• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mornington Crescent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DasLunatic

Landing gear down and ILS glide scope intercepted. One move until I win and two until the Swords wear out.

Euxton Balshaw Lane

DasLunatic

Swords of Revealing Light traps all other players in Nidd, with their turns only advancing the game (the move doesn't do anything). And with the approach complete, I can touchdown and win at Mornington Crescent and get 100 points for Slytherin.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sadly due to a fault with the ILS you did in fact crash land into a nearby field scaring a large herd of cows so your last move is invalid due to the Convention on Bovine Rights 1954 (As amended 1955, 61, 62, 78, 81, 82, 83, 84, 97 & 99) clearly stating that any action which causes a cow to take fright places a player immediately in Nidd for at least three moves.

So I'll play Barking.

DasLunatic

*ahem* Swords of Revealing Light, as played above?

Hold on - with all of us trapped in Nidd, what happens now?

Established Member
Having kept out of this argument, I'm able to move slightly west from Barking and play

Upton Park

(Hopefully that won't be ruled offside)

Last edited:

DasLunatic

For you maybe... I am yet to use the Llangadog Perjorative and cross your block. I can then play Mornington Crescent!

TheEdge

Established Member
Nice try but for the obvious reasons I don't need to go into thats clearly void and the next move is Oxford Circus

backontrack

Established Member
For you maybe... I am yet to use the Llangadog Perjorative and cross your block. I can then play Mornington Crescent!

You seem very keen to win, young man. To make so many attempts which you know are incorrect lays waste to the natural flow of the game, distorting it beyond recognition. Please consult your guide next time, and stop this foolishness.

Mayfair.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't think you do...

swords_of_revealing_light_by_kienctn15-d8kdpbf.jpg

...and this leaves you all trapped in Nidd for three turns.

THIS WAS VOID PLAY.

I had in fact laid down the Park Lane Title Deed card. To suggest that I had a card that I didn't is dishonest in the ultimate.

This puts play out of Nidd, except it no longer does because Mayfair puts you all straight back in again, ha ha!

DasLunatic

How is countering a Deed with a spell card foul and void play?

According to my Yuletide Rulebook:
MC Intermediate Yuletide Variants for More Than Four Player Games - Chapter 154 (12 Days Variant) said:
If a Player plays a Monopoly Card (deed) you must counter using:
- a Spell Card
- a parallel tetrahedral block
- a deed of higher value
If you are unable to block, you must move to Haslemere. If Haslemere has already been claimed, you must go to Nidd

Because I wanted to keep myself out of Nidd, I had to counter. I had no deeds at all and a parallel tetrahedral block was impossible. Therefore, my only response was to use Swords of Revealing Light to banish everyone to Nidd.

There. Does that explain everything?

(oops, forgot to make my move)
I shall take a safety shot and go to Ingatestone.

We also have a second game running in the forum FF League - a new game has just started here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...eS5rQBP3mXMbXoFcV6FPkv7N0/edit#gid=1175210972

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I am not sure about all this - could we have someone consult the Almanac please? I was certain that MC was blocked there; I've never seen anyone manage to get to MC from Clapham Common in all the years I've been playing!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've checked Wisden and I can confirm that MC was indeed blocked and you cannot get to it from Clapham Common.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Wisden wasn't the correct authority to use here, although I can see why you thought it was.

Whilst there is no doubt that the move is incorrect I think you'll find that it was incorrectly sequenced rather than that is was blocked. Important to get the terminology right on these things!

deltic

Established Member
I feel the need to go east - Lermontovsky Prospekt is calling me in the snow - Samantha always say a good rub helps when you're feeling the cold

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Wisden wasn't the correct authority to use here, although I can see why you thought it was.

Whilst there is no doubt that the move is incorrect I think you'll find that it was incorrectly sequenced rather than that is was blocked. Important to get the terminology right on these things!

I'm not sure what authority you think supersedes Wisden so I'm going to have to call a foul on that. Can you provide the actual authority that should have been used?

Meanwhile as for your second paragraph I'm sure you can see why that is a bunch of old cobblers.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I'm not sure what authority you think supersedes Wisden so I'm going to have to call a foul on that. Can you provide the actual authority that should have been used?

Meanwhile as for your second paragraph I'm sure you can see why that is a bunch of old cobblers.

Now, now, there's no need for that.

We should be using Widsen - your Baker Street on Day 4 sent us this way, Wisden's original grid doesn't cover the Post-Prandial situation otherwise.

Whilst I may have overlooked the lack of Haslemere it is still straightforward to see that calling it as blocked is incorrect. We would have needed ice for that, for crying out loud!

deltic

Established Member

Surely depends what version of the game you are playing - I find the Doomsday Book if playing pre-19th rules, Charles Booth if you want to avoid "Vicious - Semi-Criminal" stations, Bradshaw for pre-1947 rules, Old Moores Alamanac for post 2018 rules, and EU Non-linear Commercial Design Directive 612/854/ for the European version all very useful. However as we are playing the festive version of the game I thought Dicken's Christmas Carol was the key authority

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We should be using Widsen - your Baker Street on Day 4 sent us this way, Wisden's original grid doesn't cover the Post-Prandial situation otherwise.

