• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

More wildlife on the Underground

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Following on from some recent threads involving wildlife of various sorts on the rail system, I thought this might be of interest:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00tv35h

Its a clip from a forthcoming BBC programme entitled 'The Unnatural History Of London' (main link http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01k784h) which features pigeons apparently using the Underground to save a bit of flying.

Cameraman for this sequence was Mat Thompson, and for those interested in technical details, the floor level shots were taken on Canon 5D and 7D DSLRs, which are permissible for a certain percentage of HD broadcast programme content. Most of the programme was shot on Panasonic Varicams which are a bit unwieldy for this kind of thing.

Railway photographers using DSLRs for video should feel encouraged by this clip, however it should be pointed out that that the audio is recorded on a separate system so don't expect this quality if you use the built in mic!

EDIT: Apologies for to all (esp. Mods!) for originally posting in the wrong forum.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
I don't know why the BBC refer to this as a "new phenomena"! I used to go to South Kensington a lot in the late 1950s to visit the Science Museum during the school holidays and the pigeons were using the underground then!

Giugiaro

Pity the video is not working right now, but have seen some amateur shots.

Simply funny and interesting! Maybe because public transport is so common in London that pigeons have gotten used to then, even adventuring on-board.

That's is definitively something very unusual here in Oporto! There are some pigeons in São Bento, but never spotted one boarding a train! :lol:

Giugiaro

Given the fact that S Stock have some pretty noisy doors when opening, it'll be for sure a scary moment for pigeons, unless the S's have their doors open for a while.

causton

Established Member
Given the fact that S Stock have some pretty noisy doors when opening, it'll be for sure a scary moment for pigeons, unless the S's have their doors open for a while.

The doors automatically close after 45 seconds. I wonder if the sensors are sensitive enough to detect a pigeon in the way of the door closing? :o

Aictos

Established Member
The doors automatically close after 45 seconds. I wonder if the sensors are sensitive enough to detect a pigeon in the way of the door closing? :o

Be messy if it doesn't!!!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The pigeons at Hammersmith seem to react to the train being prepared for departure and as soon as the door circuit is cut back in they fly straight into the train in the opposite platform!

Status
Not open for further replies.