• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most beautiful train outside the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
With having a thread dedicated to the most beautiful train in the UK, it felt appropriate to have one for non-British trains. There are many worthy designs of trains in other countries, so what are your favourites?

Mine:

Steam - NYC J3a Hudson
Diesel - SNCF CC72000
Electric - DB Class 103
EMU - either the original TGV Sud-Est or the SBB RAe TEE II

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TRAX

Established Member
More of this ! I like it.

Steam: still not into it, sorry.

Diesel or bi-mode locomotive: GE Evolution Series (diesel) (North America).

Electric locomotives: (not in any particular order) BB 26000 (France), 2ЭС7 (Russia), ЭП20 (Russia), Siemens EuroSprinter (Class 189) (Europe), Škoda E109 (Europe) - I must me forgetting some machines I really enjoy seeing.

DMUs and BMUs: B 85000 (France) (BMU) - is that all ? I must be forgetting some.

EMUs: (again, no particular order here) Siemens Desiro RUS (Russia), Stadler Kiss I (Europe), M7 (United States), MF 01 (Paris Metro), Newag Impuls I (Europe), MI 09 (France), Z 50000 (France), Siemens Desiro ML (Europe), Class 483/484 (Germany), MX3000 (Oslo Metro). Aaaand again I must’ve left some behind.

On Moderation
Siemens ES64U2 “Taurus” locomotives. Just a fabulous design.

duesselmartin

Established Member
Steam. German 38 class
Diesel Irish 141 class
Electric. Former Belgian Alsthom 16 Class
EMU Italy'' FS 450 Pendolino
DMU Danish IC3 DMU.

Electric : Amtrak ACS64 and Pennsylvania GG1
Diesel : Alco PA and Via Rail LRC
Gas Turbine : Union Pacific 4500hp

superjohn

DMU Danish IC3 DMU.
Really??? I’ve always thought they looked like giant sink plungers! Same goes for the Belgian units with rubber ring front ends.

I find the German class 120 has a well proportioned angular look. The Swiss class 460 looks good too.

MarcVD

Electric. Former Belgian Alsthom 16 Class

You mean this one ?

3063358607_1_15_Uxg7cdV8.jpg

In this case, nothing to do with Alsthom. Builders were ACEC and Brugeoise&Nivelles (now Bombardier).

In my opinion :

Steam : SNCF 232U1
Electric : DB 103 or SNCF CC6500
Diesel : DB V200 or all Nohab/AFB european locs
EMU : SBB RAe
DMU : SNCF turbotrains

Last edited:

stut

Established Member
The Darth Vader trains? Please tell me you are joking...

Not at all! I love that kind of kitsch futurism. It's not just the nose either - the windows, the interiors...

If we're going classic, though, what about the lovely old French X4500s now over in Romania?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
561009871heyc18856gs8756.jpg

There's something about these I just love.

Shame they were all scrapped on dieselisation, and that they never really got to show their full potential speed-wise unlike the streamliners of the Milwaukee which most certainly did.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
EMU: I think the new 250km/h Stadlers for SBB take some beating. I'd definitely FLIRT with that! :D

ac2126f70628fccbffe4b44c2f93e362.jpg

Stadler EC250

Alfonso

Beauty isn't always on the outside. I find the bar or restaurant car of most trains a thing of beauty. Special mention goes to any train on a scenic route, any train with local/national character/food and drink, any train with a happy hour, any train with glass glasses, metal cutlery and proper plates. Top marks to Thalys for Belgian beer, SBB for Swissness, DB ICEs and ICs for Weissbeir and draught Beck's, and pretty much everything Central European for affordability and interesting food and drink.

ac6000cw

Established Member
Steam - Norfolk & Western J-class passenger 4-8-4
Diesel - a set of matching EMD F7 or F9 A+B units with the stainless steel side grilles and classy paint scheme e.g. the Santa Fe 'Warbonnet'
Electric - SBB Re620 (Re6/6) in the red & grey paint scheme - just such an archetypal, powerful, Swiss electric loco, with spoked wheels and cast numbers/crests (and still going strong after nearly 40 years).

urpert

Essendine or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers
Beauty isn't always on the outside. I find the bar or restaurant car of most trains a thing of beauty. Special mention goes to any train on a scenic route, any train with local/national character/food and drink, any train with a happy hour, any train with glass glasses, metal cutlery and proper plates. Top marks to Thalys for Belgian beer, SBB for Swissness, DB ICEs and ICs for Weissbeir and draught Beck's, and pretty much everything Central European for affordability and interesting food and drink.
Agreed. I'd also put in a word for the general top-of-staircase arrangement on a TGV Duplex, with the little "sofa" area squeezed in between the toilet and luggage rack. In general the Duplex is a masterpiece of clever interior design and use of space.

RichJF

Diesel loco: EMD E-units
Electric loco: SNCF BB36300 or SNCF BB 16000

DMU: ICE TD
EMU: ETR1000 or Shinkansen 500 series.

Don't know enough about steam abroad.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Most of the Shinkansen lot, or in Europe some of the French stuff. Don't know classes very well. Steam isn't generally very pretty in Europe compared to some of ours.

duesselmartin

Established Member
Diesel loco: EMD E-units
Electric loco: SNCF BB36300 or SNCF BB 16000

DMU: ICE TD
EMU: ETR1000 or Shinkansen 500 series.

Don't know enough about steam abroad.

I agree in the ICE TD, but sadly short lived. Next best is the ICE-T. T EMU. The last ICE tilting version.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Always liked the Swiss Brünig (Interlaken - Lucerne) 2/3 width electric locos. Was this a previous "full width" loco that has been shaved down?

On Moderation
Always liked the Swiss Brünig (Interlaken - Lucerne) 2/3 width electric locos. Was this a previous "full width" loco that has been shaved down?
If you mean the Class 101 electric locos, no, they were built like that.
:D

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
If you mean the Class 101 electric locos, no, they were built like that.
:D

Sorry my bad English. I meant to say is the design based on an existing full width loco? It's the asymmetrical windscreens that make me wonder.

AJM580

Steam locos - UP 4-8-4s (plenty of videos of UP 844 online)
Diesels - Nohabs
Electric - SNCF 6500 or Pennsy GG1
Units - French turbotrains & TEE mus

On Moderation
Sorry my bad English. I meant to say is the design based on an existing full width loco? It's the asymmetrical windscreens that make me wonder.
Not directly that I’m aware of. At least not in the way that the Rhatische Bahn Ge4/4ii locos look like a scaled down version of SBB’s Re4/4ii.

Status
Not open for further replies.