I only played Baker Street as the only other choice was for everyone to end up in Nidd so don't blame this on me. And I think you'll find that if you use the updated Wisden (i.e. the 1896 edition) you'll find that it doesn't cover the Post-Prandial situation as that has been replaced by the Pre-Heuristic phase. So, that resolves that I'm sure you'll agree!

Whilst I may have overlooked the lack of Haslemere it is still straightforward to see that calling it as blocked is incorrect. We would have needed ice for that, for crying out loud!

Ice?! I thought this was the Twelve Days version! In which case the appropriate medium would be Sand and therefore Haslemere is irrelevant the key issue is Mordon!

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I only played Baker Street as the only other choice was for everyone to end up in Nidd so don't blame this on me.
Personally I would have played Edgware Road in that situation. Keeps everyone that matters out of Nidd but also sets you up for collecting the bonus pot when trains to Paddington recommenced two days later. It's not my fault if you didn't think of that!

And I think you'll find that if you use the updated Wisden (i.e. the 1896 edition) you'll find that it doesn't cover the Post-Prandial situation as that has been replaced by the Pre-Heuristic phase. So, that resolves that I'm sure you'll agree!
No, no, no! Were you not listening when I pointed out the incorrect sequencing earlier?!

Ice?! I thought this was the Twelve Days version! In which case the appropriate medium would be Sand and therefore Haslemere is irrelevant the key issue is Mordon!
Mordon is the key issue regardless, but I'm puzzled by your insistence that Sand is the medium. You're looking at the Original and Updated, yes? I couldn't find Sand in the glossary.

I thought this was going to be simple to sort out...

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Personally I would have played Edgware Road in that situation. Keeps everyone that matters out of Nidd but also sets you up for collecting the bonus pot when trains to Paddington recommenced two days later. It's not my fault if you didn't think of that!

And who decides who 'matters'? I felt it more important that everyone is kept out of Nidd to ensure that everyone can the enjoy game. If that costs me personally then so be it. I mean really attacking someone for helping others what is the world coming to!

No, no, no! Were you not listening when I pointed out the incorrect sequencing earlier?!

Yes, yes, yes! I was listening and as I said then and I am saying now the sequencing is irrelevant and it's the blocking that's the issue. Anyone even passingly conversant with the rules can see that.

Mordon is the key issue regardless

Hallelujah we agree on something!

I'm puzzled by your insistence that Sand is the medium.

When Jupiter is in retrograde, Voyager 2 is outside of the Solar System and the year begins or ends with the number 7 then your choice of mediums is limited to Sand, Fire, Water, Pizza and Gravel.

In this situation Sand is the clear choice.

You're looking at the Original and Updated, yes? I couldn't find Sand in the glossary.

Original, Updated and Amended! You need that version of Wisden. Come on it's right there on page 1092 paragraph 8.6.

I thought this was going to be simple to sort out...

Well if people will insist on flagrant disregard of the rules...

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
And who decides who 'matters'? I felt it more important that everyone is kept out of Nidd to ensure that everyone can the enjoy game. If that costs me personally then so be it. I mean really attacking someone for helping others what is the world coming to!
You can't help everyone all the time - Edgware Road would have sustained more people for longer. The current situation we have with everyone dropping in and out of Nidd every third move that isn't a multiple of 7 came about because people like you were making antisocially soft moves. You should have considered the long term impact but it is far too late for regrets now.
Yes, yes, yes! I was listening and as I said then and I am saying now the sequencing is irrelevant and it's the blocking that's the issue. Anyone even passingly conversant with the rules can see that.
WHAT BLOCKING? There is no blocking! How could you even think there was blocking!!!
Hallelujah we agree on something!
There is no need to be bitter about it.
When Jupiter is in retrograde, Voyager 2 is outside of the Solar System and the year begins or ends with the number 7 then your choice of mediums is limited to Sand, Fire, Water, Pizza and Gravel.
I've found the rule you're trying to apply, and I think I've worked out what your mistake is - you need to write the year backwards, and in hexadecimal. And recheck the phasing of Jupiter.
Original, Updated and Amended! You need that version of Wisden. Come on it's right there on page 1092 paragraph 8.6.
You are starting to really confuse me with this talk of Wisden. The Amended uses Widsen exclusively, because her trigonometric tables work better in the late game. I had assumed you thought we were using OU because of Widsen (and lets be honest, they're a good approximation unless there's exponential phasing) but now you reveal you think we're using OUA I just don't know what to think.
How dare you! If you continue to fling such language around I will have to report you to a moderator!

backontrack

Established Member

How dare you! If you continue to fling such language around I will have to report you to a moderator!

Calm down Ladies, this is setting out to be even worse than the time when an inebriated Barry Cryer started a physical contretemps in a bar with a Mr Brooke-Taylor over a misplaced Austworth's Gambit. I want you pair to reconcile here on this thread or you shall have your TravelPasses withdrawn at Holborn. And may the wrath of Humph rain down on you.

I shall have to play pacifier and lay down the law. City Road.

Now, kiss and make up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.