Mortons Media acquires Silver Link Publishing

Discussion in 'Memorabilia, Media & Publications' started by theblackwatch, 11 Sep 2019.

1. theblackwatch

theblackwatch Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I see that Mortons Media (publishers of The Railway Magazine, Rail Express and Heritage Railway) has acquired Silver Link Publishing. Certainly puts them towards the top of the league in the railway publishing world as Ian Allan once was. I do enjoy the 'Past and Present' series of books which Silver Link has done for many years although I do wonder if they have run out of areas to cover now.

https://www.therailwayhub.co.uk/7424/next-stop-for-silver-link-publishing-mortons-books/

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. swanhill41

swanhill41 Member

SLP has never been for me as a railway enthusiast been of much interest...It has over the years followed a populist path ,virtually excluding any written text,going for the illustrated angle,in particular with the Past and Present series...Very much aimed at the populist market...Problem with P&P is that they are out of date when published as evidenced by update/impressions they did...Some of the large format books were quite good,though could be let down by poor repro of original pictures.Very flat.
    Believe the death of rail book club about 5/6 years ago did some damage to turnover as they sold a lot by that means ?...Explained pricing of £30 ,yours for £9 etc.
    It seems that Morton is setting up a sort of bookclub,if you look at website...SLP's large catalogue will and is I think a major factor in the purchase...Good titles easily sold to the low to mid market enthusiast...Lightmoor,no need to worry !
    The other primary reason for sale is the retirement of another publisher from the old school...Virtually no one left,as IA,WSP ,Oakwood etc have all been sold on.
    Irwell is probably last one standing from that era.
    Time never stands still!

4. swanhill41

swanhill41 Member

Oh by the way the overall name used for rail book division?....."GRESLEY BOOKS"