't...

But yeah, MI5 are engaged in a false flag operation to make Avon & Somerset Police look silly, again, after they also took down the Coulson statue. The people of Britain are quaking in their boots now a bunch of stoners have burnt a Police van. Who ever it is at MI5 who was riding the skateboard around the burning van and smashing the Police station windows should be particularly feared for their mad skills.

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member
Jeez, how far down the rabbit hole do you need to be to bare reading this section of the forum... I don't even know where to start.

You do realise you can in reality just go where you like on mainland GB, particularly with a car? The chances of even seeing a Police officer are small, being stopped, incredibly small. In the highly unlikely event you get stopped, you'd either get words of advice or a small fine. Are people here so paranoid because they're keyboard bound and obsessed by social media? It's not like Bristol itself isn't known for having its more radical elements.

While RailUK may be pretty radical, you'll be surprised to hear that the AnarchistUK forum isn't so obvious... On the Police letting it happen because it was 'politically expedient', was this dictate only delivered to Avon & Somerset...? We've had a week of hearing that the Police should be more hands off with these righteous protestors, now we're saying Avon & Somerset should have clamped down sooner! Dammed if you do, damned if you don't...

But yeah, MI5 are engaged in a false flag operation to make Avon & Somerset Police look silly, again, after they also took down the Coulson statue. The people of Britain are quaking in their boots now a bunch of stoners have burnt a Police van. Who ever it is at MI5 who was riding the skateboard around the burning van should be particularly feared for their mad skills.

All this is the result of shoddy leadership. They've allowed the country to get in to a dire mess as a result of their cack-handed "leadership". We have one set of people who seem to relish the concept of living under "tough" restrictions, another subset who hold their nose just to pass someone else in a footpath, more who don't want to go to work seemingly ever again, now some nasty protests starting to bubble up (to be honest I'm surprised it's taken this long), and of course strings of people redundant because their employer or own business has gone bust. Then there's scenes of police officers jeering at a man walking his dog in a large spacious park, and some pretty creepy scenes where people have been challenged by police over masks. And the latest thing is you're a granny-killer if you dare to enter Morrisons without a mask, but it's somehow okay if you put on a sticker of all things. Meanwhile every time there's been a promise made by the political leaders about when we move on, it never quite seems to happen.

With all this going on, it's no surprise some people are starting to get jittery about just where all this is heading.

I don't necessarily subscribe to the conspiracy theories, after all our political system at present seems too incompetent to design a conspiracy, though of course Dominic Cummings is supposed to identify as an anarchist, so if that's the behind-the-scenes motivation they're certainly achieving it.

The best we can all hope for at the moment is that nothing goes awry with the vaccines, as if it does we are properly screwed with the current political leadership.

I hope this isn't too much of a rant, just I don't feel we're heading in the right direction at the moment.

Last edited:

squizzler

Established Member
Didn't stop you trying, LOL. In fact false flag operations are a very common tactic in totalitarian countries, and the UK is rapidly heading in that direction as the last poster just implied.

Whilst not an authority on the sort of injuries police officers are likely to sustain in civil disturbances, the sort of things I read about happening in riots tend to be misfortunate stuff like officers getting hit by thrown objects, horse startled by crowd and throwing its rider, etc. The personal and up close assaults against police reported here seem to myself more consistent with those trained and well versed in the use of violence rather than just some hoodlums out to smash stuff up.

the sniper

Established Member
I don't necessarily subscribe to the conspiracy theories, after all our political system at present seems too incompetent to design a conspiracy

Unfortunately some peoples belief in Government/Police incompetence conveniently only stretches to the point just short of them being able to carry out convoluted, clandestine operations against 'the people' with impunity, which we're led to believe they're constantly carrying out, because the two concepts are entirely at odds and it ruins the narrative.

Didn't stop you trying, LOL. In fact false flag operations are a very common tactic in totalitarian countries, and the UK is rapidly heading in that direction as the last poster just implied.

Whilst not an authority on the sort of injuries police officers are likely to sustain in civil disturbances, the sort of things I read about happening in riots tend to be misfortunate stuff like officers getting hit by thrown objects, horse startled by crowd and throwing its rider, etc. The personal and up close assaults against police reported here seem to myself more consistent with those trained and well versed in the use of violence rather than just some hoodlums out to smash stuff up.

Bro, I'm telling you, guy on the Skateboard. Definitely a Fed. Mad skills...

bramling

Veteran Member
Unfortunately some peoples belief in Government/Police incompetence conveniently only stretches to the point just short of them being able to carry out convoluted, clandestine operations against 'the people' with impunity, which we're led to believe they're constantly carrying out, because the two concepts are entirely at odds and it ruins the narrative.

Agreed. I don't think we're heading towards something unpleasant by design, however I'm definitely starting to feel we're sleepwalking there.

I don't think the police are the biggest problem though, it's the current crop of politicians.

Wuffle

Given what's happened at other mainly peaceful protests I believe some went with the express intent to fight back id the police became heavy handed, which it appeared some did. After last years complete failing to police the BLM and XR protests at all this might be a case of "Reap what you Sow"
I have seen reports of "Agent Provocateurs" who encouraged or inflamed the crowd and who then disappeared into the police ranks
given the existence of the "Nudge Units" nothing would surprise me and of course the Government benefits as another piece of shoddy legislation is passed

squizzler

Established Member
I don't necessarily subscribe to the conspiracy theories
Neither do I. Unfortunately the taunt "conspiracy theory" is something that most right thinking people shy away from and an effective taunt to shut down reasoned discussion. In fact any conjecture as to the motive of the rioters remains a theory until they are rounded up and we learn wore about who they were and why they did it. That left wing types who originally gathering to protest the new policing bill conspired to attack a cop-shop is currently a theory, which makes it a conspiracy theory.
I agree this is illogical and needs to be called out. But the contrarians tell us the "protestors" are feckless hippies on one hand and yet able to organise a battle against the police despite the knowledge of the latter there was a lawful protest planned and the latter presumably having intelligence networks to monitor known troublemakers. That a bunch of peacenik types are suddenly capable of deploying violence as skilfully as seasoned football "firms" or those who are seasoned in physical force that the officers on the front line have not seen before and had them fearing for their lives. That the affray is done in the name of protecting civil rights that will surely be harmed by the events. etc, etc.
Bro, I'm telling you, guy on the Skateboard. Definitely a Fed. Mad skills...
Look over there, there's somebody on a skateboard! Still I must defer to your superior knowledge of what goes down on the streets, since you address people "bro".

Skimpot flyer

Established Member

You may be correct...

Attachments

• 53E9917E-E708-4B34-9797-9AB91BEBE0BE.jpeg
    53E9917E-E708-4B34-9797-9AB91BEBE0BE.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 2B32351F-FE80-435B-9633-59BB759CB444.png
    2B32351F-FE80-435B-9633-59BB759CB444.png
    334 KB · Views: 119

squizzler

Established Member
You may be correct...
I would be a little reticent in jumping to conclusions from those screen grabs. In fact the piece of legislation (cropped and thus out of context) in the first image suggests that the police do not need an MOT for their cars if they have the facilities to maintain them in house. Like you shouldn't take what you read in the press at face value, you should query social media posts, especially when it appears to confirm your own views...

Dai Corner

Established Member
I would be a little reticent in jumping to conclusions from those screen grabs. In fact the piece of legislation (cropped and thus out of context) in the first image suggests that the police do not need an MOT for their cars if they have the facilities to maintain them in house. Like you shouldn't take what you read in the press at face value, you should query social media posts, especially when it appears to confirm your own views...
Was the car pictured even at the scene on Sunday? I've only seen pictures of a police van on fire.

takno

Established Member
Was the car pictured even at the scene on Sunday? I've only seen pictures of a police van on fire.
I saw pictures of at least two different police vehicles on fire. Didn't take down their numberplates as I was watching the news

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I can confirm that the car was definitely at the scene in Bristol. Screenshot is from live stream on YouTube, posted by Subject Access

Yew

Established Member
That's still a very new car, and in any case, the idea of not taking your shiny new 21 plate BMW to a protest seems like common sense. Protests are the perfect place for an old Vauxhall Astra.

Wuffle

Police Vehicles are exempt from MOT because "they are serviced and maintained by police garages to a higher standard"

Remember that the next time you see one with a defective light

the sniper

Established Member
Almost got a more palatable version of 'the truth' there chaps, keep diggin, you might get them all off the hook yet...

I agree this is illogical and needs to be called out. But the contrarians tell us the "protestors" are feckless hippies on one hand and yet able to organise a battle against the police despite the knowledge of the latter there was a lawful protest planned and the latter presumably having intelligence networks to monitor known troublemakers. That a bunch of peacenik types are suddenly capable of deploying violence as skilfully as seasoned football "firms" or those who are seasoned in physical force that the officers on the front line have not seen before and had them fearing for their lives. That the affray is done in the name of protecting civil rights that will surely be harmed by the events. etc, etc.

They couldn't even tip the van over... I've never personally known a 'football firm' attempt to write off a Police vehicle personally, maybe I'm too young. But I've known of school age kids who've managed it.

It's not easy to herd cats, that's not to say cats are collectively master tacticians.

Essentially the damage/disorder was largely limited to one area, even without kettling, which was largely forced out of practice here by public opinion. A&S looked undermanned and underprepared, again, but as such those on the ground did what they could under the circumstances and limitations of modern sitting target Public Order policing. I'd imagine though that there won't be a PSU between Bristol, Penzance and Pembrokeshire not mutually aided into Bristol next time there's a protest under similar pretences. When it kicks off then it'll be the Police's fault again, but this time for a 'disproportionate response' due to the numbers being bit more balanced.

That's still a very new car

Not by most fleet standards.

Last edited:

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
After reading about how the Met infiltrated left-wing groups using false identities I can sadly well believe that they might organise unrest.

I do try to be friendly to the police though, I recently thanked one who was getting bored waiting out in the weather, watching a demo with nothing to do. Not sure what he made of me.

I imagine the police do a lot of good work, I can certainly imagine situations where I should be very glad of their presence.

Just read in the Guardian: police claims that officers dealing with the disturbances in Bristol suffered broken bones have been retracted. What injuries did they suffer, if any?

Last edited:

brad465

Established Member
A third day in less than week for Bristol protesting now:

A stand-off between protesters and police is under way in the centre of Bristol.

Hundreds of people gathered earlier in the afternoon for another Kill the Bill protest.

But many of them have started a sit-down protest in front of a line of police near Bridewell Police Station.

Police urged protesters to go home, adding "all necessary and proportionate enforcement action will be taken".

Officers in riot gear have blocked off the road to the police station which was vandalised on Sunday.

Many of the protesters, who have been sat for about an hour, chanted for police to lower their riot shields.

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.View original tweet on Twitter

Earlier, the city's main bus company halted services through the city centre to avoid the protest.

The first demonstration held last Sunday started off peacefully but descended into disorder.

Avon and Somerset Police estimated there were at least 300 protesters, and said that mounted police and dog units had been deployed.

Protesters chanted "ten years for protest, five years for rape" and "justice for Sarah", referring to the recent murder of Sarah Everard who went missing while walking home in London.

Status
Not open for further replies.